The pudgester's 2006 NFL Mock Draft

thepudgester

Mock Draft I 1/29/06

--Doing a Mock Draft in January is crazy, there might be 3 of your picks right, it is like peeing in the dark, you’ll miss way more than you get. So I’m just going to have a little fun with this and pee in the dark…All suggestions are welcome of course.--

1. Houston Texans- Reggie Bush, RB, USC- The nearly unanimous #1 pick. Personally, I don't like it, the Texans have a solid back in Domanick Davis, and a stud KR in Jerome Mathis. I just really don't see Bush drastically helping this team, he is a great player no doubt about that, but going to Houston just doesn't make too much sense. However, until a trade occurs I suppose this is the pick.

2. New Orleans Saints- Matt Leinart, QB, USC- New Orleans tried their luck with a scrambler before in Aaron Brooks and obviously it didn't end up too great. This year, they will take a winner, the NCAA's equivalent to Tom Brady, and that, obviously is Leinart. The guy has the tools to be a great pro, physical skills and a very good mentality. The Saints are a talented team and I believe Leinart will make the most of that surrounding talent.

3. Tennessee Titans- Vince Young, QB, Texas- Could very well be the #1 or #2 pick in this draft, yet he falls to 3 and Tennessee jumps on him. The guy has a special bond with McNair and may sit out a year and apprentice under McNair even more, just like the Bengals did with Carson Palmer and Jon Kitna. Young showed this year that he is not only an incredible athlete and football player but he can only win the tight ones. Texas would've likely been around 8-3 without him at best. He may be this year's best pro prospect.

4. New York Jets- D'Brickashaw Feguson, OT, Virginia- Simply put: The guy dominates games. A big guy with long arms and quick feet, he should be franchise tackle for the Jets, who's offensive line was beaten up all season. An amazing pass blocker who may rank up there with some of the best OT prospects in this decade. He is also having an extremely good week in the Senior Bowl practices and it has been reported that the Jets have been talking to this guy.

5. Green Bay Packers- A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio State- As you all know, Hawk is a personal favorite of mine. He's a pretty big guy with good speed and exceptional instincts. Hawk would quickly become a leader for this weak Packers defense, and would be an immediate force. The best LB prospect in years. He can blitz, he's solid in coverage, and stout against the run. This two-time All-American LB would likely provide the most immediate help for this below average unit.

6. San Francisco 49ers- Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland- Sure the 49ers could use some upgrades on defense, however after watching them last season it is hard not to give them an offensive player here. Vernon Davis is an absolute freak, he's strong and fast, with great hands. With Davis, the 49ers would have a nice threat to stretch the field and a safety blanket for Alex Smith. Though I think Davis is a reach here, I do believe it is a good pick for the Niners. San Francisco is a prime candidate to trade down and that could very well happen too.

7. Oakland Raiders- Michael Huff, SS, Texas- Oakland had five Int’s this past year. No, that’s not a typo, no I don’t mean one player, the team had five interceptions. Their projected starter next year at SS is Jarrod Cooper, ever heard of him? Needless to say, I think the Raiders can afford to reach a bit here and take Huff. The guy can also contribute at CB, and really had a great year for Texas. With Mario Williams still available, this is more of a need pick then a value pick.

8. Buffalo Bills- Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon- Pat Williams left them last year and the defense just collapsed. This year, Ron Edwards is expected to leave and Sam Adams is really aging. Needless to say, they could use a DT right about now, maybe two. Ngata’s stock has been constantly on the rise and would immediately beef up the Bills front four. The Bills just better hope Ngata’s still there at #8.

9. Detroit Lions- Mario Williams, DE, NC State- The Lions get lucky as one of the draft's top players fall into their lap all the way down at #9. They resist the urge to take another WR and take Williams. Mario Williams will be an immediate starter and contributor for Detroit, and could probably crack double digits in sacks within his first couple years in the league. Easy pick here, other possibilities are Chad Greenway, Winston Justice, Eric Winston, and Marcus McNeill.

