Pittsburgh - The Inside Scoop, Part III

duus

95% who responded to a Post Gazette poll said it is "a good thing" to be playing the Bengals.

Mark Madden --> "Chad Johnson has been told he is not allowed to do interviews. That's why the Steelers will win because they are getting too tight."

Radio ...

"Bengals are the last team to beat the Steelers, but in alot of ways, the Steelers beat themselves."

They then proceeded to play the Cowher clip from the press conference where he talked about it only ended up a 7 point game, and they turned the ball over 4 times, and "gave them the ball" at mid-field and on the 40.

Question ... why is it if the Bengals turn the ball over, it's the great Steelers D that "took the ball away", yet when the Steelers turn the ball over, it's the fact that they "gave them the ball"?

That's a fair assessment of that particular play. There's a subtle difference between "giving the ball away" and having a team "take the ball away" and on the plays he's referring to I would honestly say they were gimmes.

Also, remember you're listening to a RADIO STATION IN PITT.!!! Of course you're going to hear comments like that, fans (and Madden) are just voicing their opinions.

This board has an air of fear (creeping twoards paranoia) about everything this week. You're playing the "victim role" to help soften the blow if the Bengals lose. I can understand that, I do the same thing and I see it on the Steelers boards a lot. I just wonder if the players are listening to the hype and beginning to feel a lot of pressure right now. I could see this playing a significant role if it's indeed true. I don't think Bengals fans should be that nervous, but there's a vibe on these posts.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And dude...Ben has more "upside" than Carson? You're talking like Mel Kiper on draft day. Carson put up MVP-caliber numbers this year. He's demonstrated a mastery of his team's offense. Meanwhile, Ben can't be relied upon to throw more than 20 passes a game. Or more than 30 yards downfield. Talking about 'upside' when quality has already been PROVEN is like planning a trip to the Super Bowl the year after your team has gone 2-14.

Look at their records. There's no comparison. Stats are great but they don't account for the intangibles that QB's display that win games for their teams. I think Carson Palmer is a great QB, but I also think you'll see a significant drop in performance in the next few years as teams catch on to his tendencies and figure out the offense. I think Ben is not only smarter, but more instinctive than Palmer. He avoided any type of sophmore slump by using his instincts, which, really, is the hardest thing to defend against. I don't know that Palmer has instinct, hence his inferior record as a starting QB. The running game helps but look at the guy's stats, he led the league in yards per completion, and he's been hurt most of the year.

Heck, I'd take Hines Ward over Chris Henry. As long as he quit dancing after his touchdowns.

My vote for the most hypocritcal statement of the decade coming from someone who probably idolizes Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmanzadeh. Why is an Iranian guy doing the folded arm, B-Boy stance? There's a joke in there somewhere.

Chicago was not horrible when we beat them back in week 3. They had just destroyed the Lions the previous week, and we went into Chicago and dominated them. The Bears have only lost 1 home game all season.

Nobody knew Minnesota was going to be horrible when we played them, they had only lost 1 game and that was to Tampa.

Don't worry about it CB, all excuses are available for Steelers fans only, not us.

Come on man, Ease up on the Steelers! Does the regular season matter now? You are in the playoffs, Pitt is in the playoffs. The ony difference is that the loser doesnt play again until August. Respect thy opponent, for when you dont, they will beat you....a.ka. Steelers v. Detriot...we could have lost that game.

You should tell that last little quote to your own fans. The team, the city, the fans especially are showing no respect to the Bengals, Thanks, though, I believe in Karma, and you'll hopefully get what your fans deserve, a loss.

Well thats sort of contradictory, isnt it? You complain about not getting respect from Pittsburgh, yet in order to receive, you must give.

Bill Cowher --> Said they will likely kick shorter to better stop Perry from long kick-off returns. He suggested that they may surrender a few yards to better contain him and keep the big play from happening.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tid-bit of information from the most recent divisional rival playoff game for the Steelers. I expect a similar method by our Bengals, although we will not need to COMPLETELY ignore the run. And, of course, the outcome :-) :

Jan. '03: The Stillers faced the hapless Clev Browns in the first round, a team they'd already beaten twice in the '02 season. Clev came into the game with no running attack, an utterly horrible offense line, and a mediocre stable of RBs "led" by Will Green and Jamel White. Nonetheless, facing this entirely ONE-dimensional offense (Holcomb 429 yards passing in this game, Green 1.2 YPC on 25 rushes), Cowhard's defense got shredded right from the get-go, and the Browns were up 14-0 before most fans at the stadium could buy a post-kickoff beer. The Browns built their lead to 24-7, and only by the good graces of Maddox and a dropped 3rd down pass by Denny Northcutt did the Stillers eke out a 36-33 win. The epitome of Cowher's shoddy preparation was the 2nd play from scrimmage, in which his defense had to call a timeout due to befuddled confusion because -- gasp -- the Browns went no-huddle and used a 4-WR formation. Had the Stillers lost this game -- and they came within a gnat's eyelash of doing so -- this might very well have been the most embarrassing loss in the entire history of the Stillers franchise.

