Come One, Come All and Ask the OX

Ox

Dear Ox,

In an institution claiming to be built and founded around strong moral fiber and academic aspiration such as Wright State University, why do professors insist on printing new versions of their textbooks every year, forcing me and my peers to spend rediculous sums of money on merchandise we never cared to own?

TDB

lostreader.jpg

In all seriousness, this is a topic that always hit home to THE OX. To buy a brand spanking new textbook for say, Humanities 110, was a slap in my beer-drinking, stripper funding, social lifes pile of cash face. The only good part of getting new books was maybe being able to cheapen down and buy an old book, thus saving some money attained from the parents for said purpose, then getting sloshed on it later that night.

You want to know the real reason your books cost so much?

Publishers, naturally, loathe used books and have developed strategies to depress the secondhand market. They bring out new, even more expensive editions of popular textbooks every three to four years, in a classic cycle of planned obsolescence. ((ob-suh-LES-uhns) Incorporating into a product features that will almost certainly go out of favor in a short time, thereby inducing the consumer to purchase a new model of the product. Placing sweeping tail fins on an automobile was an example of planned obsolescence.)

Revision cycles were once longer, but used books have been eating deeper and deeper into publishers’ profits. One publisher who says that revision cycles at his firm are pegged explicitly to sales revenues: falling sales means it’s time for a new edition. Go figure!!

Yet even when a professor assigns an expensive textbook, students are remarkably good at gaming the cycle of revisions. For instance, the economists Austan Goolsbee and Judith Chevalier, in a study of more than a thousand colleges, found that the year before a textbook is revised new-book sales drop sharply. That’s because a textbook in its final year is significantly less valuable, since you won’t be able to resell it. In other words, before nineteen-year-olds decide to buy a textbook, they consider not just the use they’ll get from it but also its current price, the probable future demand for it, and perhaps whether they can blow off the reading entirely. Funnily enough, they’re acting in what economists would call textbook fashion. And that serves as a check on publishers, who know that if they revise too frequently they could end up losing sales.

So basically the reason your economics book costs so much is, economics!! TADA.

Just do what THE OX did his 2nd senior year of college - don't buy any! Granted THE OX made it through that year with straight C's, but it was worth it. That and he got to know the twins from the Marketing class. Ohhh good times.

If you really are concerned with this wallet raping publishers put on you, check out this article.

Textbooks Cost Less Overseas

The Hartford Courant, Conn. Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

Oct. 22 - Frustrated with the high cost of college textbooks?

Try shopping overseas.

Just like prescription drugs, the same textbooks used in U.S. colleges and universities cost far less overseas than they do in the United States, according to a report in Tuesday's New York Times.

According to The Times, the publishing industry defends its pricing policies, saying foreign sales would be impossible if book prices were not pegged to local market conditions.

Try making that argument to college students -- or their parents -- trying to scrape together hundreds of dollars to buy textbooks each semester. The National Association of College Stores has written to all leading publishers, asking them to end a practice they call unfair to American students, The Times said.

But more students and college bookstores are wising up and starting to order textbooks from abroad. A few entrepreneurs on the Web have begun what amounts to an arbitrage business to exploit the price difference.

One Web-based company, BookCentral.com, has spent three years building a business selling textbooks from abroad to students in the United States, The Times said.

The Times cited several instances of cheaper prices abroad.

"Lehnigher Principles of Biochemistry, Third Edition," for example, lists for $146.15 on the American Amazon.com site, but it can be purchased for $63.48, plus $8.05 shipping, from the British Amazon site.

Even though textbook publishers are still trying to block such sales, the re-importing of American textbooks from overseas has become far easier in recent years, thanks to Internet sites and a 1998 Supreme Court ruling.

The Supreme Court ruled that federal copyright does not protect American manufacturers from having the products they arranged to sell overseas at a discount shipped back for sale in the United States, according to The Times.

Prior to the decision, Americans couldn't take advantage of cheaper prices abroad without violating copyright laws.

ASK THE OX

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah yes, oh wisest of bovines, but there was a much larger pic or two of this fine young lass on display on this website at one time long agone, and I beseech you to share it with us.

Perhaps you might see fit to even disclose a url for the source, which may or may not contain additional photographic evidence of her buxom and playful nature?

ah yes, oh wisest of bovines, but there was a much larger pic or two of this fine young lass on display on this website at one time long agone, and I beseech you to share it with us.