10. Arizona Cardinals- Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt- At this point this pick is a reach and the Cardinals could definitley go a different direction with this. If Vernon Davis is here, he's the pick, yet he's gone so the Cards will have to take a chance on this guy. All week at the Senior Bowl he had his ups and downs, great tools, but questionable decision making. At Vanderbilt he had no weapons, he goes into the desert with a roster loaded with young offensive talent. I think he will develop into a good player, but I'm not sure if he's a starter his rookie season.

11. St. Louis Rams- Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech- No matter how many mid-round picks the Rams spend trying to put together a good secondary it just doesn’t work, finally they will burn a 1st round pick on a CB. Now I’m not the biggest Williams fan, so I will just make a note that Tye Hill could be the pick here if he runs an insane 40. As of right now though, Williams is the guy.

12. Cleveland Browns- Manny Lawson, OLB, NC State- Rumors say the Browns really like this guy. This is certainly a reach at this point, yet if he runs maybe under a 4.55 at the combine we all may stop scratching our heads and agree. He’s not the physical freak Merriman was a year ago, but Lawson is a tall, smart, pass-rusher who could develop into a very good rush LB in Crennel’s 3-4 scheme. As I have said before, and extra 10 pounds would be nice to boost the guy up to 250 and make him more of a balanced LB. I figure he will adjust to LB better than Matthias Kiwanuka would, so Lawson is my pick here, deal with it.

13. Baltimore Ravens- DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis- An OT is a very strong possibility here, however, after watching the Senior Bowl the Ravens will realize that with Williams they are not only filling a hole, but also grabbing the best player available. DeAngelo Williams may be small, but he is compact and runs tough, he's got great speed and quickness and is a real home run threat. He displayed soft hands in the Senior Bowl game and elusiveness after the catch. OT is a strong possibility here, and it will be tough to pass on Huff if he falls to them, however with Huff gone, Williams is the pick.

14. Philadelphia Eagles- Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa- The Eagles are patient and both their guys, Greenway and McNeill fall to them. athey decide to target the more pressing need and take the big LB out of Iowa. Greenway solidified his spot as the #2 LB in Mobile this weekend and the Eagles really are lucky for him to fall this far. With the lack of size in their LB core, Greenway is the perfect solution at 6'3 240.

15. Atlanta Falcons- Eric Winston, OT, Miami- It is not a secret, the Falcons need to protect Michael Vick better, especially his bind side. With Winston they get one of the draft's top pass blockers. Winston is a huge guy at 6'6 310, and has great upside. DE and S are two other needs here, making Matthias Kiwanuka, Tamba Hali, and Ko Simpson all possibilities. It is unanimous, though, that OT is their most glaring need as of right now, and what they need is a pass-blocker, Eric Winston is the man here over Justice and Scott.

16. Miami Dolphins- Tye Hill, CB, Clemson- Right now this may be considered a bit of a reach but after the combine it may very well be a steal. The guy looked great the whole Senior Bowl week, this draft's best cover corner without a doubt. If the guy were to run a 4.3 flat or possibly under, I think he is a top 15 pick and a steal here. The Dolphins need a corner for several reasons, Sam Madison will be 32 next year and is not the player he used to be and I'm really not sure if Travis Daniels is starting calibur.

17. Minnesota Vikings- LenDale White, RB, USC- The Vikings should be thrilled White fell this far. Finally, they get a bruising redzone guy who could probably carry the load for the team and take 25-30 carries a game if needed. White has decent speed for his size, but obviously his main strength is his power, especially inside the redzone. I don't understand how you can split time with the nation's most electrifying player and still get more than 20 Td's, it is just crazy to think about it. DeMeco Ryans is another guy the Vikings could be targeting, but with White on the board they shouldn't have to think twice.

18. Dallas Cowboys- Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn- Mcneill is a steal and a great fit in Dallas. A dominating run blocker to pave the way for Julius Jones and Marion Barber. At 6'9 340 Marcus McNeill is a very intimidating LT, probably the biggest player in this draft. Still a bit raw, more so in the pass-blocking aspect of the position, but with a little teaching McNeill could be an elite LT. Santonio Holmes will be considered here also because of the Cowboys age problems at WR, however LT seems to be the more immediate concern.

