Pittsburgh - The Inside Scoop, Part III

duus

Well, I have had little to no time today to listen to any obnoxious Steeler fans. Personally, I think I need the break! In any case, I'm quite sure we'll have ample silly quotes later today and through-out the week. On a side note, I would very much appreciate it if this thread could remain INFORMATIVE ... and not stupid smack talk from Steeler fans roaming around. Seriously ... this thread is to give INFORMATION and QUOTES heard from Steeler players and fan-base. Shouldn't the Steeler-lovers throw their smack around elsewhere? Much, much more to come.

Should be a fun week ... hope I can survive it in this ugly town.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Steelers are a better team overall, and I would trade maybe two of the Bungles starters for Steelers Starters (Anderson for Starks, Houshmandzadeh for Randle El). Other than those two, I don't see superior talent on that team at any other position.

You're a fan, so obviously we would need to consider the source regarding this comment. A reasonable retort would probably be to direct you to the ProBowl roster. None of this would typically cause me to reply at all, but I couldn't get over the two players/positions you picked. Of all the O-linemen you overlook Steinbach and Jones -- interesting. As for #2 WR, I wouldn't really put TJ up above Randle El by much, if at all. I keep running up on this bizarre Pittsburgh love for Hines Ward. He's a nice player - a really nice receiver. But you guys consistently put him up as equal to, or above, #85, which is utterly ridiculous. So many good arguments to choose and you guys always go for that -- it's laughable really. While we all err on the side of team loyalty, this is the one thing that I see from all you Pitt. fans that always puzzles me.

Alright Bengals fans, Let me congratulate your team for beating us to the division crown. Also, hats off to you for standing by your team for so long. There are 2 teams in the division that I like, Steelers and Bengals. However I can see the outcome of this game coming down to the last minute. Both teams have efficient QB's. Both teams have a decent run game. Cincinatti has a slight edge on the Steelers at the WR corps, lets face it CJ and TJ are better deep threats that ARE and Hines. Aside from that however, Cinci's defense has been looking shaky as of late, but remember with Bill Cowher in the playoffs, hes going to gameplan to target the strongest part of the defense, not the weakest. I think that its going to be a close game, and a good game. Cinci just lost 2 in a row, Pitt has momentum coming off of a 4 game winning streak (spare me the look who it was against). Momentum is momentum, regardles of who you had to beat to get it from. Pittsburgh is away, which is when they play better. That being said, Cinci and Pittsburgh are both going to have to play their best football to get past this game. Good Luck Bengals, Good Luck Steelers. Call me a troll if you want, but I hardly think I qualify as one, as im not on a smear campaign against the Bengals. Also, let me say that reading your boards is alot different than a Steeler board, with people mainly arguing and calling each other faggots, motherf**kers, etc. Have a good week, we'll see what happens come Sunday. As an aside, those damn Bengalelves are lookers.

There are 2 teams in the division that I like, Steelers and Bengals.

Nice post but I am puzzled by this comment. As a big Bengals fan I can tell you I like the Bengals and solely the Bengals in the AFCN. I like the Pack but that is due to traveling up ther and seeing their fans. I also like the Broncos because of what they did to the brownies in the playoffs in the 80s. I am just amazed when people say they like the Steelers and the Bengals. or any two teams from the same divsion. Guess I hear people around here that say things like I root for the Bengals but if they are not in the playoffs I will root for the Browns. I guess I just do not understand how you can root for the Bengals and then when they are not in the playoffs root for another team from the AFC North. Maybe it just me and my hard-care Bengal feelings but I just do not understand.

My main team is Pittsburgh, being from western PA and watching them ever since I was tiny. However, I started to sort of follow the Bengals back in the days of Boomer, and have kept an eye on them since. I actually rooted for them on a couple of games this year. It seems that you guys have some class, and I know some damn fine people who are cinci fans. Steeler fans, well there are good and bad ones. In the event of a Steeler loss, The bengals will be the team I follow, worst case scenario, Cinci wins, faces New England. Hand those bastards an asswhoopin. Why is it hard to fathom, following a rival team of my favorite? The only teams in the league that I absolutley despise are Cleveland, Baltimore, and Jacksonville.

My main team is Pittsburgh, being from western PA and watching them ever since I was tiny. However, I started to sort of follow the Bengals back in the days of Boomer, and have kept an eye on them since. I actually rooted for them on a couple of games this year. It seems that you guys have some class, and I know some damn fine people who are cinci fans. Steeler fans, well there are good and bad ones. In the event of a Steeler loss, The bengals will be the team I follow, worst case scenario, Cinci wins, faces New England. Hand those bastards an asswhoopin. Why is it hard to fathom, following a rival team of my favorite? The only teams in the league that I absolutley despise are Cleveland, Baltimore, and Jacksonville.

Too bad the rest of your brethren aren't as respectful and as decent as you seem to be. I am guessing that you are not a holdover from the 1970's teams, reliving the good old days over 25 years ago. You were probably born after 1979.

