Still no moves with CD...

ArmyBengal

I still think that while there's interest in Dillon, it's limited. His age, last year's injury issues, his infamous disgruntled attitude, boom-or-bust performance all combine to push him down on everyone's list. I agree with those who point to draft day, somewhere around rounds 3-4, as the most likely time an offer will come. I suspect the Bengals will accept even a lowly fourth-rounder.

I believe after June 1st, Dillon will be dumped if he's still on the team. I really don't think he'll come to any spring training sessions, nor will he be invited. I think we'll listen to offers now, but June 1st allows a little cap penalty relief he Marvin will give him enough time to search for the team he wants. I really don't think Dillon should be in the locker room from day one, but the key to it all is the resolution to Rudi Johnson; we can't lose both.

Considering that teams are jumping on busted up,shadow of their previous selves type running backs like.. the Bears signing...Thomas Jones..

Bucs signing...Charlie Garner..

and the Steelers signing...Duce Staley..

I'm starting to worry that we could lose Dillon without compensation..

I still believe that with Mike Anderson not wanting to restructure in Denver ( 2 second round picks ). New England ( 7 picks in first 3 rounds ). will probably make a pre-draft move.

New England would probably offer a 3rd and a conditional pick.Denver might try to counter with a high second...

Kirwan on NFL.com says that the opinions of Dillon are all over the place. that leads him to  think that a deal will be made for Dillon loaded with " ifs ". The compensation we get would depend on if he got k yds or 1200 ... etc. The better he does for his new team the better our pick.

I'd like a solid 2nd rounder for him, but if this gets offered then jump on it with both feet right now. It's worth it to get rid of him and let his new guys try to figure out what it takes to make him happy.

Agreed on both counts. I could see the Bengals (grudgingly, under the it's-better-than-nothing theory) getting only a conditional '05 pick. And a second would be an absolute no-brainer.

I would love to see a bidding war break out, as chrish hopes, but I just don't see CD as that compelling a catch. One of Kirwan's other recent pieces, on how to judge your team in free agency (I think someone reposted it here), noted that he thought it was time all teams hired an outside agency to evaluate their talent, since so many appear to over-rate their players. I think we fans have a similar bias, and are over-estimating just how attractive CD is to other teams. Again, as chrish points out, look at the RBs being signed by other teams; Chrish (if I'm misreading you, I apologize) doesn't believe these guys are better than CD -- yet there they are being signed while CD sits for want of perhaps a single 2nd round pick (which the Jets were willing to sacrifice for Justin Macarins!!).

If there's a high level of interest in CD, it's being well-concealed, IMHO. I think it more likely that teams are over-valuing their draft picks (which they usually do) and -- rightly or wrongly -- view CD as much less desirable than us here in the peanut gallery.