1 thing I hate!

walzav29

It is obvious that the defensive line sucks. It just sucks. I don't want to hear about how these guys are good enough, and they just aren't in their gaps. They need better players on the line. They get no pressure whatsoever. That safety Oheleta is pathetic in every way. KK is swell and all, but he isn't any good either. Great year, and I am ready to start looking at the draft and free agency to completely rebuild this defensive line. I want a dominant defense. I'm sick of never having a defense.

I agree that our tackles and safties arent getting it done....

Madieu Williams is a start... He needs a partner back there that can actually fill a gap on the run and make a tackle if need be.. One that can cover as well.. Darnel Bing of USC can do both...

Our DT's are mediocre.. No more about how they stopped the run in the secnd half ( reason being opposing QB's were lighting up our secondary for the most part)..

Thornton and Robinson form one of the worst duo's in the NFL..

We need a run stuffing tackle that can hold a block for our linebackers to make plays... Gabe Watson would be my choice right now if he's there in the first round... If not Steve Fifita of Utah in a later round may prove useful....

S. Smith looked good Sunday. This was his first year of any playing time and I think he will be even better next year and he has no Inpact on the Cap. I think all the D line needs is to get him a partner in FA that can stop the run, drop Askew, and Robinson keep Thorton for backup and get two good DT in the Draft I agree about getting Archuleta, and we should take a safetie in mid round. This will freak everyone out, sign Tim Couch he will come cheap and he has a lot to prove. I think Carson will be ready for Camp Marvin next summer and Kitna will want to start for someone. :P:P

yeah i think our end would be 2x as efficient if we mad a force at the DT position.

Draft a DT and sign archuleta.

Would you guys give up on a big name free agent? IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Marvin will not pay for someone's name.

And do you know why they have 'big names'? BECAUSE THEY'RE GOOD! If there is not a significant upgrade in the DL next year, they will not sniff the playoffs. I know, I know, you can not tell how tough a schedule is...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. If you don't think next year's schedule will be tough, you don't watch football (other than the Bengals). Nobody with a brain thought this year's schedule was tough.

It is obvious that the defensive line sucks. It just sucks. I don't want to hear about how these guys are good enough, and they just aren't in their gaps. They need better players on the line. They get no pressure whatsoever. That safety Oheleta is pathetic in every way. KK is swell and all, but he isn't any good either. Great year, and I am ready to start looking at the draft and free agency to completely rebuild this defensive line. I want a dominant defense. I'm sick of never having a defense.

I agree - time to replace quite a few starters on that defense.

Start with a DE, a DT, SS or FS, and a CB (James is really not that good nor is Ratliff)

yeah i think our end would be 2x as efficient if we mad a force at the DT position.

Would you guys give up on a big name free agent? IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Marvin will not pay for someone's name.

And do you know why they have 'big names'? BECAUSE THEY'RE GOOD! If there is not a significant upgrade in the DL next year, they will not sniff the playoffs. I know, I know, you can not tell how tough a schedule is...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. If you don't think next year's schedule will be tough, you don't watch football (other than the Bengals). Nobody with a brain thought this year's schedule was tough.

Not generally, by the time they have big names AND A TEAM GIVES UP ON THEM they're usually overpriced and near being washed up. See "Sapp, Warren." Teams do not become perennial winners by filling gaps via big name free agents, that's how they get into cap hell like the Redskins did for about 4 years there.

Look how well we did in the draft this year, getting two starting LBs, a #3 receiver, a solid kick-off returner, and a couple other bits and pieces that may come in handy. Teams become winners through the draft, and stay winners by drafting well and finding undervalued FAs that fit into the system. Teams don't become winners by finding big names who used to be good and trying to shoehorn them into a system.

As for schedule difficulty, one never knows what happens to teams during an offseason. I thought this year's schedule might be tougher than average, when Baltimore was pegged as an 11-5 team, the Bills looked poised to improve on last year, the Texans looked at least mediocre, and every team in the NFC North looked like a potential tough team (the Lions were the media pick of the preseason).

Next year, perhaps Joke Plummer will revert to form, Chris Simms will remember who he is, the Chargers won't have a QB, Vick continues to throw picks, and Indy's triplets start showing their age. Point is, in the NFL these days, who knows?

Yes, the Bengals schedule looks hard now, but blowing up the system to try to find expensive spare parts for one year isn't a good idea.

Not generally, by the time they have big names AND A TEAM GIVES UP ON THEM they're usually overpriced and near being washed up. See "Sapp, Warren." Teams do not become perennial winners by filling gaps via big name free agents, that's how they get into cap hell like the Redskins did for about 4 years there.

Look how well we did in the draft this year, getting two starting LBs, a #3 receiver, a solid kick-off returner, and a couple other bits and pieces that may come in handy. Teams become winners through the draft, and stay winners by drafting well and finding undervalued FAs that fit into the system. Teams don't become winners by finding big names who used to be good and trying to shoehorn them into a system.

