Bratkowski to the Saints?

BlainThePain

Brat news: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../601090357/1066

CANDIDATE: Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski confirmed after the game that he has been contacted about a head coaching vacancy.

He would not say which team, though reports last week out of New Orleans said the Saints were interested in him.

"I have been contacted, but obviously we couldn't do anything last week," he said. "They might have moved on. We'll see what happens this week."

Personally I would like to see him stay but obviously his success here will get him some looks. I would hate to have a new guy come in and change things.

I do have issues with the play selection though. He needs to utilize Rudi more. Once again, we are in a tight game and he abandons the run. Even if we go three and out on three running plays, he is buying time for the defense to rest and also shorten the game. Kind of like when the leadoff batter takes his time while he waits for the pitcher that just grounded out. Especially under the circumstances yesterday. That is part of the overall strategy for the team. If he stays I would like to see that change.

I wouldn't mind a bit if Bratkowski were to depart, though there's no guarantee his replacement would prove to be an improvement. We lost some games this year because we abandoned the run for no reason and had some really questionable situational playcalling, specifically on third and fourth and short.

I wouldn't mind a bit if Bratkowski were to depart, though there's no guarantee his replacement would prove to be an improvement. We lost some games this year because we abandoned the run for no reason and had some realy questionable situational playcalling, specifically on third and fourth and short.

So it was him that abandoned the controlled high-percentage short yardage game in the 1st half in favor of going with the low-percentage long ball in the 2nd half? Man, he choked big time. He was controlling the game and let it slip through his fingers.

So it was him that abandoned the controlled high-percentage short yardage game in the 1st half in favor of going with the low-percentage long ball in the 2nd half? Man, he choked big time. He was controlling the game and let it slip through his fingers.

That seems to be the knock on Brat. I love his confidence in the passing game, and I don't mind him using it to its fullest... but when that means abandoning a logical gameplan like maintaining a running game... then no.

Forget that, if I was Leinart or anyone for that matter I wouldn't want to go to the Saints. The NFL treated them very poorly this year and they'll still be traveling all over the place next year. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to go to the Saints. Just like us regular people, it's nice to have a little stability at work and he would get none of that in New Orleans

The only thing the NFL slighted the Saints on was the game in the Meadowlands.

They had to do something. They couldn't stay in NO.

The stability factor with the Saints is already improving as they as moving back into their Grade A facility in Metairie this month. And it looks like all home games will be in Louisiana.

The Saints job would be an OK job. Haslett lost control of that locker room about 3 years ago and no one respected the QB...They will both be gone next year...

I wouldn't mind a bit if Bratkowski were to depart, though there's no guarantee his replacement would prove to be an improvement. We lost some games this year because we abandoned the run for no reason and had some realy questionable situational playcalling, specifically on third and fourth and short.

I'm glad someone else thinks Brat stinks :sure:

ANYONE Please hire this man. He'll be a great head coach. :lmao:

Twice now he was out X'd and O'd by Dick LeBlow. I reckon he was in the win too, being that they were plus four in turnovers that day. Brat has a knack for not taking what the defense is giving and is slow to adjust when he does. The more I think about yesterday's game, the more I'm blaiming him :o sprinkled with a tiny bit of credit to the steelers.

Yes Carson got hurt but isn't that why we have an expensive back up QB????? :huh:

Brat might be the only coach willing to go to the 'aints.

Possibly. Like they say, there are only 32 of these jobs in the world.

I am sure the whole scenario of having helped develop Palmer here and then having a chance to take Matt Leinert is intriguing to them.

That seems to be the knock on Brat. I love his confidence in the passing game, and I don't mind him using it to its fullest... but when that means abandoning a logical gameplan like maintaining a running game... then no.

It's a product of the system. Brat is an adherent of the Don Coryell school of offense, which powered the San Diego Chargers in the early 1980s. Seeā€¦

http://www.profootball-reference.com/teams/sdg1979.htm

http://www.profootball-reference.com/teams/sdg1980.htm

http://www.profootball-reference.com/teams/sdg1981.htm

http://www.profootball-reference.com/teams/sdg1982.htm

Those seasons represent the heydey of the Dan-Fouts-led Coryell Chargers, and if you scroll down and look at the player stats you will see that the running game didn't feature a really dominant back. Only once in those four years did the team have a 1,000+ yard back (Muncie in '81). Instead, they used a platoon of backs, many of whom were as much or more receivers as runners. In 1979, for instance, the Chargers' Nos. 3, 4 and 5 receivers were all running backs; that year their collection of backs collectively ran for 1,607 and caught for 1,115.

Piling up rushing yards was never a priority in this offense; the Chargers ranked 27th, 16th (twice) and 11th in rushing yards in those years. In terms of actual attempts, they were 25, 17, 21 and 19.

If anyone wonders why we drafted Chris Perry, the answer is right there. He's a perfect Coryell offense back. So, too, is -- IMHO -- the reason Rudi seems to be so easily forgotten/ignored/overlooked: he doesnā€™t fit the system. This offense simply doesn't have a place for a ground-pounder like Rudi. Just like the Chargers of the early 80s, we are lukewarm when it comes to running the ball. Last year, for example, we ranked 18th in rushing attempts and 17th in rushing yards. This year it was 14 and 11.

This was a big reason why I was leery of giving Rudi a big contract. Not because he isn't good, but because his talents are wasted in this offense scheme.

It's a product of the system. Brat is an adherent of the Don Coryell school of offense, which powered the San Diego Chargers in the early 1980s. Seeā€¦

You're right, there are a ton of parallels in those statistics. It seems the only thing we're missing from totally duplicating that scheme is a tight end like Kellen Winslow Sr. Fouts had to throw the ball a ton every year, and that led to plently of turnovers, and if Palmer falls back to Earth a bit after this year, I'd fear a similar result. I would not be a fan of moving any closer to what the Chargers were doing back then... I hope we continue using the only glimmer of physicality we have left on offense, and do so often.