FINAL Mock Draft Big Board 4/29

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the drop off in interest in DE's and knowing there are always people who fall alot lower in the first, it begs to ask, who might fall to us in the 2nd that we didn't expect ???

WHODEY !!!

Indeed, it looks as though we may end up so lucky... Happened last year with Odell too... Marvin is a 2nd round master, and I am sure it'll be the same story here. B)

The first DE name that comes to mind for me is Kiwanuka. It seems very unlikely that he drops all the way to 55, but the same could have been said of Odell last year dropping to us in the 2nd. It is very possible now with all these "better" prospects emerging ahead of him, like Hali and Lawson. The same could be said of one of the safeties losing ground, Simpson or Williams.

I think that you can make a strong case that the Bengals will have solid choices, all through day 1, at DT, DE and TE. Best bet, IMHO, would be to look at DE in the 1st, DT in the second, and TE in the third. Assuming, of course, those are the 3 ways they go day 1; they may still roll the dice on a corner in the first.

DT, DE, TE and CB in the 1st 4 rounds would be ideal. Just a matter of who and when.

The Bengals should have their pick of Hali, Lawson and Kiwanuka available in the 1st if they go for DE. Lawson would have the most impact off the edge as a pass rusher if the Bengals decide to consider him a DE instead of a 3-4 OLB and Hali is the best suited to play the run. But the draft is fairly solid at the position through 4 rounds with some intriguing tweeners like Chris Gocong, Mark Anderson and Stanley McClover and straight 4-3 DEs who should be able to muster more pass rush off the ends than what happened last year.

Pope, Lewis and Klopfenstein would all seem to require a 1st round pick because it's doubtful any of them will still be around by the time the Bengals pick in the 2nd. Still can't see the Bengals launching a 1st rounder on a position that does not figure prominently in the offense. There'll be players who suit the Bengals TE needs even into Day 2.

As for DTs, either McCargo or Watson might be around in the 2nd but it's probably more likely that neither will be and require a 1st if they like either that much. If the Bengals want a DT like Watson, there's several Day 2 prospects without much if any dropoff. There's much fewer McCargo types in this draft of any real quality.

CB is a must early in this draft IMO. Other than ONeal, the CB position is a liability for the Bengals and it showed in the 2nd half of the season. The age of Tory James and the limbo of Keiwan should compel the Bengals to prioritize CB this year. The most bang for the buck at the position is going to come in the 1st if they are lucky enough to get one of the better ones to fall to them.

Once again, I once thought my head would explode if we took a CB in the first, but this is looking to be more of a chance at that happening. I still think Cromartie (injury and all) would be a good pickup. He has done all he can do as well to come back and show no ill signs of the injury. Would have been a top 10 pick for sure if there was no injury.

WHODEY !!!

As for DTs, either McCargo or Watson might be around in the 2nd but it's probably more likely that neither will be and require a 1st if they like either that much. If the Bengals want a DT like Watson, there's several Day 2 prospects without much if any dropoff. There's much fewer McCargo types in this draft of any real quality.

The thing that's led me to consider pushing DT off into the second round is that it seems more and more likely that a quality DT will, in fact, slip down to us in the second. Ngata and Bunkley look like locks for the first round, but they could also very well be the only two DTs to go in the first. That leaves a big logjam at the position in the second: McCargo, Watson, Wright, Harris, Wroten, Dvorchek etc.

The thing that's led me to consider pushing DT off into the second round is that it seems more and more likely that a quality DT will, in fact, slip down to us in the second. Ngata and Bunkley look like locks for the first round, but they could also very well be the only two DTs to go in the first. That leaves a big logjam at the position in the second: McCargo, Watson, Wright, Harris, Wroten, Dvorchek etc.

Watson should be coveted enough as a 3-4 NT that he'll go before the Bengals pick in the 2nd. Sam Adams doesn't eliminate Gabe from the Bengals picture but unless Shaun Smith is jettisoned, I really can't see the Bengals with 3 heavies at DT -- would be a sight though, eh?

Given their fun with Chris Henry, I doubt the Bengals would roll the dice with a dumba$$ the proportion of Claude Wroten, despite how good Wroten is.

McCargo, Harris and Dvoracek should all be there in the 2nd. IMO Harris is a major waste of space and the other 2 would be more desirable. As for Rod Wright, he might still be there when the Bengals pick in the 4th.

Kiwi has upside but I gotta wonder why he didn't get stronger from his JR. to Sr. year. Can't imagine he's that skin tight, which makes me wonder why he didn't do what he needed to do to ensure that he kept himself in contention for Top 10 consideration during the course of the offseason and into his Sr. year. As he stands now, he looks more like a DE that will have to play for a 4-3 team that stunts heavily or be an edge rushing OLB in a 3-4 who should be able to drop back in short area coverage if needed.