19. San Diego Chargers- Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State- Keenan McCardell is 36 and Eric Parker really doesn't look like a #1 receiver, Santonio Holmes on the other hand is a polished player who could come in and make a difference immediately for the Chargers. This draft is very thin with quality WR's, in reality there may be only one with a future as a #1 receiver, that would be Holmes. Holmes is a great route runner, with good speed and quickness. He gets good separation and has very good hands, by far the most polished receiver in this class. Ko Simpson is another strong possibilty here, as is an OT.

20. Kansas City Chiefs- Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas- Willie Roaf will be 36 next season and now is the time to start looking for his replacement. The Chiefs were extremely interested in Scott for the entire Senior Bowl week, talking to him several times for pretty long periods of time. This makes sense considering Scott is a developmental prospect at LT. The guy is only considered a project because of his strength problems, you wouldn't expect that at 6'6 310. The guy has lots of potential and if any team can develop him, I think it is the Chiefs. Jay Cutler, Santonio Holmes, Tye Hill, and Marcus McNeill will also be considered if they are available.

21. New England Patriots- DeMeco Ryans, ILB, Alabama- This was a pick I was not so sure about. Cromartie, at this point, does not deserve to be the 21st pick, even though he has the tools, so the Pats should just put off that need until the 2nd round. New England would be thrilled to see Ryans fall this far, it’d be a great value for them. Also, ILB’s for their 3-4 is a need for them, so it would also be a need pick. I also considered Abdul Hodge here after his impressive week in Mobile, however Ryans would be the better value here.

22. Denver Broncos (from WSH)- Matthias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College- The Broncos had just 28 sacks a year ago, 6 total from their starting DE's Courtney Brown and Trevor Pryce. Kiwanuka is expected to become a great edge rusher in this league, he has great size at 6'6 258 and great speed. This is a guy who has been stalked by NFL scouts for the past four years because of his athletic and pass-rushing ability. The Broncos could also go DT here with Rodrique Wright or Broderick Bunkley, or they could opt for DE Tamba Hali, but I believe Kiwanuka is a great value here who would quickly upgrade the Broncos D-Line.

23. Tampa Bay Buccanneers- Winston Justice, OT, USC- The Bucs allowed 41 sacks a year ago, and had the 25th ranked passing offense in the league last year. Needless to say, a pass-blocker might be their best bet to solve this problem. Justice is a big guy at 6'6 300 with excellent skills and pure athletic ability, particularly in pass-blocking however, the guy is a headcase making him a risky pick. Justice could easily be a Top 10 pick if it wasn't for his off-the-field problems, and he may very well fall out of the 1st round completely similar to Anttaj Hawthorne a year ago. Talent here overshadows character, making Justice at 23 a nice value pick, we'll just have to see if the guy can keep his act together.

24. Cincinnati Bengals- Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State- Before you say the Bengals can't stop the run and Wright would be a better fit, look at the facts. The Bengals recorded 28 sacks last year and Justin Smith had to fight off double teams all year, Bunkley is the top pass-rusher at DT, Bunkley beefed up to 300 lbs, making him more of a dual threat. In reality, I'd be very happy if we were to get Bunkley, I think it'd be a steal, I just hope he is not gone by then. Bunkley is disruptive, big, and strong and should start immediately for the Bengals, this guy will hope both the pass-rush and the run defense. Darnell Bing and Rodrique Wright are two other possibilities.

25. New York Giants- Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State- The Giants take a chance here and select a very undersized LB who they hope can turn into a Jonathan Vilma like performer. If Sims were two inches taller and 15 pounds heavier, we'd be talking about him in the Top 10. But, he's not, and we're not, and this remains a reach because of his size. Sims is a very fast, agressive LB who has everything except for the size. Thomas Howard, Antonio Cromartite, Claude Wroten, and Rodrique Wright all remain possibilities here.

26. Chicago Bears- Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia- If there is one guy in this draft who has mismatch written all over him it is Pope. At 6'7 250 Pope is fast and displays good hands. He gets good separation and is a big threat downfield and in the redzone. He's still a bit raw but he may have the chance to start in a Bears offense that has struggled getting big plays. Pope is not too much of a blocker, but has some potential with his long arms and he could add some weight to his frame. A good fit in Chicago.

