Giants Sign New Center

Sunday, March 7, 2004

ESPN.com news services

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Shaun O'Hara agreed to a multiyear contract with the New York Giants on Sunday after starting at center and guard for the Cleveland Browns the last four years. O'Hara's three-year deal is worth $5.4 million, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports. O'Hara, a former Rutgers walk-on who became an NFL starter, is expected to play center for the Giants. Chris Bober has started at center for the Giants, but he is a free agent and is expected to leave. "Center is my more natural position," O'Hara said. "I played center my first two years at Cleveland, and then they switched me to guard. I like playing center. You've got to be smart and you've got to be vocal, and it fits my personality." O'Hara was visiting his parents this weekend when the Giants called. "It hasn't really sunk in yet that I'm a Giant," O'Hara said. "Things happened so fast this weekend." O'Hara started 38 of 54 regular-season games for the Browns, starting the last 34 games in which he played. He played in 14 games in the 2003 season, starting six games at right guard and eight games at left guard. He missed two games with a knee injury. O'Hara was recruited out of high school by current Giants line coach Pat Flaherty, who was then coaching at Wake Forest. "When he was with the Redskins and when he was with the Bears, I visited with him every chance I got," O'Hara said. "I followed coach Coughlin's career in Jacksonville and competed against his teams there. I have heard nothing but great things about him, and I feel like I'm his kind of player." Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.