(that one "might very well have been the most embarrassing loss in the entire history of the Stillers franchise" ... this was will be)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk on the sports radio show right now is how reporters and fans are already making plans for their trip to Indianapolis. Seriously, apparently there are reports coming out that folks are already making reservations.

I know that the trollery is hardly a representative sample of a fanbase, but damn. There doesn't seem to be a realistic one (apologies to Jreed - you da man) among them. This is shaping up to be one of the most intriguing games of the first round IMO. How a fan of either team could feel completely confident about the game, with all of the various factors involved, is beyond me. With all that the Squeel city is focusing on indy? Okay -- looks like they want to put all the presure there.

As a steelers fan, I have to agree. I for one don't feel all that confident about any game in the playoffs. 1 - We haven't beaten a single team in the playoffs except you, which we split. 2 - Cower flushes his brain down the toilet as soon as things don't go his way in the playoffs. and 3 - I honestly don't think this Steelers team has played three consistent games in a row this year. They did play three bad ones in a row though....

Holy Cow! Another Steeler fan that I feel I could actually intelligently dialogue with?!?!?!? Good post Stickman. Why in the world is a seemingly level-headed guy like yourself (and Thunder) a Steeler fan? :D Ha! Just kidding. You two guys are giving me hope of finding someone locally that I can enjoy a game with. Then again, I wonder if you guys aren't remote fans who have not seen what a 'true' Steeler fan is like. In any case, honestly, good post ... good thoughts ... good to be a fan who thinks through things reasonably.

I work in Pittsburgh and live 25 miles from the city. In other words, I'm not a remote fan. :)

There's a ton of Steelers fans like us, but I guess the loudmouth ones drown us out. B)

Bill Cowher --> Said they will likely kick shorter to better stop Perry from long kick-off returns. He suggested that they may surrender a few yards to better contain him and keep the big play from happening.

Tid-bit of information from the most recent divisional rival playoff game for the Steelers. I expect a similar method by our Bengals, although we will not need to COMPLETELY ignore the run. And, of course, the outcome :-) :

Jan. '03: The Stillers faced the hapless Clev Browns in the first round, a team they'd already beaten twice in the '02 season. Clev came into the game with no running attack, an utterly horrible offense line, and a mediocre stable of RBs "led" by Will Green and Jamel White. Nonetheless, facing this entirely ONE-dimensional offense (Holcomb 429 yards passing in this game, Green 1.2 YPC on 25 rushes), Cowhard's defense got shredded right from the get-go, and the Browns were up 14-0 before most fans at the stadium could buy a post-kickoff beer. The Browns built their lead to 24-7, and only by the good graces of Maddox and a dropped 3rd down pass by Denny Northcutt did the Stillers eke out a 36-33 win. The epitome of Cowher's shoddy preparation was the 2nd play from scrimmage, in which his defense had to call a timeout due to befuddled confusion because -- gasp -- the Browns went no-huddle and used a 4-WR formation. Had the Stillers lost this game -- and they came within a gnat's eyelash of doing so -- this might very well have been the most embarrassing loss in the entire history of the Stillers franchise.

(that one "might very well have been the most embarrassing loss in the entire history of the Stillers franchise" ... this was will be)

Talk on the sports radio show right now is how reporters and fans are already making plans for their trip to Indianapolis. Seriously, apparently there are reports coming out that folks are already making reservations.

Boy... that's a great story for you to cling to. However, as bad as the Steelers secondary was in 2003 there's not a single starter remaining back there. "Sad" Scott and Washington are finally gone, so are "Burnt" Alexander and Lee Flowers. This group of guys are way better than those four ever were. We had a pathetic team by playoff standards and really only got in because of the weak schedule we played. I couldn't care less about this piece of history. Even though we still WON THE GAME.

Boy... that's a great story for you to cling to. However, as bad as the Steelers secondary was in 2003 there's not a single starter remaining back there. "Sad" Scott and Washington are finally gone, so are "Burnt" Alexander and Lee Flowers. This group of guys are way better than those four ever were. We had a pathetic team by playoff standards and really only got in because of the weak schedule we played. I couldn't care less about this piece of history. Even though we still WON THE GAME.

Yep, that's surely true about the corner changes. Not clinging to it ... just mentioning it.