27. Carolina Panthers- Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas- Right now the Panthers have injury-prone Kris Jenkins and againg Brenston Buckner at DT, so it is easy to figure out that they'd like another disruptive force inside to help free up Rucker and Peppers on the edges. With Wright, the massive DT from Texas, Carolina easily has the most intimidating Defensive Line in the NFL. Wright cannot be left alone or even usually in a 1 on 1 situation, he will take away double teams on the outside, freeing up Peppers and Rucker. Other possibilitis are OT if one of the top-tier one's fall this far, Maurice Stovall or Martin Nance, or possibly Laurence Maroney.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars- Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State- Jack Del Rio will be doing cartwheels if Hali falls this far. Finally he will get the 4th piece to his all-star line in Penn State's Tamba Hali. Now this will be a defensive line that will challenge the statement in my pick above. Hali is polished enough to make a good impact his rookie season, though slightly undersized, Hali is fast, strong and uses his hands well. He is pretty quick and has some nice pass-rushing moves. Hali is a Top 15 calibur player and will be a major steal at 28. Other possibilities include a CB such as Antonio Cromartie or a RB such as Laurence Maroney.

29. Denver Broncos- Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame- Denver has several fast and quick WR's but what they don't have is a 6'4 216 WR who will be physical and go up and get balls. It is hard to miss this giant target at WR. Stovall is also a good blocker. Now most of you may say that Stovall is a reach here, but not really; Denver has been talking to Stovall all week at the Senior Bowl and he could be their guy if they are to opt for a WR. Also he had a good week and has moved up to the #2 Receiver spot behind Santonio Holmes. Other possibilities incude: A DT (if Bunkley or Wright is availabe) and possibly a S because John Lynch is getting a little old.

30. Indianapolis Colts- Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota- Odds are Edgerrin James is gone because of the cap. Maroney is a tremendous talent and would be a steal with the 30th pick. Maroney is fast and surprisingly powerful, yet he is not too big. He had an amazing season this year at Minnesota. His hands haven't really been tested. With Maroney the Colts offense really won't lose too much if James is to leave. A LB such as Thomas Howard is another option here.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers- Ko Simpson, FS, South Carolina- The Steelers get the steal of the First Round here as Ko Simpson, the draft's best FS falls to them at 31 or 32. With Chris Hope likely leaving as a FA, it seems like perfect timing. Simpson is an aggresive, ballhawking FS that can both hit and cover. He doesn't have too much experience, as he only played two years in college, but seems mature enough and has lots of potential. Simpson will likely be long gone by this pick, but here he is in my mock. A 3-4 DE such as Rodrique Wright, Claude Wroten or Orien Harris are other possiblities. If Randal El leaves a WR could be the pick.

32. Seattle Seahawks- Chad Jackson, WR, Florida- The Seahwaks need an explosive receiever with good hands, Jackson fits the bill. With Warrick and Jurevicius both free agents a WR is a necessity in the early rounds, and since all the 1st Round DT's are gone Jackson is the pick. Jackson has great speed and outstanding big-play potential even though his numbers wouldn't tell you that.

--Alright now I understand there are plenty of reaches and a lot of players falling, but just read my reasoning and it should make sense. I did a lot of work for this, it took me 3 days. Enjoy!--

I have 5 problems...

1. Vernon Davis won't go that high.

2. Jay Cutler will go to Oakland or Arizona

3.Winston Justice will be in the top 15

4.Where is Derrick Haggan?

5. Bengals will draft Ko Simpson..that woud be a bad move drafting Ko if I were the Steelers, IMO.

You have 5 questions, I have 5 answers.

1. To tell you the truth, I don't think so either. I think the Niners will trade down and the Browns will move up to get Ngata. However, the 49ers got 224 yds a game on offense last year and it is hard to say they need more help on defense. Davis could be that big-play threat they lacked a year ago. It would be DeAngelo Williams, but Frank Gore looked promising in his rookie campaign Vernon Davis is the pick because no WR is worth a Top 15 pick this year.

2. Jay Cutler does go to Arizona in my mock.

3. Justice has struggled in his career with big time character issues, history tells us these kind of guys slip on draft day. His talent is Top 15 calibur, I'm not doubting that at all.

