The Draft, 1st Round

Here are my thoughts on the 1st Round....

Mercedes Lewis!!!!! If he is there, they have to take him. I know, DT and S are the big needs. Yet this is by far one of the best TE prostpects in recent years. He is as good as Shockey, Winslow, or Miller. Actually, I think he is better and would add a final peice to the best offense in the league.

My #2. Darnell Bing. That is the S that this team is missing.

After that it is the DT free for all...

Rodrique Wright. All the talent in the world, but not much of a motor. Top 10 pick in ability.

Claude Wroten. Huge talent, can pass rush and stop the run. Pot head. Another high upside guy.

Gabe Watson. Big run stuffer, but I have seen him multiple times. Seems like a monster on some downs, on other a push over. I'm not a big fan.

Brodrick Bunkley. Again, not sold here. Not the run stuffer the Bengals need.

Orien Harris. Might be the Bengals guy. Still not sold. Safer than Wright or Wroten, but not as much of an upside.

Well, there are my thoughts. I think Lewis 1st, Bing 2nd, and the rest are also rans. Try and trade down if those 2 are not there. The rest are risks or decent players, and one will be there 10+ picks later. I hate to see the DT's such a ?. If I had to take a risk I'd go Wright, but an extra pick and one of the DT's I mentioned would be better than a risk.

IMO, Vernon Davis is a better TE prospect than Mercedes Lewis and Michael Huff is a better S prospect than Darnell Bing.

Huff will not be there, so that is not my point (I'm going with who will be at the Bengals pick). As for Davis, I'm not sold. Great athlete, but I think Lewis is the best TE in the draft. Opinions differ there. Of course both Huff and Davis will be more than likely gone by the Bengals pick. They are considered by most the tops at their position. I differ at TE. For S, sure, I like Huff, but he won't be there.

good posts scott.. very accurate in your picks..

add Steve Fifita at DT in the later rounds too...

I haven't gotten into the later rounds yet. Of course if the Bengals take a DT or S in round 1, I like Fasano in RD 2. I'd like to see Pope fall that far, but I don't think that will happen. He more than likely will be a 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder. This is a great top 4 TE class and I would like to see the Bengals take one with their top 2 picks. The other pick has to be a S or DT (maybe a DE if one falls). You may be right in round 2.

How big are lewis and pope I know davis is about 6'3 a big target would be nice

Lewis is 6'6" and Pope is 6'7".

Depending on who falls and who doesn't, I'm still thinking it will be DT in the first. Can see Maybe S Greg Blue out of Georgia in the 2nd if he were to fall. Anyway around, the needs we have are pretty deep to get some impact in both the 1st and 2nd rounds. I'm putting all trust in our scouting department and am WAY excited about the upcoming draft...

WHODEY !!!

1st round: Ko Simpson, S, So. Carolina

This guy's a sophomore this year, but since he's 3 years removed from high school and passes the age limit thing, he's eligible. I'd say he has the talent to become even better than Michael Huff. He's young, fast, can cover a receiver like glue, and still brings the big hit when it matters, yet he's still a sure tackler. Veeery good upside. Just declared.

2nd round: Claude Wroten, DT, LSU

All you guys know of his issues, and also of his talent. If it was just a mistake, Marvin will be the one who can beat it out of his head. I hope.

3rd round: Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado

This guy is a sure catcher, and an accomplished blocker. We don't need an elite tight end, just one who can stretch the field and make some catches 1 on 1 with a safety or LB. This is a great pick, almost no risk at all.

I'll be back with the next 3 in a bit, gotta run now. :bengal:

Given some of the uncertainty on QB to start next year, TE might have risen on the Bengals draft board because a solid receiving TE would be more of plus for whoever the QB might if it's not Carson right away.

But I still hope they go D in the 1st and 2nd. TE has to be in there somewhere, though, especially if neither Schobel or Stewart is re-signed.

Dominque Byrd does one thing better than any TE I've watched in college this year -- break the first tackle after the catch underneath. Even w/o Carson, the TE would still largely be relegated to blocker and dumpoff receiver. Byrd ain't tall like these other fellas rated higher but he's sure handed and a tough blocker and runner. Jeff King would be another TE who could fit in as a Stewart replacement (unless the Bengals save a pick and roll with Ronnie Ghent there), but this year is loaded from top to bottom with decent TE talent. Ones like Darcy Johnson of S Fla or David Jones of LSU are more prototypical types who might be available at the end of the draft.

Bing will announce one way or another by tomorrow. I liked how he handled Marcedes Lewis in coverage vs. UCLA but didn't see him do anything impressive vs. Texas.

I still like Demario Minter in the 1st as a weakside corner who has the frame to shift in and out of safety if needed. He'd be a better cover corner than Cedric Griffin of Texas IMO, though there'd be better speed CBs available than Minter at that point.

I am trying to decide if I'm preferring Mercedes, Huff, or Wright at the moment.

If Pat Watkins from FSU (S) makes it to 22 not sure you can pass him up either?

But having one of those big Texas DT's would be nice also...and am thinking Safety, TE or DT or DE with the #1 pick.

Don't forget about Mangold at Center - after Palmer's injury I think there will be some heavy scrutiny and higher priority on protecting the franchise QB.