A lot of us called Chad "Charred" Scott. :o

I actually liked Flowers a lot. Scott, Washington, Alexander and Flowers made up an awesome secondary... against the run. Those guys were physical and great tacklers. Chad Scott was actually one of the fasted (if not fastest) guys on the team. Unfortunately those guys couldn't cover their guys, and we watched in horror as the secondary was quite often picked apart.

I'm glad those days are over. I think our secondary now is better than the Woodson/Figures days.

I think our secondary now is better than the Woodson/Figures days.

Now that's a bold statement! Not sure I agree with that as I sat and watched each team with those players as well as today's. In any case, we can agree it's an improvement over the 'run-stoppers' of recent years.

I think our secondary now is better than the Woodson/Figures days.

Now that's a bold statement! Not sure I agree with that as I sat and watched each team with those players as well as today's. In any case, we can agree it's an improvement over the 'run-stoppers' of recent years.

Ike and Deshea are solid, but neither one are better than Woodson. However, I think throwing Polamalu in the mix does make this secondary better. McFadden is starting to look like a playmaker as well, although he does have his rookie moments.

Mark Madden Show

MM --> "If it turns out to be a shoot-out, I think the Steelers will win it."

MM --> "A week from Sunday, Indy will be in Pittsburgh's head ... alot. And, yes, I am assuming a win over Cincinnati on Sunday."

MM --> "4.3 yards per rush! That's alot. A-lot!"

Caller --> "The Steelers will beat the Bengals. Because their defense is playing at a high level. Their offense is playing at a high level. Their special teams is playing at a high level."

More Mark Madden Show comments

Honestly, all I continue to hear is AFTER THE BENGALS, what are the Steelers chances? You know, the sort of stuff that is asking whether or not the Steelers can win 3 on the road, can they beat the Colts the second time, etc, etc, etc. Just really is rubbing me the wrong way the way they are BIG TIME starting to overlook us. Ugh. And all these Steeler fans defend the point that the Steeler fans are not arrogant, always expecting to win everything. I honestly have not seen a single thread/comment of a Bengal fan/player/reporter looking to Indy. Seriously, even though the Steelers are favored, I think most 'football fans' consider this to be a 'good game' coming up. That being the case, you should really ask yourself why all of Pittsburgh is looking forward to Indy and no one in Cincy is arrogant enough to do likewise. Did I ever mention how much I dislike this town? :-)

Caller --> "The Steelers are in a better position than most 6 seeds. The Bengals are not playing good. The Colts haven't played in a long while. Then the Steelers will play Denver and make it to Detroit."

There's a ton of Steelers fans like us, but I guess the loudmouth ones drown us out. B)

Most good fans of any team never bother to visit message boards of opposing teams. That is not meant as a slight to yourself of course, it is good to have differing opinions to create conversation here. I am just noting that the fans we are usually exposed to are the juvenile "trolls" that infest the Smack Forum.

Mark Madden Show

MM --> "If it turns out to be a shoot-out, I think the Steelers will win it."

MM --> "A week from Sunday, Indy will be in Pittsburgh's head ... alot. And, yes, I am assuming a win over Cincinnati on Sunday."

MM --> "4.3 yards per rush! That's alot. A-lot!"

Caller --> "The Steelers will beat the Bengals. Because their defense is playing at a high level. Their offense is playing at a high level. Their special teams is playing at a high level."

Man, that is so irritating to read. I can only hope that the Steelers players are falling into that state of mind as well.

More Madden comments

MM --> "The Steelers team is the better team. There is no doubt about that."

MM --> "The Bengals are not that good. Even the worst major league baseball team wins 11 out of 16 sometimes."

Man, I wish that the Bengals players would somehow get hold of that "11 out of 16" comment.

MM --> "The Bengals are not that good. Even the worst major league baseball team wins 11 out of 16 sometimes."

:blink: That may be the biggest reach I have ever seen. Does Mr. Madden really expect that terrible analogy to hold any water with anyone?

Last I checked, baseball and football are not one and the same. Comparing apples to oranges is obvious faulty logic. I am certain he could come with something better than that.

Thanks for the props. :cheers:

Yes, there is a lot of overlooking of the Bengals going on by the fans, but I wouldn't count on it happening to the players. The players are hungry for revenge not just for this year's loss to the Bengals but mainly for last year's short coming.

I think that a lot of the Steelers fan's confidence is stemming from the fact that we know how brutal the Steelers defense is and we know that it's twice as brutal during the playoffs. A playoff game is a lot faster and the hits are much harder and we don't think the current Bengals team can hang with that type of play.

:blink: That may be the biggest reach I have ever seen. Does Mr. Madden really expect that terrible analogy to hold any water with anyone?