Perhaps you might see fit to even disclose a url for the source, which may or may not contain additional photographic evidence of her buxom and playful nature?

LET IT BE KNOWN - ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE!!!!!!

cm360vk.jpg

ASK THE OX

Dear Ox,

Boxers or Briefs and Why?

HOW DARE YOU ASK THE OX ABOUT HIS SKIMPIES AND NOT BE A HOT, LOOSLEY MORALED FEMALE!!!!

But since he's gone this far, THE OX will answer the question.

These are my Boxers. ---> bc0ksb.jpg

Why?

Well, there are some places, cultures, and religions that require wearing some sort of undergarments, and there are always expectations that we all don briefs, bras, boxers, panties, jocks, thongs, and what have you.

My choice is to hang loose and free. Fact is, The OX must procreate. Briefs may infact hurt the little OX's.

You see, the scrotum is the pouch that contains a pair of testes, and its purpose is to maintain the testes at a temperature of approximately five degrees less than the rest of the body (about 93.6° F). The process of sperm production is heat-sensitive. In hot temperatures, the muscles in the scrotum relax, and the testes move away from the heat of the body. Conversely, in cold temperatures, the muscles of the scrotum contract, where they can maintain their five degree temperature difference.

Briefs allow my little OX's have free choice.

21 guests, 15 members 0 anonymous members

buck3y3d, Google.com, Whur CHad At?, TDB, indybengalsfan72, HOMBRE DE ACERO, ShulaSteakhouse, Spain, Kirkendall, schroomytunes, crocostimpy3000, JoiseyCat, Rudy!04, KRUNKJUICE, Ripper, WhoDey93285

Show detailed by: Last Click, Member Name

Ox, how is Google.com a member of the zone?

OH, ALL KNOWING OX.......................WHY IS IT..........WHEN YOUR WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID LEVEL BECOMES, WELL, "BONE DRY"....................YOU GO AND BUY A GALLON OF THIS STUFF......START POURING IT IN AND EVERY DAMN TIME..............IT WILL NEVER "TAKE IT ALL IN." IS THE GALLON OF FLUID JUST TOO MUCH FOR IT TO HANDLE? WHY IS THIS?...............IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING TO KNOW THAT THE REMAINDER OF THE GALLON HAS TO SIT ON THE GARAGE SHELF, ALL LONELY AND STUFF. PLEASE EXPLAIN.............................

21 guests, 15 members 0 anonymous members

buck3y3d, Google.com, Whur CHad At?, TDB, indybengalsfan72, HOMBRE DE ACERO, ShulaSteakhouse, Spain, Kirkendall, schroomytunes, crocostimpy3000, JoiseyCat, Rudy!04, KRUNKJUICE, Ripper, WhoDey93285

Show detailed by: Last Click, Member Name

Ox, how is Google.com a member of the zone?

politically-correct.jpg

My friend, don't you know?

Google is everywhere, everything, and ALMOST as all-knowing as THE OX.

Google is also selling at $437 a share. A bit overvalued, THE OX might add.

You might be interested to know that the word "google" was first used in the 1927 Little Rascals silent film "Dog Heaven", used to refer to a having a drink of water. :huh:

But i digress. You may in fact be sorry you asked this question, my child.

Google.com was founded in September of 1998. That is where the bastard child of Yahoo.com started it's rein of terror.

You see, Google is a weapon, a secret weapon of Uncle Sam, a worldwide censor, a worldwide spy, a military operation designed to identify enemies, designed to silence dissenters. Compared to the power of Google, the hydrogen bomb is a toy! Google and Yahoo are vital components of Operation Prometheus, a covert operation that began years ago.

Operation Prometheus has an enormous data base, the biggest archive ever compiled by man. When any person in the world conducts a search at Google or Yahoo, the nature of that search becomes a part of the data base.

A mile-long list has been compiled, a list of people's names. That sinister list grows longer by the minute. An individual's identity is added to the list if searches conducted by that individual indicate wrongful thinking or harmful intent. Google is an evil enterprise, financed by the CIA; supported by the NSA, and operated by dangerous people from the infernal regions. Google is a bigger threat to freedom than communism -- the most sinister source of mind control since the McCarthy era. Google violates every precept upon which this country was founded. Google is a danger and an evil in our midst, a brutish beast without a heart or soul.

