Favorite Steeler Excuses

jjakq27

Since the Steelers are the greatest team ever , and they couldn't possible loss by any fault of their own, I have decided to start a list of some of the best excuses that we have heard around here about this years Steelers.

Ben's thumb

Duce Staley was hurt

the Refs in New England

they didn't beat us we gave the Bengals the game in Pittsburgh

Ben's knee

Tommy Maddox

Sunday's game is the one that counts, not the division championship in December

I don't know . . . sometimes I think having to make an excuse, no matter how lame, is better than not having to make one. For the past 15 years, Bengals fans haven't had to make any; the shortcomings were obvious.

Wouldn't it be nice for folks on the board to treat the division championship and home playoff game like a professional does when he scores? Instead of creating a bunch of Chad Johnson-like threads, wouldn't it be nice to act as if we were here before. Problem is, the Bengals really haven't, and three quarters of the people on here probably were in diapers the last time the Bengals had any bragging rights.

So, like my coach used to say, act like you've been here before, even if you haven't.

Since the Steelers are the greatest team ever , and they couldn't possible loss by any fault of their own, I have decided to start a list of some of the best excuses that we have heard around here about this years Steelers.

Ben's thumb

Duce Staley was hurt

the Refs in New England

Ben's knee

Tommy Maddox

Obviously a subjective matter -- but this is my favorite. Apparently, there is a special category reserved for Squeeler mistakes, with a little asterisk attached. When Ben throws an int, it is a special gift to the opposition -- one for which they should be grateful and expect never to obtain again. Further, there is the not-so-subtle inference that this turnover was made possible by the very graciousness of the team itself. Should that very same int be thrown by Carson Palmer, it is a direct result of enormous defensive pressure applied by the opponent and evidence that he cannot handle the responsibility of being an NFL quarterback. Hence, the suggestion that they did not lose due to better play by their opponent, but rather they "gave away" the game. It's an odd belief system to adopt, particularly by a team that lives off of its defense and, as would be expected, turnovers they generate.

Ben's thumb

Duce Staley was hurt

the Refs in New England

Ben's knee

Tommy Maddox

Don't forget years past either ...

O'Donnell Super Bowl conspiracy (one of my personal favorites)

'Emmy Award' running into the kicker in Tennessee

Refs didn't hear me call the coin flip correctly (Bettis in Detroit on Turkey Day ... another favorite of mine)

65 degree weather in mid January (AFC Championship defeat to Chargers)

NFL wanted Elway to win (AFC Championship defeat to Broncos)

Special Teams Coach (AFC Championship defeat to Patriots)

I expect there are others, but those are from the top of my brain ... living here makes it pretty easy to recall these as no one around here ever forgets. They have an excuse for every loss ... except, of course, that the better team won.

Cowher is a Schottenheimer disciple. It is why his teams are always post season flame outs or chokers.

Excuses? what the hell have the Bengals ever won? I will give it to you for the division this season.....

But do tell me... what the hell have you guys ever won?

Cowher is a Schottenheimer disciple. It is why his teams are always post season flame outs or chokers.

Excuses? what the hell have the Bengals ever won? I will give it to you for the division this season.....

Nothing. Until this year, nothing in the past 15 years. We all know that. Fans nonetheless. We have lost many games in the time span. We have been beaten.

Now ... come on Steeler fan ... say it ... repeat after me ... "we lost because the other team was better" Feel better? Say it in better detail, hoping it sinks in ... "The Chargers were a better team than us in that AFC Championship game." "The Broncos were a better team than us in that AFC Championship game." "The Pats were better teams than us in both AFC Championship games." "The Titans were a better team than us in that Divisional playoff game." "The Cowboys were a better team than us in that Super Bowl." "The Colts are the better team than us this year. The noise was not what beat us, it was the fact that the Colts are the better team."

If you cannot repeat those words ... well ... then it's excuses. Plain and simple.

I don't know . . . sometimes I think having to make an excuse, no matter how lame, is better than not having to make one. For the past 15 years, Bengals fans haven't had to make any; the shortcomings were obvious.

Wouldn't it be nice for folks on the board to treat the division championship and home playoff game like a professional does when he scores? Instead of creating a bunch of Chad Johnson-like threads, wouldn't it be nice to act as if we were here before. Problem is, the Bengals really haven't, and three quarters of the people on here probably were in diapers the last time the Bengals had any bragging rights.

So, like my coach used to say, act like you've been here before, even if you haven't.

This post I'm quoting is my new favorite Steeler excuse. Change the topic to "what have Bengals done" instead of the topic at hand. So basically their excuse for being the first loser in the AFCN is that the Bengals havn't won in 15 years?

:blink::huh:

It fits the bill, baby.

