Taking a CB?

buck3y3d

How mad would you guys be if we took Antonio Cromartie? I think he is the best DB in the draft, Youboty is way to inconsistent and seems almost slow. We need a replacement for James, and while Marvin drafts with the best available I wouldn't hate this pick.

Of course I would draft a no doubt safety or DL first, but Cromartie looked good all year.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How mad would you guys be if we took Antonio Cromartie? I think he is the best DB in the draft, Youboty is way to inconsistent and seems almost slow. We need a replacement for James, and while Marvin drafts with the best available I wouldn't hate this pick.

Of course I would draft a no doubt safety or DL first, but Cromartie looked good all year.

cromartie didn't play last season he tore his acl

cromartie didn't play last season he tore his acl

My mistake, I was watching tape from 2 years ago. Thanks for the correction.

I wouldn't be pissed if he were the pick...he's too good for that to happen. But I'll admit that I'd have more concerns than with other picks. For example....

Clemson CB Tye Hill is having a standout week of Senior Bowl practices. It's amazing how often he's either picked the ball off or been in the best position to make the grab, and he's consistently covered big wideouts well enough to completely erase my previous reservations. Looks great in orange, too.

I think that Hill's performance in Senior Bowl practices is somewhat skewed considering the QB talent that is throwing AND the WR talent that is challenging Hill. Several of the reports that I have seen are saying that Hill is not playing "fast' or up to how fast he times out, which concerns me. The other report that I have heard is that he lacks a "high" gear and the way this was illustrated was that Moss and the RB from Memphis (can't remember name right off) were so clearly head and shoulders faster and playing with another gear that it was frightening to watch and they were really separating themselves from the rest of the crowd. Hill was not doing this. Hill also lacks ideal size to match up against the best big receivers which are getting bigger and bigger. Just look at us: Chad, TJ and Henry are all over 6'1'' or 6'2''.

The rap on Tye Hill is gonna be his size, particularly his height. It's the only factor that would drop him into the 20's. Speedwise, it's been pretty clear that no one at the Senior Bowl can change their gears to track either Sinorice Moss or DeAngelo Williams. But Hill is easily the fastest and most skilled cover Cb there. That combined with his footwork, ball hawking, and ability to bump in press coverage off the line would make him a Top 10. But his height and what looks like average leaping ability should drop him into the teens and 2nd among CBs behind Huff.

Cromartie should draw a throng at FSU's Pro Day and hopefully will be invited to the combine. He looked great in deep coverage when he last played and if he even comes close to showing that again, he'll make them slobber with the size he's got.

I still like Minter but I haven't seen him at all from what I could see at Senior Bowl practices and there hasn't been any talk -- good or bad -- about his play from either Mayock or Kirwan or what even less I saw from Smell and his crew. Minter proly has a better shot at going in the 4th than the 1st if he didn't separate himself in the minds of scouts during the week. Not likely he can overcome ambivalence although he'd have a better chance of doing that than it sounds like Anwar Phillips will have of convincing anyone he's not a Day 2 pick.

• 5 weeks later...
The rap on Tye Hill is gonna be his size, particularly his height. It's the only factor that would drop him into the 20's. Speedwise, it's been pretty clear that no one at the Senior Bowl can change their gears to track either Sinorice Moss or DeAngelo Williams. But Hill is easily the fastest and most skilled cover Cb there. That combined with his footwork, ball hawking, and ability to bump in press coverage off the line would make him a Top 10. But his height and what looks like average leaping ability should drop him into the teens and 2nd among CBs behind Huff.

I love the guy and had him sharing the top spot on my 1st round short list, but Bresnahan's comments about how the era of the small cover corner has passed has officially rocked my world.

Bres may love size on the corner, but I prefer pure speed and ball skills.

Tye Hill just ran 4.37 and a 4.36. (Unofficial) He didn't seem happy with his times.

Michael Huff had the exact same times.

And Chuck Bresnahan, if you're reading this...and I know you aren't, Hill ranked 2nd amongst corners and safeties in the standing verticle jump with an even 41.0"

I think Cromartie ran in the 4.4 - 4.5 range. Looked pretty good doing it.

They posted today's times....

Hill turned a 4.30 according to them...

Huff a 4.34....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9273126

The times I mentioned were the unofficial clockings announced during the televised coverage. They official times aren't announced until later when all of the results are in. The announcers can't wait that long, but claim that most of the unofficial times are close. Regardless, I understand now why Hill was upset despite running a smoking 4.36 as they said before he ran that he was hoping to run the fastest time at the combine. The unofficial clocking didn't give him that, but the official clocking beats the best previous time by .02

I figured that was the case. It is kind of annoying that they give the "unofficial" times on the air then post data that varies here and there...

Tye Hill showed he can cook, as did Wretched Ones Joseph.

Still not sure who thinks Huff's stock is dropping...

Cromartie didn't do very good in the 40.

I got 4.49 and 4.58.

I thought he was pretty impressive. First, he ran all of the drills, including the ones that demanded he backpedal, which Jason Allen didn't do. Second, he almost always looked smooth and appeared to run pain free. Next, he flashed good technique and caught the ball at the highest point during the interception drill. Last, I'm not sure anyone expected him to be at 100% so right now running a 4.4 anything looks pretty good.