As for schedule difficulty, one never knows what happens to teams during an offseason. I thought this year's schedule might be tougher than average, when Baltimore was pegged as an 11-5 team, the Bills looked poised to improve on last year, the Texans looked at least mediocre, and every team in the NFC North looked like a potential tough team (the Lions were the media pick of the preseason).

Next year, perhaps Joke Plummer will revert to form, Chris Simms will remember who he is, the Chargers won't have a QB, Vick continues to throw picks, and Indy's triplets start showing their age. Point is, in the NFL these days, who knows?

Yes, the Bengals schedule looks hard now, but blowing up the system to try to find expensive spare parts for one year isn't a good idea.

Some times you have to suck it up and overpay to land an impact player. Corey Simon sure would have looked good in stripes. Green Bay won a Super Bowl overspending to get Reggie White. I just don't see an rookie impact DT available when the Bengals draft. 100 mediocre John Thornton type players aren't going to make this defense better.

Some times you have to suck it up and overpay to land an impact player. Corey Simon sure would have looked good in stripes. Green Bay won a Super Bowl overspending to get Reggie White. I just don't see an rookie impact DT available when the Bengals draft. 100 mediocre John Thornton type players aren't going to make this defense better.

No, but neither are 100 Warren Sapps, who not only suck but they blow your cap. If there were a reasonably priced guy out there who would solve the problem, sure. Simon I would not have minded seeing, he wasn't too pricey and had some gas left in the tank. Reggie White is a once-in-a-lifetime player.

I haven't looked too hard at the draft, but who is this impact FA DT available? Because the only thing worse than signing another Thornton is paying 5x as much for a guy who is barely, if at all, better.

I have come full circle on this argument. I used to think I wanted a big run stuffing DT with the first pick in the draft... but now I realize that it is silly. We stop the run just fine. Pittsburgh couldn't run the ball at all until they got a lead... and when they do that, they run on everyone. Not just us.

We need a pass rush, and a safety. Darnell Bing is my first choice to go back there with Madieu. We need good safeties when we have CB's that take risks.... and we need a DT not to stop the run, but to get to the QB. If we can get any type of pass rush next season, we get even more INT's.

No, but neither are 100 Warren Sapps, who not only suck but they blow your cap. If there were a reasonably priced guy out there who would solve the problem, sure. Simon I would not have minded seeing, he wasn't too pricey and had some gas left in the tank. Reggie White is a once-in-a-lifetime player.

I haven't looked too hard at the draft, but who is this impact FA DT available? Because the only thing worse than signing another Thornton is paying 5x as much for a guy who is barely, if at all, better.

Right now... there is no one (maybe Hovan). But there are plenty of teams with cap problems that will be cutting players. We can't know who they'll be yet.

1 thing I hate!

Uh...that we lost? That I'm sure I hate! :P

What I don't hate is knowing we'll be back next year even better than before, with more experience and more determination, not to mention two more shots at wreaking ever loving havoc upon each team in the AFC North! The division crown shall not leave Cincinnati! :bengal:

COREY SIMON HAD A WORSE SEASON THAN JOHN THORNTON. HE WOULD NOT HAVE HELPED OUR DEFENSE AS MUCH AS SMITH DID. My god people get over the freaking NAMES. They are NAMES.

COREY SIMON IS MORE MEDIOCRE THAN THORNTON!

COREY SIMON HAD A WORSE SEASON THAN JOHN THORNTON. HE WOULD NOT HAVE HELPED OUR DEFENSE AS MUCH AS SMITH DID. My god people get over the freaking NAMES. They are NAMES.

This is true. We really dodged the bullet on this one. We all wanted Simon (although, there were a few like me that didn't) He had one good year as a rookie, and has been living on that name ever since. He is not very good, and was over-priced. He has contributed almost nothing to the Colts.

Has anyone heard anything about Askew? It's not like Marvin to keep someone just for the sake of keeping them. He hasn't done anything, but I would think he would have been cut. He has to be showing someone something. Who are the top 5 DT's in the draft?

Translation from Marvinese to English: Askew = Buh Bye!

What a waste of a football body on a play station motivation! :angry:

Hope he likes selling used cars for the rest of his life!

This is true. We really dodged the bullet on this one. We all wanted Simon (although, there were a few like me that didn't) He had one good year as a rookie, and has been living on that name ever since. He is not very good, and was over-priced. He has contributed almost nothing to the Colts.

I stand corrected. Thornton actually had one more tackle than Simon. Marvin just said in his press conference that Free Agency is not going to fix their woes. I have just lost all patience for their continued inability to stop the run. DS, what is your assessment of Odell's rookie year? He was great in pass coverage, but how do you think he faired against the run? I wouldn't mind seeing him put on about 5-10 lbs of muscle in the off-season.