Draft Depth

Tasher

This is an excerpt taken from http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/Dr...arlyEntries.htm

...and there are some other good comments around various positions, but having read this, I will revise my opinion expressed in other posts...

We will take the best safety available with the 24th pick and a DT with our 2nd pick of the draft considering how drastically the safety pool drops off after Bing/Huff/Simpson et. al. It is simply to big a risk to not get the impact safety that we need with a very late 2nd round pick and Marv's demand that his safeties be able to cover somebody in pass coverage as well as the ability to support the run.

Bernard Pollard, S Purdue

Projected: 2nd to 3rd round

Good or bad move? In a thin year for safeties, he'll likely find his way into the second round because of his hitting ability. He's questionable at best in pass coverage.

I'm willing to bet that this year's day one will be like the last couple with at least one name in there that makes you go

WHA? :huh:

WHO? :o

And he will be an impact player right away. :sure:

I know there are many that claim that they knew EVERYTHING about Madieu when he came out, but there were just as many that made the same response of WHO ??? when his name was called. I was one of those people, but have resigned myself to the fact of the Bengals scouts know more than I about these players in the draft. If any of our drafts turn into a Madieu type player, I'll just put a smile on my face !!! Anyone else completely psyched about Madieu coming back next year ??? I can't wait !!!

WHODEY !!!

Seems to me that the best way to go about this is to take a combination of various top 100 players lists and the positional ranking lists and develop some sort of a set of consolodated lists for our targets.

This gives us a couple of things: combined top100 will be more than 100 players so it should depict who will go in the first three rounds with some degree of accuracy (not accurate to pick, but accurate within 20 picks or so) (Look at odell as an example last year). And it gives an idea of the order that people will go within their position (obviously this can vary somewhat, but nobody thinks that Fifita will get picked before Nagata, right?)

finally, you take a look at us picking roughly 24th in each round and you gain a better idea of what person/position we will pick where based on who falls where and what we have drafted earlier or who will be available later, etc. etc. (also based on who fits schemes, who the coaches like, etc.)

voila!

:cheers:

here is the list is used during the late college and bowl season to track who i wanted to watch, keep in mind this is old and not updated for who is or is not in the draft yet, and rankings are based on mid to late season performance and not updated based on drug arrests or other post season results/issues...

# Name Position College Height Weight 40-Time

6. Haloti Ngata DT Oregon 6'5'' 338 n/a

10. Michael Huff S Texas 6'1'' 205 4.45

23. LaRon Landry S L.S.U. 6'2'' 187 n/a

26. Brodrick Bunkley DT Florida St. 6'3'' 284 5.05

29. Darnell Bing S USC 6'1'' 220 n/a

31. Claude Wroten DT L.S.U. 6'3'' 290 5.09

35. Rodrique Wright DT Texas 6'5'' 305 5

37. Gabe Watson DT Michigan 6'4'' 331 5.1

41. Jesse Mahelona DT Tennessee 6'2'' 297 5.05

48. Jason Allen S Tennessee 6'2'' 202 4.5

55. Bernard Pollard S Purdue 6'2'' 226 n/a

59. Dusty Dvoracek DT Oklahoma 6'3'' 298 4.94

61. Babatunde Oshinowo DT Stanford 6'2'' 320 5.26

62. Greg Blue S Georgia 6'2'' 214 4.42

76. Jonathan Lewis DT VirgTech 6'1'' 296 5.02

77. Roman Harper S Alabama 6'1'' 200 4.6

78. Orien Harris DT Miami (FL) 6'2'' 302 5.2

79. Pat Watkins S Florida St. 6'4'' 200 4.5

81. Kyle Williams DT L.S.U. 6'2'' 295 5.22

86. Daniel Bullocks S Nebraska 6'2'' 210 4.54

88. Anthony Smith S Syracuse 6'1'' 194 4.56

95. Brian Iwuh S Colorado 6'0'' 225 4.66

96. Titus Adams DT Nebraska 6'3'' 300 n/a

What positions do you guys want to go after in the seven rounds? Here's what I think would work best (this is assuming we can land at least a marginal free agent defensive tackle).

1.) Safety

2.) Defensive End

3.) Defensive Tackle

4.) Tight End

5.) Quarterback

6.) Cornerback

7.) Safety

My positional order of priority:

1. S/DT - I keep going back and forth on priority of S/DT but I suspect this will be a S

2. S/DT - whichever we don't pick in round 1

3. CB

4. DE

5. TE - THIS is the deppest position in the Draft!

6. LB - (depending on FA results, this is for ST

7. OL - backup/depth development

:flex:

Let's not forget that we may want to draft a punter in 6 or 7, to ensure we get the best one we can, particularly if he can also take over kickoff duties from Graham, who's quite good on PATs and FGs (ergo the pro bowl selection) but not so good on kickoffs.

Good point, though I bet we could land a solid rookie free agent punter after the draft, just like we did Larson. I have a feeling he will get one more year to improve his consistency anyways.

Another position I forgot to mention that Tasher covered is offensive line depth. If we can't get all of our big guys extended this year, we'll need to have some youngsters ready to go in 2007.

Agreed on both counts, but - and I haven't checked to see if this is true or not yet - if a single specific punter is significantly better than than all others, and is available in 6 or 7, you're taking a huge risk not drafting him at that point, as he will then pick the team HE wants to play for, more or less.

Yeah, I know, you knew that already, but I'm of the mind that a position player you get in 6-7 doesn't tend to be one who can contribute right away, but a top notch FA punter who can also kickoff into the end zone would DEFINITELY contribute in 2006 - and this sort of player is generally available in later rounds.