Tight ends

futurebengal08

maybe its time to tweak the system to include another option for Palmer when the receivers are covered and Rudi is in the game trying to catch dumpoffs with hands of stone...

You really havent a clue about how to upgrade a team do you?

Gee, could the key to upgrading our team have absolutely nothing to do with a tight end? Perhaps some guys on DEFENSE and depth on our offensive line in preparation for the post 06 offensive lineman exit interviews?

Mark my words, WE WILL NOT WASTE A FIRST DAY DRAFT PICK ON A TIGHT END WHEN WE DO NOT NEED ONE.

The question at hand is whether the bengals apparent TE under-utilization is a result of talent deficiency or a result of scheme.

If it is a matter of talent, whcih I think it is, then upgrading the talent would get more TE production out of the current scheme. I think our TE's do a fine job blocking, just do not have the talent to make plays, ie Schoebel.

If it is a matter of scheme, then better talent may end up wasted. Brat has a penchant of timing TE plays in the second quarter and has a good percentage converting on 3rd down going to the TE. I like what Indy and NE do with their TE's. Clark's role at indy does not seem to detract from Wayne's or harrison's produnction and NE has a TE screen with Watson that, if you have the talent, is a monster call.

If we can land one of the better SS in the first round, I'd like to see us upgrade a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The question at hand is whether the bengals apparent TE under-utilization is a result of talent deficiency or a result of scheme.

If it is a matter of talent, whcih I think it is, then upgrading the talent would get more TE production out of the current scheme. I think our TE's do a fine job blocking, just do not have the talent to make plays, ie Schoebel.

If it is a matter of scheme, then better talent may end up wasted. Brat has a penchant of timing TE plays in the second quarter and has a good percentage converting on 3rd down going to the TE. I like what Indy and NE do with their TE's. Clark's role at indy does not seem to detract from Wayne's or harrison's produnction and NE has a TE screen with Watson that, if you have the talent, is a monster call.

If we can land one of the better SS in the first round, I'd like to see us upgrade a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I can agree with that assessment. When you look at how Gates and Gonzalez open up their offenses, forcing defenses to account for them in coverage - it really makes a difference (among other teams).

Even if it's a H-back like a Cooley in Washington.

Some times I think the Bengals' offense is too two dimensional (vertical passing to WR's or Rudi between the tackles). We saw what Perry could do for them earlier in the year - can never have enough weapons.

Nothing is written in stone as you seem to believe..

this may come as a surprise to you but there are actually TE's that can block and catch the ball... is that over your head?

Not at all, but our system doesn't USE A TIGHT END TO CATCH THE BALL. Get a freaking clue. We use our wide receivers to run the ball more than we use tight ends to catch it.

Get a clue? We don't throw to the TE's because they all suck. Do you realy think that Carson would not throw to Antonio Gates if we had him?

GET A FREAKIN' CLUE!!

The likes of Gates and other game changing TE's like Shockey and Gonzo is really revolutionizing the TE position, and football in general. Look at a team like NE. They drafted Graham in the first round of the 2002 draft. They drafted Watson in the 1st round of the 2004. Some may ask why would you want two top level TE's? There's a couple of reasons IMHO. 1st, TE's are underpaid by other NFL position standards. You can afford to keep two top level TE's where it's not as easy to keep two top level WR's. 2nd, having two good TE's opens things up for the WR's on the outside. Imagine if we had a threat over the middle. Opposing defenses couldn't shadow Chad and TJ with a safety nearly as much. I just think saying that Bratawski wouldn't utilize a TE in his system is ignorant. The NFL is changing more and more each year. It would be a pity if we don't get to see Carson throw to one of these new breeds of TE's in his career.

Like was said previously ..the draft is deep in quality tight ends this year.

I dont think its out of the question to pursue one if a blue chipper is available in the second round or lower...

Id still like to see them get a safety or tackle.. it depends on what they do in free agency as well....

You can't compare a tight end with a linebacker. A tight end needs to know how to block and/or catch the ball. The linebacker has a LOT more to learn. Also, remember that Pollack was converted from defensive end, so this was his first year playing linebacker.

I wasn't comparing a LB to a TE. I was just wondering if the Bengals would have been better with Miller instead of Pollack. :rolleyes: Would Miller have contributed more than Pollack has? I'd speculate that this team might have 13 wins if they had drafted Miller instead of Pollack. But that assumes Brat would use a TE if he had a good one. :lol:

Pollack may turn out to be the better pick, but right now I'd have to go with Miller. Who knows what will happen down the road.

BTW I doubt a TE will be the first pick of the Bengals; perhaps not even day one.