Nothing. Until this year, nothing in the past 15 years. We all know that. Fans nonetheless. We have lost many games in the time span. We have been beaten.

Now ... come on Steeler fan ... say it ... repeat after me ... "we lost because the other team was better" Feel better? Say it in better detail, hoping it sinks in ... "The Chargers were a better team than us in that AFC Championship game." "The Broncos were a better team than us in that AFC Championship game." "The Pats were better teams than us in both AFC Championship games." "The Titans were a better team than us in that Divisional playoff game." "The Cowboys were a better team than us in that Super Bowl." "The Colts are the better team than us this year. The noise was not what beat us, it was the fact that the Colts are the better team."

If you cannot repeat those words ... well ... then it's excuses. Plain and simple.

no excuses here...I was at many of those games, was in Indy this season too.....they whooped up on us..you are right! but on the other hand....I do chat on a few other boards....the Charger fans told me all season about the 94 game.I was at that game too, and we did get beat there too.......no excuses...

the only thing I am saying like I told the Charger fans......they cannot live forever off that 94 game,after which they lst the BIG ONE anyway.........I pat you guys on hte back for the division! but you have to admit your team has played terrible the last 2 weeks, tough to go into the playoffs with no MO!.....we have had to struggle to get that last spot.......got no help....good to go in off of 4 wins.......and do not tell me about teams we beat........Buffalo kinda knocked you guys down a peg the other week..........

Going to be a WAR on Sunday!

Wouldn't it be nice for folks on the board to treat the division championship and home playoff game like a professional does when he scores? Instead of creating a bunch of Chad Johnson-like threads, wouldn't it be nice to act as if we were here before? Problem is, the Bengals really haven't, and three quarters of the people on here probably were in diapers the last time the Bengals had any bragging rights.

This post I'm quoting is my new favorite Steeler excuse. Change the topic to "what have Bengals done" instead of the topic at hand. So basically their excuse for being the first loser in the AFCN is that the Bengals havn't won in 15 years?

:blink::huh:

It fits the bill, baby.

I think you missed my point. I'm not saying the excuses listed above aren't lame. I'm saying it would be nice to focus on the positve aspects of winning the AFC North, without pointing out the shortcomings of another team or their fans. New territory for Bengal fans.

no excuses here...I was at many of those games, was in Indy this season too.....they whooped up on us..you are right! but on the other hand....I do chat on a few other boards....the Charger fans told me all season about the 94 game.I was at that game too, and we did get beat there too.......no excuses...

the only thing I am saying like I told the Charger fans......they cannot live forever off that 94 game,after which they lst the BIG ONE anyway.........I pat you guys on hte back for the division! but you have to admit your team has played terrible the last 2 weeks, tough to go into the playoffs with no MO!.....we have had to struggle to get that last spot.......got no help....good to go in off of 4 wins.......and do not tell me about teams we beat........Buffalo kinda knocked you guys down a peg the other week..........

Well, you are absolutely in a minority here in the Burgh. Excuses come as surely as post-season losses.

In any case, your response is appreciated, and I too think this Sunday will be one to remember (either way). Oh ... and WAR is surely best saved for the guys not playing meaningless, silly football games. Obviously, it's reserved only for those fighting and dying for each of us. (I've been trying to correct chest-pounding Steeler fans on this point for years!) As for us, we enjoy this SPORT. Fun nonetheless.

True about the WAR...........maybe bad choice of words.........good to chat without all the s**t I have seen here.........BOTH WAYS.........will look forward to some good natured ribbing this week with ya......one of us will be POPPING off more Sunday evening..........

Well, you are absolutely in a minority here in the Burgh. Excuses come as surely as post-season losses.

In any case, your response is appreciated, and I too think this Sunday will be one to remember (either way). Oh ... and WAR is surely best saved for the guys not playing meaningless, silly football games. Obviously, it's reserved only for those fighting and dying for each of us. (I've been trying to correct chest-pounding Steeler fans on this point for years!) As for us, we enjoy this SPORT. Fun nonetheless.

I wish it could be that way as well. But unfortunately when someone tries to poke you in the eye, you can either take it or poke 'em back. My coach also used to ask"are you a man or a mouse?"

Hopefully we can get to some serious discussion of the various aspects of the game but with the Rust Bucket trolls hanging around with nothing to say, I doubt it.

I also thought of another one:

The noise in Indy.

Kudos to the board contributors for remembering all of those excuses. Personally I've tried to forget them and their corresponding games. However as rivals, its understood. The fact is simple, no matter what, at the end of next sunday their will be no excuses. Be it a Pittsburgh loss, then Cincinatti played better ON THAT DAY. Face it, not every team is able to bring their A game every day (bengals v. bills). The team that wins is the TEAM that is better. Excuses are made for individuals, not TEAMS. Marv can make gameplan adjustments in the middle of a game, Bill cant/wont. The only possible excuse the Steelers could have is that the coach screwed us over....again.