That, my children, is the real story about google.com.

Oh, and it's a Bengals fan. Which is why he was viewing Bengalszone.com. :sure:

ASK THE OX

OH, ALL KNOWING OX.......................WHY IS IT..........WHEN YOUR WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID LEVEL BECOMES, WELL, "BONE DRY"....................YOU GO AND BUY A GALLON OF THIS STUFF......START POURING IT IN AND EVERY DAMN TIME..............IT WILL NEVER "TAKE IT ALL IN." IS THE GALLON OF FLUID JUST TOO MUCH FOR IT TO HANDLE? WHY IS THIS?...............IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING TO KNOW THAT THE REMAINDER OF THE GALLON HAS TO SIT ON THE GARAGE SHELF, ALL LONELY AND STUFF. PLEASE EXPLAIN.............................

THE OX has waited for this question for EONS!! Thanks to you my beautiful lass for asking.

There is a cure to this madness, this evil wasting of the fluid.

THE OX HATES to waste his fluid! :blink:

Uhhh...

Ahem...

Ah yes, here is how to avoid such situations-

Do not pay for windshield wiper fluid. It's easy and inexpensive to make.

1. Combine 3 cups household window cleaner with 1 gallon water in a pail.

2. Mix well.

3. Open the hood of your car.

4. Pour the fluid in the windshield wiper fluid reservoir. (Use a funnel to avoid spilling fluid.)

5. Close the hood.

Now you can be economical AND see where the hell you're going at the same time!!

***Also, if you would like to try a non-poisonous drink named wiper fluid, try this little number:

1 oz Hpnotiq® liqueur

1 oz pineapple juice

1/2 oz Stoli® Vanil vodka

1/2 oz Absolut® vodka

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake, strain and serve.***

ASK THE OX

Ox,

Why is it, that when you prove someone wrong in an argument, they just say "So." and assume they won the argument anyway?

THE OX believes what you are referring to is known as the "Steeler Troll" effect.

An actual Stiller group, celebrating their big win -->theone.jpg

This usually happens when a post is made, such as this one by yours truely, which is then followed up by a response from a resident Stiller Troll.

Watch carefully:

Anyone noticed the lack of Trolls we've had recently? Last season it was nothing but Squeeler, Bronco and Buffalo trolls. I wonder why they have forsaken us? Maybe it is just that Bengals.com is taking the brunt of them.

I mean I'm not complaining, but I would like a good troll roasting from time to time.

Then Stiller troll says something like this:

Probably because your asskissing bores the schitt out of everyone.....

Then THE OX drops a backhand on the pathetic creature.

trolling5sh.jpg

A big welcome back to our resident little b*tch.

Then POOF - The Troll disappears. It as an amazing thing. You see my friend, Stiller Fan does not understand that the feces that he/she talks is utterly ridiculous and makes little to no sense at all.

Case in point:

SEASON IS OVER AND YOU QB :blush: TRY TO FINE ANTHER ONE PLEASE :lmao:

YOUR QB IT´S LIKE OREO COKIES :lol:

THIS IS THE NFL NO FOOTBALFLAG JAJAJAJAJ

STEELERS WE WON WHOS YOUR DADY

?????????????????????????????

STEELERS :lol::cheers:

As you see, Mr. Del Taco is suffering from Iron City poisoning just like his beloved football team usually does this time of year. They get so geeked up on the first few Iron Cities, they don't realize they're getting ready to choke.

Broncos - 28

Stillers - 14

ASK THE OX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ox,

How can ye have any pudding if ye don't eat yer meat?

TDB

AHHHH yes. My mind is filling that statement with all manner of innuendos that THE OX simply shall not repeat.

I do believe some of the confusion here may stem from the fact that the British tend to refer to any sweet, dessert-eaten item as pudding, yes?

(As referenced in Pink Floyd's "If ye don't eat yer meat, ye can't have any pudding! How can ye have any pudding if ye don't eat yer meat?!")

Whereas in much of the rest of the English-speaking world (note no specifics there), it means something particular:

pudding.gif

Or something like that.

ASK THE OX

OX,

Why is it that I (a central libertarian) seem to be leaning toward wanting to change my voter registration to Democrat so I can vote for Joe Lieberman?

Am I nuts or is he the only politician with enough balls to actaully say what he feels is correct, damn the party rhetoric?

Dear OX,

Long time reader ..... first time writer. I have a problem that only you can help me with. My partner and I have recently received a brand new 2005 Peterbilt tractor. Great truck, but with one really puzzling problem. You see, it has two cup holders mounted between the seats which I use regularly to hold my cup of coffee and my bottle of Dasani.

Therein lies the problem. My coffee got cold as ice, while my water got warm as .... well you know ! Now, not being a stupid individual, I immediately realized that I must have been using the Wrong cup holder for what it had been intended. The next time out .... I reversed and put the water where the coffe had been and vice versa. :wacko: The coffee Still got cold .... and the water still got Hot. How is this possible ????????

Your constant reader Redsfan2

OX,

Why is it that I (a central libertarian) seem to be leaning toward wanting to change my voter registration to Democrat so I can vote for Joe Lieberman?

Am I nuts or is he the only politician with enough balls to actaully say what he feels is correct, damn the party rhetoric?

13860.JPG

Ain't that a b*tch? Here's the low down on Joey Lieberman:

• Most well-known as Al Gore's running mate on the Democratic ticket in 2000.
  • The first Jewish candidate in the United States to have been nominated by a major party as their Vice Presidential candidate.
  • First achieved national notice for his public criticism of President Bill Clinton's ethical conduct during the Lewinsky scandal in 1998. :banana:
  • On other issues, such as abortion, gun control and the environment, Lieberman's views more closely follow the positions of the Democratic party mainstream.
  • Although sometimes characterized by his more liberal colleagues as a "Republicrat," Lieberman is viewed by others as a Democrat in the tradition of Washington Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson, who advocated a hawkish foreign policy and a liberal domestic program and whom some consider to be an ancestor of modern neoconservatism.

You are not nuts, my friend. Alot of folks, republican, democrat, libertarian what ever your stance, like the guy. Hell, in 2004 he made history by winning the biggest landslide victory EVER in a Connecticut Senate race, drawing 67 percent of the vote and beating his opponent by more than 350,000 votes.

The OX has a name for that type of beating, it's called an arse raping. :boff:

Listen, the little guy has balls. He sticks to his guns, like it or not. Take his Iraqi war stance for instance. The guy has staunchly supported the Iraq War. In a candid November 29 2005 op-ed piece for The Wall Street Journal, Lieberman praised the efforts of the U.S. military in the occupation of Iraq and criticized both parties.

Criticized both parties?? WHAT??????? How dare he!!!!

In what may be his best quote ever, Joey sas, "I am disappointed by Democrats who are more focused on how President Bush took America into the war in Iraq almost three years ago, and by Republicans who are more worried about whether the war will bring them down in next November's elections, than they are concerned about how we continue the progress in Iraq in the months and years ahead."

'Nuff said.

Change your registration my son, do it proudly.

ASK THE OX

Dear OX,

Long time reader ..... first time writer. I have a problem that only you can help me with. My partner and I have recently received a brand new 2005 Peterbilt tractor. Great truck, but with one really puzzling problem. You see, it has two cup holders mounted between the seats which I use regularly to hold my cup of coffee and my bottle of Dasani.

Therein lies the problem. My coffee got cold as ice, while my water got warm as .... well you know ! Now, not being a stupid individual, I immediately realized that I must have been using the Wrong cup holder for what it had been intended. The next time out .... I reversed and put the water where the coffe had been and vice versa. :wacko: The coffee Still got cold .... and the water still got Hot. How is this possible ????????

Your constant reader Redsfan2

WELCOME TO ASK THE OX OH FAN OF THE REDSTOCKINGS!!!

THE OX understands what you must be feeling. First it's hot, then it's........LUKEWARM, only finally to be cold. much like THE OX'S married sexlife. Except when the sister in law comes over and wears those little tanktops with those big brea...... errrr

Ahem...

As The OX was saying. there is a solution to your problem my friend. Let me give you 3 words:

Bean bag mug

This is basically a mug with a sizable "bean bag" for a base. The bag could contain metal (magnetized?) pellets (buckshot) if additional weight is desired. While the bean bag mug will allow you to set your coffee down just about anywhere with the assurance that it won't spill, it also protects from the unneccesary transfer of precious heat.

