Marvin Must Go!

FWIW, I do not by any stretch of the imagination think that Marvin should be fired. On the contrary, I think he deserves another extension.

However...that said...the whole Chad business is not the first rumor alleging that Marvin has been reluctant this season to crack down in the locker room. There were similar allegations about the Henry 1-game suspension (that it was brought about by pressure from the vets) and that Odell was getting away with an abnormal level of crap. Combined with the fact that one troublesome but less important player did get axed when he made a mess (Reggie Myles), and it's hard to dismiss the idea that there's a different set of rules depending on who you are.

And to be fair, that's probably no different than any team, or any business for that matter. The key cogs always tend to get a little more grease.

IMHO, Marvin's challenge now is something akin to, but more subtle than, his challenge in his first season. Then, it was all about "buy-in." He had to get players to buy into his system and that he knew what he was doing -- and weed out those that didn't. Now he has another sales job to do, this time to get all those egos to buy into the idea that they are better off as an actual team, versus a bunch of guys of disparate talent levels playing together.

To put it another way I think Marvin has forged a team; now he has to temper it into an entity: not just a group of guys playing in stripes, but "one heartbeat" to use one of his terms. 53 bodies with a single mind and a single goal.

Personally, I can't think of a man with a better chance than Marvin Lewis. :bengal:

Joisey, did you just go full circle? Get extension, less control of club house, get control of clubhouse, no one better than Marvin.

:lol:

Nah, I just think you can only do so much at once. Just getting the wreck that was the 2002 Bengals in a position where they could lose a playoff game in 2005 was a feat that IMHO puts him in the running for coach of the decade. But there's a difference between assembling talent, and forging a team, and you can't do the latter until you've done the former. Well, at least on offense, he has gotten the steel and put it in the fire to heat to red-hot. Now the challenge is to pull it out, put it on the anvil, and pound it into shape.

The most disturbing thing to me centered on the mixed reaction Marvin was said to have gotten when he informed the team that they had the opportunity to extend their season up to 7 weeks longer. It has been implied that too many players on the roster were satisfied with what had been accomplished and the way they were already being hailed as local heros.

The warning sign is not directed at you Joisey......unless of course your comment is directed at me.

No, simply at the misspelling of "immediately." ;)

The most disturbing thing to me centered on the mixed reaction Marvin was said to have gotten when he informed the team that they had the opportunity to extend their season up to 7 weeks longer. It has been implied that too many players on the roster were satisfied with what had been accomplished and the way they were already being hailed as local heros.

Yeah, I recall that, too. In the end, maybe this loss had to happen. I'm not saying it was good thing, or something to be desired, or anything like that...but just one of those virtually inevitable stumbles whose sour taste builds a bigger resolve. We shall see.

Fire Marvin, he hasn't done anything for this team or city. Bring in Dom Dom Dom Dom Capers

I would be happy just to see the Bengals beat the crap out of the Squealers here in Cincy. I've been a season ticket holder now for 3 years and have yet to see us beat those crybabies. Losing the game Sunday is one thing, but to the Steelers just made it miserable. Why can't we beat them at home? I am still bitter about it :angry:

I think that TNBT was being sarcastic

Gee, at least SOMEONE realized that....

I'm just getting sick of all the doom and gloom in a season where we did what we expected to do, get to the playoffs. Before the season, the hope was for this year to be a wild card year, most likely a 1 and out. Then we started winning because we saw just how freaking good Carson Palmer could be. We saw flashes of brilliance from our patchwork secondary, who managed to make the tackles that should have been made upfront, and who became the ultimate ballhawks in the NFL.

Now all we here is we are DOOOOOOMED! There is no freaking HOPE!

Screw that. I'm sticking with the team, unlike Walzav and others who have decided next year we will be unable to score a single point.