Howard has outstanding range in coverage. He freaked me out when he covered WRs downfield out of the slot for UTEP. The rub with him is that he doesn't look like an agreessive enough of a run defender and goes straight up when he has to work his way through trash. That can change, though, if he can get hopped up more. The good thing about him would be the extra time in contract length that picking Howard in the 1st would afford rather than the now 4-year max for 2nd rounders. It'll give him more time to develop and learn behind B-Sim. If the Bengals target Howard, they should trade down to get him. But there's a real shot he'll be there when they pick in the 2nd.

I think Marvin will grab one of the "skill" guys that fall to us at 24....most likely another corner/safety hybrid player. Tory will have to be replaced in the not-to-distant future and Ratliff has not yet shown he is the heir apparent. Whitner or Youbouty would not surprise me here. Even Tye Hill has been projected to fall into the late teens and early twenties.

I don't want to see Youbouty getting thought at #24. I love the Bucks and all, but no...

WHODEY !!!

He is one of those quiet guys who never seemed to dominate, but yet is still thought of highly by the scouts. The same is true of Donte Whitner. He never took over a game like Hawk, Katzenmoyer, Springs, Gamble, et al., yet the scouts are high on the guy.

I think that Cromartie seems to have more upside than either of the two beloved Buckeyes.

I don't want to see Youbouty getting thought at #24. I love the Bucks and all, but no...

WHODEY !!!

He is one of those quiet guys who never seemed to dominate, but yet is still thought of highly by the scouts. The same is true of Donte Whitner. He never took over a game like Hawk, Katzenmoyer, Springs, Gamble, et al., yet the scouts are high on the guy.

I think that Cromartie seems to have more upside than either of the two beloved Buckeyes.

Yep, I'll take Cromartie over either of those two. And to think it wasn't long ago the thought of taking a CB in the 1st would have made my head spin !!!

Props to Hair for making the call long ago !!! :sure:

WHODEY !!!

Quiet week on the Big Board this week. The draftniki around the 'net appear to be settling in to their projections. Watson and Pope remain the leaders, while Tamba Hali appears to be emerging as the favorite of those who prefer a DE in the first. How much impact a Sam Adams signing, if it happens, scrambles the board remains to be seen.

DT Gabe Watson 17 (+1)

TE Leonard Pope 10 (no change)

DT Brodrick Bunkley 6 (-1)

DE Tamba Hali 5 (+1)

DT Rodrique Wright 3 (no change)

CB Ashton Youboty 2 (no change)

S Donte Whitner 2 (no change)

DE Mathais Kiwanuka 2 (-1)

DT Claude Wroten 2 (-1)

WR Santonio Holmes 1 (no change)

S Jason Allen 1 (no change)

DE Manny Lawson 1 (no change)

DB Jimmy Williams 1 (no change)

DT Jesse Mahelona 1 (no change)

S Ko Simpson 1 (no change)

S Darnell Bing 1 (no change)

By Position:

DT 29 (-1)

TE 10 (-1)

DB 8 (no change)

DE 8 (no change)

WR 1 (no change)

A lot of the few changes this week (such as the final disappearance of Vernon Davis and Tye Hill) were the result of the deletions of some very old, outdated mocks.

In the second, we have 20 mocks with selections. The leaders are:

TE Marcedes Lewis 3 (+1)

TE Dominique Byrd 3 (-1)

DT Gabe Watson 2 (no change)

TE Anthony Fasano 2 (no change)

Then 10 players with 1 vote each. Positionally, the leaders in the 2nd are:

TE 8 (-1)

DT 4 (-1)

DB 4 (no change))

DE 2 (no change)

G 1 (no change)

WR 1 (no change)

With the surplus of quality tightends available in this draft, I cannot see the Bengals taking Pope at #24. It seems they would be better served either dropping down a couple of spots or grabbing one of the corners who may slip.

DE isn't a bad idea either. Justin Smith will likely be gone after next season and quality end is not easy to obtain. Hopefully though they can grab a guy who is better in run support. The speed rushers are fun to watch, but can get abused against power running teams...ala Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Mini-update: as might have been predicted, the Adams signing is pushing mockers off of DT. As of this evening, we have our first-ever non-DT Big Board leader, TE Leonard Pope, moving ahead of DT Gabe Watson 14 to 13.

TE Marcedes Lewis has also re-emerged with 3 votes.

Bullocks and Joseph have also joined the fray, making for 8, count 'em, 8 different DBs projected as possible 1st round picks.

Big losers: Bunkley, falling to 3 (-3) votes, and Hali, falling to 2 (-3).

The upside to Cromartie seems to have firmly planted him in the 1st round.

The NFL Network's Draft Preview show for defensive players dealt some with Cromartie. Draft analyst Mike Mayock said Cromartie should go between 20 and 32. NFL.com writer Pat Kirwan said Cromartie is rushing into the 1st round and all the DB coaches he's talked to are duly impressed with him. Oddly, Kirwan also said Cromartie could be the top WR in the draft if teams decide to evaluate him that way.

And it's looking like Cromartie will remain the Bengals pick at #24 in the Bengalszone mock. :bengal:

http://www.bengalszone.com/article.php?sid=405

The upside to Cromartie seems to have firmly planted him in the 1st round.

The NFL Network's Draft Preview show for defensive players dealt some with Cromartie. Draft analyst Mike Mayock said Cromartie should go between 20 and 32. NFL.com writer Pat Kirwan said Cromartie is rushing into the 1st round and all the DB coaches he's talked to are duly impressed with him. Oddly, Kirwan also said Cromartie could be the top WR in the draft if teams decide to evaluate him that way.

And it's looking like Cromartie will remain the Bengals pick at #24 in the Bengalszone mock. :bengal:

http://www.bengalszone.com/article.php?sid=405

I'm really coming around and am fully ready to hop on board the Cromartie band-wagon. He had a hell of a work out on his Pro Day. Size, speed, and vertical jump are all very strong positives on this guy.

I would love to see one pick change in the Bengals mock drafts...Chris Gocong DE. He is this years Pollack, but without the big school, big play rep that Pollack had. Personally, I don't think it would be wise for the Bengals to take another tweener at this time.

I would love to see one pick change in the Bengals mock drafts...Chris Gocong DE. He is this years Pollack, but without the big school, big play rep that Pollack had. Personally, I don't think it would be wise for the Bengals to take another tweener at this time.

Gocong going to the Bengals in the 3rd round as a DE should have only a slightly higher probability of happening than him being invited to play "Machine Gun" at the 1st Baptist Church of McDonald Pennsylvannia. :D

So far there's no reports that teams are looking at him as a 4-3 DE. His Pro Day workout led by Ricky Hunley featured only 3 teams per Gil Brandt, who added that only 4 other teams -- 3-4 ones -- had set private workouts to evaluate his tweener tranisition to OLB. If only 7 teams are really interested in Gocong, that low of a number would have to push him down deeper into Day 2.

However, that perception of Gocong as a tweener who will have to jump to 3-4 seems a bit narrow to me, even though it should help his draft stock. Gocong is only a half inch shorter than Tamba Hali but makes up for it with 9 inches more on his vertical. Gocong was the same weight at the Combine as Hali was at his Pro Day --263 pounds. And Gocong raised the bar 28 times compared to Hali's 18. When the short area measurables get added into it, Gocong is a lot more like Dwight Freeney than Hali ever could be. :rolleyes:

Anyway, meet Mr. Gocong: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=11093

Gocong going to the Bengals in the 3rd round as a DE should have only a slightly higher probability of happening than him being invited to play "Machine Gun" at the 1st Baptist Church of McDonald Pennsylvannia. :D

So far there's no reports that teams are looking at him as a 4-3 DE. His Pro Day workout led by Ricky Hunley featured only 3 teams per Gil Brandt, who added that only 4 other teams -- 3-4 ones -- had set private workouts to evaluate his tweener tranisition to OLB. If only 7 teams are really interested in Gocong, that low of a number would have to push him down deeper into Day 2.

However, that perception of Gocong as a tweener who will have to jump to 3-4 seems a bit narrow to me, even though it should help his draft stock. Gocong is only a half inch shorter than Tamba Hali but makes up for it with 9 inches more on his vertical. Gocong was the same weight at the Combine as Hali was at his Pro Day --263 pounds. And Gocong raised the bar 28 times compared to Hali's 18. When the short area measurables get added into it, Gocong is a lot more like Dwight Freeney than Hali ever could be. :rolleyes:

Anyway, meet Mr. Gocong: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=11093

Sounds like a great guy, with potential, but I stand by my statement that I don't thnk he's the type of player the Bengals need right now. If we wanted someone like him to be an end, then we could move Pollack back and have Simmons, Thurman, and Johnson as our starting LBs.....or add Arrington. :D

One of my primary sources for draft info is nfldraftcountdown.com, run by Scott Wright.

He just revised his mock

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

with a number of suprises - for example, Jason Allen going at pick 16

Our pick, according to his mock - Kamerion Wimbley. I think this guy is way way waaaay undersized for what and I am clearly bothered that his profile includes the phrase "A liability against the run", but there you have it.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...ionwimbley.html

He also gives us Leonard Pope in round 2

Is this mock included on your "big board"?