Jon Kitna

jjb10588

Hello everyone, i am new to this forum and have been a fan ever since i was 4 years old(i liked them b/c of their helmets) now that i am 17 and they have been improving since M. Lewis has been there coach i am excited to see what there soon to come years will be like. I was wondering what will they do with there backup QB Jon Kitna. He is a very good QB i was wondering if they should keep him incase Carson Palmer gets hurt or trade and upgrade in there defense somewhere?

He's a good backup, but he's ONLY a good backup. If Palmer goes down with a long term injury, this team will go backward, fast. We saw how badly he played in those three games last year, and now, the Kansas City game, and it's clear that he's not the quarterback for this offense. I think we trade him maybe for a mid-late round pick to a team with issues at QB (Lions, SF as a mentor for Smith, or even the Packers if Favre retires as a mentor for Rodgers) Or, maybe we just release him in the offseason. I'd hate to see him go, but he's not going to help us anymore...although we may keep him as an assistant QB coach or something.

As for us, I think we should draft D.J. Shockley, who can run and throw well, or some other dual-threat quarterback so that teams will have trouble game-planning for him during an injury to Palmer.

Never really thought about those options but i like them alot, i think the Bengals did the smartest thing ever with Carson Palmer his rookie year they trained showed him tapes and stuff in the 04-05 season after there season unfortunately fell again they put him in and let him get experience. this year he walked in and just blew everyone the f**k away as did our rookies like Odel Thurman.

I would like to see Kitna stay because he is a good backup to Carson. But, I think he deserves, and I think he'll get, another shot at a starting job somewhere. Everyone on the team always talks about how great of a guy he is and how he has helped everyone on the team. I'm sure he wouldn't pass up the shot at becoming a starter again.

You can't trade or cut Kitna because he is a free agent after this year. Kitna did not play poorly last year, he played like a backup.

My mistake, forgot about that...but either way, I guess we just let him go and draft someone in the later rounds who will be tough to defend, becuase let's be honest...Krenzel is not gonna make anyone nervous, except for his own team.

If Kitna finds a team willing to pay him more than a top backup QB salary I'd let him walk, and money is only part of the reason I say that. As the Kansas City game proved yet again, he's rarely effective unless he's been given the bulk of practice snaps over a prolonged period of time, like training camp for example, and that's hardly an ideal description of a backup QB. In my opinion his greatest value is as a moderately priced veteran QB who could serve as a spot starter should Palmer be laid up for several weeks, but as a QB expected to come in during a game, or fill in for a week or two....he rarely plays well at all.

BTW, I'm a big fan of the Ron Wolf draft strategy that dictates a team go into every draft hoping to find a mid round QB prospect with the physical skills to be an eventual starter. If needs dictate that you pass on every QB prospect who might develope into a potential starter then you pass on drafting a QB altogether. Simply put, you never draft a QB with such marginal tools that he's forever limited to be a backup.

Kitna's value is off the field, not on anymore...if he leaves we lose a big chunk of locker room presence...On the field? I am just as happy with Krentzel being the #2....That being said, they will cover their bases on a vet QB if they lose Kit.

Kit is no longer needed. He WAS a strong locker room presence. Now with Palmer, Wille, TJ, CJ, JT, etc. he is an after thought. He did servce his purpose and I will always be grateful for what he did with Palmer. If he is such a strong locker room personality I would look at Marvin to single some players out to replace his role.

A "good" back-up QB should be able to come in on

a moments notice and lead his team to victory.

We saw how badly he played in those three games last year, and now, the Kansas City game, and it's clear that he's not the quarterback for this offense.

Wait a second, how badly did he play that he won 2 of 3 games last year, and while his moves in KC didn't look good, his teamates didn't seem to care about catching the ball either. Oh, and lets not forget a couple weeks ago when he came in for Carson and didn't miss a beat at the end of the game, even playing with other scrubs against the oppositions first team.

You guys are nuts thinking he's not valuable.

A "good" back-up QB should be able to come in on

a moments notice and lead his team to victory.

We saw how badly he played in those three games last year, and now, the Kansas City game, and it's clear that he's not the quarterback for this offense.

Wait a second, how badly did he play that he won 2 of 3 games last year, and while his moves in KC didn't look good, his teamates didn't seem to care about catching the ball either. Oh, and lets not forget a couple weeks ago when he came in for Carson and didn't miss a beat at the end of the game, even playing with other scrubs against the oppositions first team.

You guys are nuts thinking he's not valuable.

One win was against the Eagle JV team.

And the other win, against the Giants, he was bailed

out by TJ on 4th down and CJ on the TD catch.

Both were horrible throws.

The Bengals have a chance of winning when Kitna is the QB IF (that`s a big if)

Kitna doesn`t make mistakes. But he rarely goes a full game without making mistakes.