I ran across a few more interesting tidbits this week on various websites:

One fan said he was glad they were playing here and not at Hines Field.

Another said he was too nervous last year when they were 15-1 and couldn't enjoy it. He is happy they are not the divison champ and can lay low because there are no expectations.

:huh::wacko::eek::blink::shutup::2guns:

So, thats what you guys have been doing for 15 years, eh? Coming up with cutesy little jabs at a team that atleast MAKES THE PLAYOFFS!!!! But I understand, when your playoff futility actually exceeds the life of, say, the INTERNET, Freddy Adu, O.J. as a lovable actor and person, Johnny Carson on the Tonite Show, and New Kids on the Block, I can see how you get so much pent up anger...that much aside, you wish you were Pittsburgh, where we've been kicking your asses for 15 years in a row, and will actually extend those beatings to your Bearcats as Pitt shows them what's up, too. WE OWN YOU IN FOOTBALL, enjoy your last few days of life, your asses are ours sunday.

So, thats what you guys have been doing for 15 years, eh? Coming up with cutesy little jabs at a team that atleast MAKES THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

Allow me to correct you ...

"Coming up with cutesy little jabs at a team that AT MOST makes the playoffs"

Bengal Fan's excuses

Cheap shot (reality: unforntunate accident; nothinglike the one Ben R took in San Diego. By the way,Ben gotout of the way a little quicker than Carson)

Chris Henry got injured. (Reality: it wouldn'thave mattered with Kitna at QB)

Bad call on the reversal; he had two feet down. (Reality: no he didn't)

Any more out there?

One last note, Carson Palmer doesn't play defense or long snap.

Bengal Fan's excuses

Cheap shot (reality: unforntunate accident; nothinglike the one Ben R took in San Diego. By the way,Ben gotout of the way a little quicker than Carson)

Any more out there?

It's good of you to supply us with some ideas. Considering I don't hear any coming from Bengal fans.

We got beat. It happens. We don't need to blame anybody/anything.

Bengal Fan's excuses

Any more out there?

f**k you a**h***. Palmer never saw it coming becaue Kimo tackled him from the side and low. God forbid you guys should accept your gift win with any class whatsoever.

Bengal Fan's excuses

Any more out there?

f**k you a**h***. Palmer never saw it coming becaue Kimo tackled him from the side and low. God forbid you guys should accept your gift win with any class whatsoever.

Now that's class. The thread was started with a list of Steeler excuses. I'm just offering a counterpoint, not talking smack. Look at the tape. Kimo didn't tackle him at all; he was blocked into Palmer and his momentum carried into Palmer.

The reality is the Bengals should have won, despite the injuries. Kitna was the guy who originally exposed the Steelers as being susceptible to being spread out on defense in a game three years ago. Kitna is also a better scrambler. He played well in the first half. In the first half, the Bengals picked up the blitz and ran good routes, especially on 3rd down. THey were having their way with the Steelers. The entire Bengal team as a whole didn't play well in the second half. Marvin Lewis said as much in his post game PC.

Oh, that's ***damn rich, even coming from a Steelers fan. New Steelers thesis, Bengals were better off without Palmer.

Cheap shot from a team that specializes in cheap shots and a fanbase that revels in same.

Bengal Fan's excuses

Any more out there?

Now that's class. The thread was started with a list of Steeler excuses. I'm just offering a counterpoint, not talking smack. Look at the tape. Kimo didn't tackle him at all; he was blocked into Palmer and his momentum carried into Palmer.

The reality is the Bengals should have won, despite the injuries. Kitna was the guy who originally exposed the Steelers as being susceptible to being spread out on defense in a game three years ago. Kitna is also a better scrambler. He played well in the first half. In the first half, the Bengals picked up the blitz and ran good routes, especially on 3rd down. THey were having their way with the Steelers. The entire Bengal team as a whole didn't play well in the second half. Marvin Lewis said as much in his post game PC.

Seeing as how you're classy enough to echew the term Bungles, I'll not consider it smack on that fact alone.

I never said the Bengals were better off without Palmer; I was simply stating that Kitna was playing very well. Other aspects of the Bengals gameplan and execution of that gameplan went awry in the second half. The Bengals didn't make the necessary adjustments in the second half. The big time players (i.e. Johnson & Johnson) didn't make big time plays. Is Chad Johnson a better WR than Ike Taylor is a CB? Most people would say yes, but the stats and the results say otherwise.

Enjoy watching the rest of the playoffs in black & white (oops, black & gold) Chad.