IMO, Vernon Davis is a better TE prospect than Mercedes Lewis and Michael Huff is a better S prospect than Darnell Bing.

Huff will not be there, so that is not my point (I'm going with who will be at the Bengals pick). As for Davis, I'm not sold. Great athlete, but I think Lewis is the best TE in the draft. Opinions differ there. Of course both Huff and Davis will be more than likely gone by the Bengals pick. They are considered by most the tops at their position. I differ at TE. For S, sure, I like Huff, but he won't be there.

I could see Huff falling to us. Safeties are always overvalued by the draft sites. I remember everybody raving about Sean Jones and saw almost every mock have him in the first round and he fell to the end of the second round. I also saw mocks that had Matt Ware in the first round and he fell to the 3rd. Huff is going to have to put up a killer 40 time and killer short shuttle time to be drafted mid first round. Don't just assume that he won't be there.

The main reason I like Davis more than Lewis is because Davis is a better blocker than Lewis is. I could see Davis developing into a TE that could stay in on all downs for us.

Here are my thoughts on the 1st Round....

Mercedes Lewis!!!!! If he is there, they have to take him. I know, DT and S are the big needs. Yet this is by far one of the best TE prostpects in recent years. He is as good as Shockey, Winslow, or Miller. Actually, I think he is better and would add a final peice to the best offense in the league.

My #2. Darnell Bing. That is the S that this team is missing.

After that it is the DT free for all...

Rodrique Wright. All the talent in the world, but not much of a motor. Top 10 pick in ability.

Claude Wroten. Huge talent, can pass rush and stop the run. Pot head. Another high upside guy.

Gabe Watson. Big run stuffer, but I have seen him multiple times. Seems like a monster on some downs, on other a push over. I'm not a big fan.

Brodrick Bunkley. Again, not sold here. Not the run stuffer the Bengals need.

Orien Harris. Might be the Bengals guy. Still not sold. Safer than Wright or Wroten, but not as much of an upside.

Well, there are my thoughts. I think Lewis 1st, Bing 2nd, and the rest are also rans. Try and trade down if those 2 are not there. The rest are risks or decent players, and one will be there 10+ picks later. I hate to see the DT's such a ?. If I had to take a risk I'd go Wright, but an extra pick and one of the DT's I mentioned would be better than a risk.

i disagree wit Mercedes lewis he isn't that good at blockin and is basicly another WR, now leonard is the inly TE i could see us takin in the first he is the best all-round TE he can block adn catch very well. Marcedes isn;t near the prospects u mentioned earlier.

Darnell bing would be a pretty good pick if he comes out, i personally would perfer ko simpson, Laron Laundry or Mike Huff but all those guys could be gone so its a pretty good pick.

Gabe Watson is fat lazy and dosn't have mucj of a motor he is a bust waiting to happen but he has the measuables of a top ten pick. Rod Wright also has great tools but he isn't a gamer he makes little impact on gamesand has played horribly the last 2 seasons so i think both are pretty bad picks for the bengals casue personally i think both will be busts.wroten is a awesome player who can penetrat and stiff the run very well he would be a great pick for us and he will probably be avalible cause of his arrest which is a blessing in disguise for us.i'm a huge fan is Broderick Bunkly he is stong quick but undersized plus he is extremly productive which not many of the other top DT prostpects are, he would give us something that we missed all season a inside passrush.orien harris is alright nnot a fan but i dob't dislike him but he dosn't have much upside and is inconsistant. but he is a good runstuffer and i think he MIGHT b eavalible withbour seond round pick

Tamba Hali,DE out of Penn State is the guy I want w/ our first pick. He probably won't be there but he is a force. Huff or Bing would be my next two top options. Save DT for the later rounds, their are a lot of good DT's but none of them seem like a sure pick.

i'm a huge fan of tamba every game i watched him he dominated, i wouldn't be surprized if he is a better then mario williams an d mathias kiwanuka

The nice thing about this year is the depth of quality safeties. Potentially four first round safeties...

Huff, Michael - Texas

Landry, LaRon - LSU

Bing, Darnell - USC

Simpson, Ko - South Carolina

That's a LOT of Safeties to go in Round 1......Two if not at the very least one of these guys will be available when we draft. I'd love to trade up and get Huff, he seems to be the safety that best fits our scheme. However, these are the times I know that Marvin's guys have down their homework on scouting and will continue to do so....They'll find the best fits for our team that won't necessarily be the biggest names. The Bengals aren't afraid to go against the grain and I respect that.

The nice thing about this year is the depth of quality safeties. Potentially four first round safeties...

Huff, Michael - Texas 6-1 205 4.45 40

Landry, LaRon - LSU **STAYING IN SCHOOL**

Bing, Darnell - USC 6-2 220 N/A 40

Simpson, Ko - South Carolina 6-1 201 4.51 40

That's a LOT of Safeties to go in Round 1......Two if not at the very least one of these guys will be available when we draft. I'd love to trade up and get Huff, he seems to be the safety that best fits our scheme. However, these are the times I know that Marvin's guys have down their homework on scouting and will continue to do so....They'll find the best fits for our team that won't necessarily be the biggest names. The Bengals aren't afraid to go against the grain and I respect that.