Official "Pimp Your Favorite Player"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pope is the man at TE, 6'8'' nuf said! No, I do not dispute the abilities of any of the others, but if I am drooling, that 6'8'' frame is interesting and gives an element that we currently do not have, yes we have size and speed, but not THAT size!

Hell yeah Pope is the man! 79099.jpeg There is no better choice at T/E IMHO! 86947.jpeg

I personally don't think that size is as big of an issue. I would rather have a smaller guy who is an athlete rather than a mammoth who can't play a dead Indian in a western. I'm not saying that it is the case with Pope, but you guys seem to be getting a little too excited about his size.

I personally don't think that size is as big of an issue. I would rather have a smaller guy who is an athlete rather than a mammoth who can't play a dead Indian in a western. I'm not saying that it is the case with Pope, but you guys seem to be getting a little too excited about his size.

I'd be just as happy with lewis 6'6? or schobel 6'5 :P muaha Give or take a few inchs is fine I just don't want a short TE (6'0-6'3) 6'3 is ok if it's davis ^_^

Wow, for some reason I thought he was a sophomore. I would love that pick. McClover is a machine.

The McClover Machine....not quite as catchy as the Shazor Train :lol:

But I'm expecting to be doubtful he'll last until the Bengals pick in the 3rd. It's a weak year for 4-3 DEs with some off the edge potential. Some of the better ones like Darryl Tapp, Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, Kamerion Wimbley, and Chris Gocong look more like 3-4 OLBs.

Of those Tapp has a legit shot at 4-3 DE but after Tamba Hali and Kiwi, the truer 4-3 DE crop looks stunted...Ray Edwards has a shot to boost his stock but after that it's looking pretty much like late Day 1 or Day 2 material in Eric Henderson, James Wyche, Charles Bennett, and Victor Adeyanju.

1. S Michael Huff - TE Vernon Davis - DT Brodrick Bunkley - S Ko Simpson

2. S Donte Whitner - TE Leonard Pope - DT Claude Wroten - CB Cedric Griffin

3. S Daniel Bullocks - TE Dominique Byrd - DT Babatunde Oshinowo - CB DeMario Minter

Did they change the draft rules while I was away?

We get 4 players at each pick? Way cool! I think I would spread them out more over more positions, though... :blink:

Eh? :canadian:

:lmao:

I like to see:

Round 1 -- Either Vernon Davis TE or Ko Simpson S (hoping one of them is still available when we pick)

Round 2 -- Darnell Bing S (or Donte Whitner) or Max Jean-Gilles OG -- can't guess about the big slides

Round 3 -- John Jolly DT

This assumes that each is the best "player available" at the time of the Bengals draft.

Montavious Stanley DT Louisville

Strengths

Montavious has good size and strength for his position. He uses his hands well to shed his man and has good lateral quickness and strength to cover his gap responsibilities. Montavious has marked quickness off the snap and does have some pass rushing skills. He can be used in any kind of front 3/4 as a DT or 4/3 as a nose guard.

Needs to Improve

Montavious just needs more experience at the next level. He really is an excellent DT at the college level.

Bottom Line

I would take Montavious over Marshmallow Man (Gabe Watson) any day. When you see a quality DE making a lot of plays in a game, most of the time there is a DT that is controlling the middle of the line. If not, all anybody has to do to nullify the impact of the quality DE is to run away from him. This happens a lot of times to quality DE’s in their senior years. It is not happening to Montavious, so the first thing I do is look inside and BAM! There he is right in front of your eyes -- all 6’2’ 321lbs for the world to see, a dominating DT. I don’t have a clue where this kid will go in the draft. I am always amazed that there aren’t more of them that are first rounders. This kid has first round, Pro Bowl talent. He is as good as any of the first round picks in the last few years, so it will be interesting to see where he will be rated and in what round he is taken. If your team picks him, you’re going to get a hell of a player.

by Drew Boylhart THR

November 2005

I like to see:

Round 1 -- Either Vernon Davis TE or Ko Simpson S (hoping one of them is still available when we pick)

Round 2 -- Darnell Bing S (or Donte Whitner) or Max Jean-Gilles OG -- can't guess about the big slides

Round 3 -- John Jolly DT

This assumes that each is the best "player available" at the time of the Bengals draft.

Yo! I would like Johnny Jolly, but not that early.... He'll be there later on.

I like to see:

Round 3 -- John Jolly DT

You may be right :sure:

I used the "Great Blue North" list of top 200 players and John Jolly was the one I liked best in the third round -- and I liked him on tape.