4. Derek Hagan lowered his draft stock dramatically at the Senior Bowl, he could catch a ball and looked like he had below average speed, not to mention being smaller than scouts originally thought (6'1 203) Hagan is likely to go in the 3rd round.

5. Bunkley fits the Bengals needs, a quick disruptive tackle with the size and strength to maintain his gaps as a run defender, he had 23.5 TFL this season. He is also a strong pass-rusher who would free up the edge rushers like Smith, Geathers, and Pollack, as well as get some interior pressure. There are also several S prospects in the 2nd round area, Donte Whitner, Greg Blue, and Bernard Pollard all fit the bill as strong run-supporters from the S position.

Read the reasoning for the Steelers, it should answer your question.

I still disagree with you about #5, but hey this is what this forum is for, disagreement! Ha, but hey the rest of your mock i think is pretty good. I think you almost nailed every teams needs head on. Good Mock.

The Vernon Davis pick? If so, as I said, I disagree with myself. I think they will trade the pick, Davis is not a good value at 6, but neither is Holmes, and they don't need a RB. So as I said, I think if the Niners stay at 6, Vernon Davis is their guy.

No about Bunkley going to us...don't see it happening. Look at the sig. and you will see who I like for that spot... :)

Oh ok. I think that pick could go many ways, yet I see Bunkley as the Bengals best bet at #24. I have explained why already, I guess as you said, just a little disagreement. I respect your opinion, and I'd have no problem with Simpson.

DT is NOT a 1st round necessity for us, AT ALL.

We still have JT and BR, no matter how pathetic and underachieving they are.

As well as Smith and Askew. (hopefully the 2006 starters)

We've got young guys who can take over at DT, you can't say the same for our Saftey or CB positions.

Saftey and CB are more pressing areas than DT, please don't listen to all that media bulls**t about how we need a DT in the first.

I still think Dan Wilkinson is going to be a Bengal in 2006 somehow, if we got him (or any other 320+ DT), you can throw a first day DT for us out the window.

Obviously there needs to be a change up front, and it starts in the middle. DT is a big need for us, Robinson is over 30, and Thronton is not powerful enough to be a big time playmaker. Shaun Smith and Matthias Askew are in no way nearly ready for a starting position.

Brodrick Bunkley fits great, a strong, quick, powerful guy who can both stuff the run AND rush the passer. As I said before, 23.5 TFL, he was one of the best run stuffers in the nation a year ago, and an extremely disruptive force for Florida State. At 6'2 300, he has the size and bulk to make a serious impact in the NFL as well. He is the only 1st round DT I'd consider (other then Ngata.)

If Bunkley's not available, I'd take Bing. If they are both not there I'd target TE, if a quality TE (Pope or Davis) is not there either, then maybe CB becomes the priority. CB is not an immediate need (O'Neal, James, Ratliff) though I can understand us picking up one somewhere in the First Day. The better value for CB is in the 2nd Round so maybe we could find one there...

This is how I personally see our needs...

1. DT

2. SS

3. TE

4. CB

5. DE

6. OG

7. WR

8. LB depth

9. Backup QB

• 3 weeks later...

No about Bunkley going to us...don't see it happening. Look at the sig. and you will see who I like for that spot... :)

Bunkley looks really small to me in the pics i have seen of him. Im not sure that he could stand up to the rigors of NFL DT.

I would seriously depressed if the Squeelers get Ko Simpson.

If you it was about LOOKING big, teams would just give all the players dark visors* and Big Shoulder pads.

Some guys are big but can't play a dead Indian in a western.

Bunkley isn't one of those guys.

*I stilll think dark visors are sweet though.

Bunkley looks really small to me in the pics i have seen of him. Im not sure that he could stand up to the rigors of NFL DT.

I would seriously depressed if the Squeelers get Ko Simpson.

If you it was about LOOKING big, teams would just give all the players dark visors* and Big Shoulder pads.

Some guys are big but can't play a dead Indian in a western.

Bunkley isn't one of those guys.

*I stilll think dark visors are sweet though.

Must agree about the visors :sure: