Jon Kitna

jjb10588

Joe Montana could be a good guy in the orgaization too but guess what? he cant pass anymore... Kitna's throws or should I say floats the ball.

He's not a quality backup by any means and the only reason he might stay another year is that no team in their right mind would sign him to start....

What is the harm of allowing him to stay one more year, it's not like he wants to break the bank.

Well, that's the key point. What would it take to keep Kitna if another team offers him a starters position, even if that starting job he's offered involves grooming another young QB before stepping aside? If his salary demands are modest then I'd have no problem with theBengals offering a 2-3 year contract offer. Let him end his career as a Bengal. But if the money is too great, or if he simply moves on after being offered a last chance to start for another NFL team, then I'd have no problem with a strategy that allows him to move on without a fight...even if that means drafting a backup QB becomes a priority.

What is the harm of allowing him to stay one more year, it's not like he wants to break the bank.

Well, that's the key point. What would it take to keep Kitna if another team offers him a starters position, even if that starting job he's offered involves grooming another young QB before stepping aside? If his salary demands are modest then I'd have no problem with theBengals offering a 2-3 year contract offer. Let him end his career as a Bengal. But if the money is too great, or if he simply moves on after being offered a last chance to start for another NFL team, then I'd have no problem with a strategy that allows him to move on without a fight...even if that means drafting a backup QB becomes a priority.

Agreed. If he wants a shot to start, I don't believe we should try to match that type of offer. IMO he would stay as long as they offer him decent backup money. I think a salary similar to the top 20% of backups is not too much to ask.

If he wants a shot to start, I don't believe we should try to match that type of offer. IMO he would stay as long as they offer him decent backup money. I think a salary similar to the top 20% of backups is not too much to ask.

Have you paid any attention to the man in the past two years? If he wanted a chance to start, he wouldn't be a Bengal NOW. He has more important priorities than being a starter in his life, amongst which are his family locally and mentoring Carson Palmer.

Keep Kitna unless you can find someone better - and until then - I'm inclined to think he'll end up staying here, as I don't know where he could just jump-in anywhere else on short notice and be better than what they currently have...getting too old to learn a new system and be counted on for several years at this point.

If he's going to be a back-up somewhere, it's here, because his family lives here now and he likes it here (no suprise with buttoned-down, conservative, family friendly city etc.., with lots of suburbs).

In fact I'm sure he'll take a pay cut to stay for a few more years if no other team has anything significant to offer him. I'm pretty sure he wants to retire in a few years at most and do civic/religious related things.

If he wants a shot to start, I don't believe we should try to match that type of offer. IMO he would stay as long as they offer him decent backup money. I think a salary similar to the top 20% of backups is not too much to ask.

Have you paid any attention to the man in the past two years? If he wanted a chance to start, he wouldn't be a Bengal NOW. He has more important priorities than being a starter in his life, amongst which are his family locally and mentoring Carson Palmer.

Maybe he hasn't had a chance to start elsewhere in the right situation? It all depends on what another team has to offer - and off-hand I can't think of a team other than the 49ers or the Raiders who would possibly offer him a starting nod. And why would you want to go there and start? Ugh. I also in no way can see him even considering the notion of being a Raider.

No point in starting somewhere just to get a team over a hump for 2 years and lose a bunch of games and be miserable at this point.

Here, if Palmer goes down, he has a chance to win games and play in the postseason at least, and has a nice, comfy clipboard job in a familiar environment until he wants to retire.

All that said he played worse than a back-up last week - his arm looked worse than it ever has, rust or not, he won't get the job here spot starting like that, only if Palmer is out for a significant period of time will Kitna be effective - and I'm fine with that and will live with it since there's no ideal option when you lose a top 3 QB to injury - you are just screwed.

Have you listened to a recent interview with him moron? He may not be content being a backup anymore!

Have you listened to a recent interview with him moron? He may not be content being a backup anymore!

I don't think he has a choice now, he hasn't even been able to throw a 7-yard out for a couple of years now. His arm is dead, his accuracy has always been questionable, and he makes some bonehead plays under pressure.

I really like the guy, I think he makes a factastic mentor, hell I think he could even make a good coach someday. But he's sucked his entire career minus the 2003 season which came completely out of left field. He's a journeyman, period, and now he's an old journeyman. He's a poor man's Brad Johnson. Very poor, at that.

And please don't anyone mention his 2-1 record last year, he isn't the reason they won the 2 but he's definitely the reason the lost the 1 to the Bills - he was horrible. Just like he was against the Chiefs.

So if he wants to be 3rd string, or an assistant coach, he is more than welcome to stay, being legitimately one of the nicest guys in football. However, we need not fear him leaving to be a starter because there isn't a team in the league desperate enough to do that.

That said, Tim Couch sucked before his shoulder went bum, so he ain't the answer either. I don't know that we can get a better backup than Kitna right now - they don't grow on trees - so I figure the status quo works for everyone OK.

couch sucked huh?? look at his Qb ratings compared to Kitna..

look at the team he had in cleveland... I dont think he sucked anymore than Carr sucks.. You have to have an offensive line before you to succeed.. Put Palmer on that Brown team and his numbers drop to the 70's like coach had.. Im just saying if couch's arm is healthy he'd be an upgrade at the backup position.. You have to make all the throws which Kitna cant do...

couch sucked huh?? look at his Qb ratings compared to Kitna..

look at the team he had in cleveland... I dont think he sucked anymore than Carr sucks.. You have to have an offensive line before you to succeed.. Put Palmer on that Brown team and his numbers drop to the 70's like coach had.. Im just saying if couch's arm is healthy he'd be an upgrade at the backup position.. You have to make all the throws which Kitna cant do...

Well since I said Couch Kitna *both* suck, I'm not really going to let you put me into a position of defending one over the other, huh? Couch has no brain for reading defenses, and it dates back to high school when he could be easily suckered by transparent defensive schemes. He was a system guy at UK, plain and simple, just like Klingler or any of the other run-and-shoot style offenses that have sent QBs to the pros. Since collete, Couch has done nothing. I've never seen any reason to think he's an NFL QB. His arm's mediocre, his brain's less. Carr would have the potential of being better if he could get even a microsecond of protection - and when he does, he is. In fact, Couch had decent receivers while at Cleveland, so I think he had a chance to succeed if he were going to.

I agree that Kitna can't make the throws (in fact I said it myself), but Couch can't see the reads, and you need that too. And if I had to take my pick for a backup, I'd rather have a guy who can see the defense and make 80% of the throws. Not sure who that is for the Bengals.

I'd go with BBtB, draft a mid-round QB and have Kitna groom his second replacement.

I dont know Couch's background as you profess you I cant argue the point with you.. I will say that the receivers he had in Cleveland werent all that bad but the Oline was and thats where it all starts..

If the Bengals can get a decent QB in the draft and promote Krenzel to second string I could live withs that....