If the Bengals want him as a mentor for Palmer...then cut him and pay him to be a mentor.

It would free up more cap space even.

Kitna's arm strength appears to have headed south, and that's saying a lot, because the guy could never really "bring it." There was news a while ago that the team had Tim Couch work out. If his arm/shoulder troubles have been corrected, he might be a viable back-up, and for a cheap price. He certainly has a lot of game experience.

Kitna's arm strength appears to have headed south, and that's saying a lot, because the guy could never really "bring it." There was news a while ago that the team had Tim Couch work out. If his arm/shoulder troubles have been corrected, he might be a viable back-up, and for a cheap price. He certainly has a lot of game experience.

Id like to see couch as a backup too if his armstrength is there.. His lifetime rating is about the same as Kitna's and he never had an offensive line to protect him in Cleveland...

whoever they get as a backup I hope he has a strong arm.. those floaters of Kitna's were scary...

Couch is a complete freaking joke. If he's not good enough to back up Brett Favre, the interception king of the NFL, he's not good enough to back up Carson Palmer.

Again, that was a Couch who needed shoulder surgery. Now that he has had that shoulder surgery, he might indeed be worth a flier. You don't know. Only the teams that work him out this off-season and look at his surgical records will know for sure.

You guys are looking at backup qbs like relief pitchers and that is not their value. A good backup should be able to salvage a season if the starter gets hurt. Look at the Jets. If they had a decent backup, they could have contended. Look what happened to Pittsburgh when two different starters tried to replace Big Ben. Also, I do believe that Ben came off the bench, in relief of Maddox, and his first pass was picked for a td. Sure, it would be nice to have a guy come in during a game and lead your team to victory. But that guy is hard to find. Kitna was rusty, but he got his reps. Mission accomplished.

Quality backups are hard to find, because teams are scrambling for starters. Nobody can replace Carson, but Kitna knows the offense well enough to allow everyone else to do their jobs without having to worry about him knowing his. If he gets his reps in practice, he can do well enough to beat the teams they are suppose to beat. I say keep him for at least one more year, then offer him a position in the organization.

You guys are looking at backup qbs like relief pitchers and that is not their value. A good backup should be able to salvage a season if the starter gets hurt. Look at the Jets. If they had a decent backup, they could have contended. Look what happened to Pittsburgh when two different starters tried to replace Big Ben. Also, I do believe that Ben came off the bench, in relief of Maddox, and his first pass was picked for a td. Sure, it would be nice to have a guy come in during a game and lead your team to victory. But that guy is hard to find. Kitna was rusty, but he got his reps. Mission accomplished.

Quality backups are hard to find, because teams are scrambling for starters. Nobody can replace Carson, but Kitna knows the offense well enough to allow everyone else to do their jobs without having to worry about him knowing his. If he gets his reps in practice, he can do well enough to beat the teams they are suppose to beat. I say keep him for at least one more year, then offer him a position in the organization.

Yes he knows the system..He is not a quality backup ... What gives you the impression he can beat anyone anymore?

Yes he knows the system..He is not a quality backup ... What gives you the impression he can beat anyone anymore?

How about the fact that his record says he can. 2 out of 3 times last season, 50% of all the games he has started over the last two seasons, and comeback player of the year the season before.

How about the fact that his record says he can. 2 out of 3 times last season, 50% of all the games he has started over the last two seasons, and comeback player of the year the season before.

did you read what old school said about Kitna... are you a hopeless homer.. your worse than a steeler fan.

What is the harm of allowing him to stay one more year, it's not like he wants to break the bank. He is getting older, but for the most part you know what you get with him. I like Krenzel, but at Chicago he was just asked not to lose games. Their defense carried that team. Unfortunately, the Bengals are a long way from that, although I believe ML will build a solid D. When that happens, Krenzel may be a solid option, but not before.

Kitna is also a quality guy in an organization that can use some more quality guys. Not many guys would pass up starter dollars to show Carson the ropes. He wanted to be here when almost nobody else did. I think he should be rewarded for his loyalty.

What is the harm of allowing him to stay one more year, it's not like he wants to break the bank. He is getting older, but for the most part you know what you get with him. I like Krenzel, but at Chicago he was just asked not to lose games. Their defense carried that team. Unfortunately, the Bengals are a long way from that, although I believe ML will build a solid D. When that happens, Krenzel may be a solid option, but not before.

Kitna is also a quality guy in an organization that can use some more quality guys. Not many guys would pass up starter dollars to show Carson the ropes. He wanted to be here when almost nobody else did. I think he should be rewarded for his loyalty.

I agree. Heck, Kitna would probably take 3rd string money at this point to stay in Cincinnati.