Either way, by the time you get to the third round, who knows who will be there -- it was just a WAG. :D

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

As entertaining as this board is, I think it's a safe assumption that Marvin, the Tobins, & the Browns will surprise everybody . . . . again. Thier 1st round pick has always been a 'surprise', with the exception of Carson at #1. Very few pundits were guessing Pollack (Travis Johnson) or Steinbach (all guessed a DB), and NOBODY guessed Chris Perry (everyone had Gamble penciled in, or maybe Jackson).

What everybody wanted with the #1 pick was a known commodity. What they always got was a multi-year starter, a senior, with very little 'baggage', and somebody who did well on their Wonderic. By that reasoning, and depending on their combine scores, I'll predict one of the following:

LB & DB - Greenway, Carpenter, Huff (if there), Griffin, Bullochs

DL - Dumerville, Lawson, Bunkley, maybe Kiwi or Hali if avail.

OL - McNeil, Jean-Gilles, Scott

WR & TE - Stoval, Nance, Byrd, maybe Marcedes

QB & RB - nobody (I hope)

My early 'favorites: Greenway & Lawson

The second & third rounds have 2 things in common: Just about every pick had the pundits screaming "WTF!" and they were ALL good football players with great speed. look at the list: Thurman (48), Ratliff (49), Madieu Williams (56), Kelley Washington (65), Caleb Miller (80), Chris Henry (83), Landon Johnson (96), and Dennis Weatherby (98).

My prediction: I don't have a clue, but neither does anyone else!

Err, I pimped Pollack hard on this very site, explaining why it was going to be (and should be) Pollack. I had no idea his holdout would go like it did, or I would have changed my prediction, but hey :-)

This after being very much against him just two weeks prior to that

see http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?showtopic=4968

That's great, TJ . . . now prove you were pimpimg Perry! :unsure:

That's great, TJ . . . now prove you were pimpimg Perry! :unsure:

*laff*

I am still pissed about the pick of two carry perry (he'll always be two carry perry in my book, unless he somehow goes to the pro bowlor something) and always will be :-) I screamed so loud at the moment I heard that pick that I raised the rafters.

Then again, I've mentioned that several times in other threads, so I guess you already knew that :-)

Mind you, I loved how they traded down each time and got good value as they went - I just hated the pick they eventually made. Should have been an OC or a defensive player at that spot, not two carry.

Pollack wa not that big of a surorise. I know a few days before the actual draft Mike Mayock unveiled his mock draft on the NFL Network and he pegged Pollack as the Bengals pick at 17. Also, one of the guys who came over to watch the draft at my house also picked Pollack as soon as the comissioner said the Cincinnati bengals are on the clock. I asked him what made him think Pollack would b te choice. His reply was that Pollack seemed to meet Marvin's D philosophy (fast and smart even if a bit undersized)...FYI I thoought the Bengals would grab either Erasmus James or Shaun Cody with their first rounder in '05.

I like to see:

Round 3 -- John Jolly DT

You may be right :sure:

I used the "Great Blue North" list of top 200 players and John Jolly was the one I liked best in the third round -- and I liked him on tape.

Either way, by the time you get to the third round, who knows who will be there -- it was just a WAG. :D

It's all WAGs :lol: Except if IIRC there Pap you had Pollack in the 1st from early on and you hit that nail on the head :cheers:

It'll be interesting to see where Vernon Davis winds up in this draft. He's not the giant that Pope and Lewis are, nor is he the kind of weight teams would look for in a TE to run block consistently. But he's a freak of a receiver with straighline speed, great hands, and quick in routes. Plus he's strong as an ox for his size. I think he's a Top 10 pick because he's one of those types of offensive threats who can reel of big chunks of yards whenever he catches the ball. The only question mark I see is whether he can block effectively enough in the run game to stay in all downs and keep teams exposed when he does run routes. If he fell to 24, I'd be all for the Bengals taking him.

I got a good dose of Jolly watching the Shrine Game. I can see why teams will like him because he does penetrate well with some good quickness for his size and does look able to decently shed blocks. But on the whole, I'm more partial to a DT for the Bengals who's going to relentlessly bullrush on the pass and be steadfast in the gap on run D at the left DT spot. I liked what I saw of Jolly to a degree but would hope the Bengals lay off of him unless he falls to the 5th. And even then I liked Steve Fifita and LeKevin Smith somewhat more at that spot for what it looked like they can bring to a rotation with Shaun Smith.