No?

Well then I propose to you:

Climate controlled cup holders

Car manufacturers should have cup holders that have separate air controls. So you'd place your coffee in a cup holder (the ones that actually surround the cup base) and you can channel the warm air to the cup. Or, vice versa, take your H2O and place it in the holder and channel cool air. This will keep the drink at its desired temperature longer than leaving it out in the open. You wouldn't need extra systems because if you want the drink hot and your using the heater, just channel some of it to the cup. Or, if you're using the heater but want a cold wawa, this would turn on the A/C for the cup and use the heater for the rest of the vehicle. Or this could be switched for cold situations.

Still no good?

Use the crotch method.

jeffscrotch.jpg

You know, keep one of the bottles against the boys while you drive. I would recommend the water bottle, as the heat could possibly damage the twins.

ASK THE OX

• 2 months later...
Dear Ox,

Chinese New Year will arrive this coming Sunday, January 29 and it will be the year of the dog. 2009 will be the year of the ox. How do you plan to celebrate 2009? I would assume that you're already putting things together for your year long celebration. What will be the highlights of your 2009 party?

SAB

The Year of the OX will be a special time for your favorite horned guru.

The OX will be celebrating ALL YEAR LONG by playing and defending his:

BEER PONG CHAMPIONSHIP

For those of you who do not know what this magnificant game is, it's:

a drinking game that involves propelling a table tennis ball across a table with the goal of making the ball land in one of several cups of beer. The game generally involves two teams, each composed of two people. Once a player is scored upon, he/she is supposed to consume the entire amount of beer (or other alcoholic beverage) that resides in the cup where the ball landed. When one of the teams has scored in all of their opponents' cups, the game is won.

While having a remarkably simple premise, the game has a great depth of skill and strategy with different kinds of shots, cooperative planning, and a large element of confrontational psychology. These elements combined with the debilitating effects of alcoholic beverages creates a complex alluring game, or as some say, a sport. Beer Pong also has a remarkable number of variations and styles, which can depend on the area of the country, state, or even what house at which the game is being played. Today, beer pong has become a staple of American high school and college subculture, and along with Quarters, is one of the most played drinking games in the United States.

Beer_Pong_Scene.jpg

The OX hates to brag, but he is a defending, undisputed co-beer pong champion of the world. :cheers:

Or at least the defending, undisputed co-beer pong champion of Kentucky. The OX helped bring Beer Pong to this great state in the year 1997, at a garage in the city of Richmond, Ky, near Eastern Kentucky University.

Beer Pong is aranged as so; Beerpong.png

If any of you, my children, wish to know more about this future olympic sport, please PM me or ask your questions in this forum. I will be happy to answer.

More info may be found here.

ASK THE OX

Dear Ox,

A beer pong related question. Semi-recently, a friend and I were dominating two massively intoxicated females in a beer pong tournament. We had nine cups standing, and they two. My partner bounced the ball into one of their cups. Both of their cups were to be eliminated, and victory was to be ours. They then claimed that a game of beer pong cannot end on a bounced ball. We argued over it for a short while, but then just decided to continue with our huge lead. Well, we choked and let them comeback to win.

Tell me, Ox. Did we win that game before we choked?

Dear Ox,

A beer pong related question. Semi-recently, a friend and I were dominating two massively intoxicated females in a beer pong tournament. We had nine cups standing, and they two. My partner bounced the ball into one of their cups. Both of their cups were to be eliminated, and victory was to be ours. They then claimed that a game of beer pong cannot end on a bounced ball. We argued over it for a short while, but then just decided to continue with our huge lead. Well, we choked and let them comeback to win.

Tell me, Ox. Did we win that game before we choked?

The first thing that must be known to the masses is that there are many ways to play this sport, as demonstrated below:

Beerpong_shots.png

The OX plays the bounce shot the entire game. No paddles, no throwing, unless it's in retaliation. Instead of a bounce counting as 2 cups, it only counts as 1. This makes the game much more complicated.

The more important question my friend is not did you win before you choked, but did you score?

No, I mean, did you SCORE?

boom7cr.jpg

YEAH, that's what I'm talking about.

Seriously, you know everyone is a winner at Beer Pong, baby. :sure: