The Official, "What are you listening to right now?"

NJ29

I've got some Dr. Dog going right now.  I've seen them live several times, but the last time was in a tiny record shop where there were 30 of us stuffed in a small room.  They didn't even have space for their entire setup.  it was like hanging out in a living room...they were chatting with us, passing beers around the room, taking requests, etc.  Pure awesomeness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_RvcS0PDoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojf0waAxpL0

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, COB said:

Fleshgod Apocalypse.  So righteous.

https://youtu.be/LXLl68Llf8E

Ok, so was it weird that when the dude starts screaming at the 2:30 mark, I was instantly taken back to when I passed a kidney stone ??
Seriously, I couldn't get that whole thing out of my head. 

• 1 month later...

A band I love, but gets no love--> Rival Sons.  A great blues rock sound to them.
People make comparisons to Zeppelin or other bands, but I don't really care, these guys are really solid.

Keep On Swinging just grabs you with the guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ijOlAR3zs8

Do Your Worst is a catchy one again with amazing guitar work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx60Fsu-w9M

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 6:15 AM, ArmyBengal said:

If you should happen to like either of those songs, you should look further. 

Pressure and Time is amazing

Open Your Eyes is equal to that

Just good stuff !!

Since you got me into Pantera, which I now love, I thought I’d give these tunes a try.  Really liked all 4 of them, will check out some other stuff from their albums.

I grew up with young uncles who were into all the music from the 60’s and 70’s, but especially rock. Saw my first concert with my uncle in 1976 at age 6. Kiss in full makeup when they WERE the hottest band in the world.

These days I love keeping an open mind to music. All except top 40 radio which I won’t listen to under any circumstance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 4:00 PM, ArmyBengal said:

I went to see The Prophets Of Rage a year ago and they played all the best of RATM. Wasn’t Zack singing but I got hammered and had an absolute blast.

Along that line, I was a huge fan of Black Flag, this was back in ‘92-‘93.  So fast forward about 20 years and in Columbus I got to see Henry Rollins perform pretty much everything from “Damaged” at a fundraising concert for the West Memphis 3. It was like seeing a ghost.  A surreal experience for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a word for you.... Pathetic

As in, Vince Neil touring and trying to sing all the old Motley Crue songs is pathetic .

We saw him last night and the dude’s belly is so big it’s ridiculous. Plus he can’t sing to save his life. Thank God the tickets were freebies.

On a side note, he took a break and his guitarist broke out a cover of Black Sabbath’s “Heaven and Hell”. One of my all time favorites and he crushed it.

12 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Here’s a word for you.... Pathetic

As in, Vince Neil touring and trying to sing all the old Motley Crue songs is pathetic .

We saw him last night and the dude’s belly is so big it’s ridiculous. Plus he can’t sing to save his life. Thank God the tickets were freebies.

On a side note, he took a break and his guitarist broke out a cover of Black Sabbath’s “Heaven and Hell”. One of my all time favorites and he crushed it.

He should probably receive some sort of sanction or reprimand for trying to sing "Whole Lotta Love." 

Though that transgression could be cancelled out by the merciful act of standing aside while "Heaven and Hell" was presented as an instrumental.  Dio would be a hard act to follow for anyone, but a gone-to-seed Vince Neil trying it would sort of enter the milieu of performance art.  Another interpretation would be torture.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here was something I thought about last night when I was unable to sleep.  (Yeah, I was thinking this at 2:10am)

What are some of the greatest 3 piece rock bands ??
I came up with Rush, Nirvana, The Police, ZZ Top, and Green Day, as I saw them all in concert at one point or another.
Then I looked it up and there are a bunch more 3 piece rock bands, but totally missed one of my all time favorites.

TRIUMPH !!!  That's right, I said it, Triumph !!!

Being a lead singer isn't enough ??  Great, take on both lead and rhythm guitar along with that.
Loved these guys growing up.  Thanks to my uncle for taking me to concerts when I was young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCWj8Nz5DUg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My son waited in the car while I went into the store the other day. When I came back out, I could see him playing a vicious air guitar through the windshield. I opened the door to be greeted by Rush’s “Working Man”.

I felt a profound sense of satisfaction seeing him truly enjoy that guitar riff. One of those, my job as a father is now complete moments !!!

I started up the car, turned it up proper and listened to Rush together with my 12 year old the rest of the way home.

Good times !!!

• 1 month later...