Last I checked, baseball and football are not one and the same. Comparing apples to oranges is obvious faulty logic. I am certain he could come with something better than that.

In all fairness, Mark Madden is NOT considered a reliable sports personality here in the burgh. I never liked him and I'm quite surprised that duus is listening to him.

In all fairness, Mark Madden is NOT considered a reliable sports personality here in the burgh. I never liked him and I'm quite surprised that duus is listening to him.

Hmmm. For those times I can get beyond his overly purposeful obnoxious radio personality, I actually do think the guy tends to know A LOT more about sports in general than most Pittsburghers. That's why he continues to make them look silly with flawed "here we go Stillers" logic. He tends to add some reason to a sports town that is homer beyond homerism. That said, he surely is not the best ... just the best that the Burgh has to offer. Again ... ugh.

Caller --> "Pittsburgh sports is looking pretty positive. I'm heading to Cincinnati for the game. I think we'll win Sunday."

MM --> "Steelers ... Ben-GALS ... just days away." (snicker)

John Clayton joined the show:

MM --> "What team has the best chance to upset the Colts?"

JC --> "A Denver Broncos team, possibly Pittsburgh. Maybe Cincinnati."

MM --> "Is there any chance the Bengals are just happy to be in the playoffs?"

JC --> "Could be. Their concentration effort might be there, but their defense won't. There's got to be concern in Cincinnati how this game is going to go."

JC --> "They are not very good at defensive tackle. They don't get a pass rush. Their cornerbacks are gamblers, so they might make big plays, but they'll give up big plays."

MM --> "How much no huddle do you think the Bengals will use?"

JC --> "30-40%, and I think they will definitely be ready for it."

MM --> "The Bengals offense is a great one."

JC --> "These are going to be the matchups in this division for several more years. It is kind of weird to see Cincinnati in the mix."

JC --> "With Willie Parker, they seem to rely on the big play. Parker has good success against Cincinnati. "

MM --> "Do you think there is a coaching advantage in this game?"

JC --> "I think it's pretty even. Marvin has been in alot of big games. It comes down to a talent and confidence issue. The last time the Steelers played the Bengals they didn't have the run confidence that they now have gotten back."

(asked how Carson might play in his first playoff game)

JC --> "Even though he has had one game of success against Pittsburgh, he has had more games of failure." .... (really?)

Continuing the look at potential defensive gameplans against the Bengals

MM --> "Bring the heat. Let that pretty boy know that he is in a National Football League playoff game."

MM --> "Double Chad all over the field. Double TJ too. Rudi Johnson is real good. But the minute the Bengals turn to rushing, you are shortening the game, and that plays into the Steelers hands."

MM --> "The Bengals do not know what the playoffs are all about. And neither do their fans."

Hmmm. For those times I can get beyond his overly purposeful obnoxious radio personality, I actually do think the guy tends to know A LOT more about sports in general than most Pittsburghers. That's why he continues to make them look silly with flawed "here we go Stillers" logic. He tends to add some reason to a sports town that is homer beyond homerism. That said, he surely is not the best ... just the best that the Burgh has to offer. Again ... ugh.

John Steigerwald, Stan Savran and Bob Pompeani are all far better then Mark Madden because they keep it straight and they are far more knowlegable then MM. Mark Madden is pretty much just a shock jock looking for ratings.

MM --> "The Bengals do not know what the playoffs are all about. And neither do their fans."

Well, at least he got one thing right. :lol:

John Steigerwald, Stan Savran and Bob Pompeani are all far better then Mark Madden because they keep it straight and they are far more knowlegable then MM. Mark Madden is pretty much just a shock jock looking for ratings.

You have got to be kidding, right? Steigerwald, Savran, and Pompeani? Seriously? These are the guys you turn to and say they "keep it straight"? Savran at least understands something about sports. But the other two are absolutely nothing when it comes to understanding sports. Next thing you'll tell me is that Myron Cope actually understands the game of football. Ugh ... Burgh fans ... if the sportscaster is not all Steelers all the time (i.e. Madden) then he is a nothing. Seriously ... Madden surely is a 'shock jock', but he absolutely knows sports (and football) better than these other guys.

Madden interview with Tim Benz

MM --> "What about the Bengals no huddle?"

TB --> "It works against the Steelers because sometimes they are too specialized on defense."

MM --> "I think Rudi Johnson is the best weapon in a game like this. But by using him they are playing the Steelers game."

TB --> "I think teams get away from the run too early against Pittsburgh." (keep running is exactly what they want teams to do ... but, as I have said, pass to set up the run ... that's what beats them)

TB --> "You can hear it in Marvin Lewis' voice ... he's tight. Maybe he didn't learn his lesson."