Too bad the rest of your brethren aren't as respectful and as decent as you seem to be. I am guessing that you are not a holdover from the 1970's teams, reliving the good old days over 25 years ago. You were probably born after 1979.

Thats a correct statement. I was born in 85, am 20 years old. As much as I hate it, there are class-less steeler fans, which give the rest of us a bad name. What happens on game days, anyone can understand, you get into the heat of the moment, but the way some fans (any team for that matter) act away from the stadium and off game day, is unexcuseable. As a side note, any thoughts on the Rose Bowl and where Leinart is getting drafted to?

Chicago was not horrible when we beat them back in week 3. They had just destroyed the Lions the previous week, and we went into Chicago and dominated them. The Bears have only lost 1 home game all season.

Nobody knew Minnesota was going to be horrible when we played them, they had only lost 1 game and that was to Tampa.

Chicago was not horrible when we beat them back in week 3. They had just destroyed the Lions the previous week, and we went into Chicago and dominated them. The Bears have only lost 1 home game all season.

Nobody knew Minnesota was going to be horrible when we played them, they had only lost 1 game and that was to Tampa.

Don't worry about it CB, all excuses are available for Steelers fans only, not us.

Don't worry about it CB, all excuses are available for Steelers fans only, not us.

Come on man, Ease up on the Steelers! Does the regular season matter now? You are in the playoffs, Pitt is in the playoffs. The ony difference is that the loser doesnt play again until August. Respect thy opponent, for when you dont, they will beat you....a.ka. Steelers v. Detriot...we could have lost that game.

Isn't that the truth? I mean the hypocrisy is at an all time level right now.

Respect thy opponent, for when you dont, they will beat you....a.ka. Steelers v. Detriot...we could have lost that game.

There may be some truth to this for the players, but nothing that we write on this bb in any way affects them. It's just for fun. And....if I'm wrong, your fellow fans have utterly doomed your team -- if you don't believe me check the smack forum. It is, however, nice to have a reasonable Pitt fan in for a visit. Apparently, they do exist. :sure:

Now you, sir, are a good fan.

All of you other Steeler visitors, please look upon this post, and you will learn many things about how to talk football with other people, be they fans of a rival team or not!

Small tid-bit ...

One of the lead stories (first 5 minutes) of nightly 6 pm news show was that PBS is sold-out, so "don't bother calling the Bengals ticket office". They then directed fans to either brokers or eBay, showing one screen-shot of eBay tickets over $1k. They further mentioned that they found over 500 sets of tickets for sale on eBay.

Quote from stillers.com website:

"I actually feel confident against Cinci. I give the Bungals very little respect, and their past few games demonstrate why. We beat the Bungles in Cinci this season and but we have not played well in Cinci with our all time record there at 18-17. Even with that record at Cinci I prefer to play on the road. Heinz Field has proven not to be advantageous for us this season and every year in the playoffs. The Stiller following will make next week seem like a home game. Our fans seem to make more noise on the road and are sure to be well represented in Bungals land next Sunday."

I'm still holding out hope that our Bengals season ticket holders have held onto the bulk of the seats. I don't care if a thousand Steeler fans show up, but I really want to see at least 60k Orange and Black screaming fans.

Savran on SportsBeat (tv show)

Comments floated about how great a story it would be for Bettis to end his career in Detroit, winning the Super Bowl.

Discussion was around artificial noise in Indy. Point was that 'once they get to Indy', do you think they would dare create artificial noise again? Hmmm ... still whining about noise levels, and still figuring a win against the Bengals.

I expect no less. Before every game, they are always confident they are the best team. They always are confident they will WIN the Super Bowl (how many teams do you hear outwardly say this, year after year? ... the Burgh arrogance continues). They always have a reason to whine when they lose. The NE loss this year was blamed on the refs not running time off the clock. The Jags and Ravens were because of Maddox. The Colts was because of 'cheating' with crowd noise. The Bengals loss was because of their 'self-induced miscues'. Never is a team better than them. Drives me nuts.

Bring it.

Go Bengals!

I know that the trollery is hardly a representative sample of a fanbase, but damn. There doesn't seem to be a realistic one (apologies to Jreed - you da man) among them. This is shaping up to be one of the most intriguing games of the first round IMO. How a fan of either team could feel completely confident about the game, with all of the various factors involved, is beyond me. With all that the Squeel city is focusing on indy? Okay -- looks like they want to put all the presure there.

Small tid-bit ...

One of the lead stories (first 5 minutes) of nightly 6 pm show was that PBS is sold-out, so "don't bother calling the Bengals ticket office". They then directed fans to either brokers or eBay, showing one screen-shot of eBay tickets over $1k. They further mentioned that they found over 500 sets of tickets for sale on eBay.

Not to mention craigslist.com and numerous other bulletin board type sites, the newspaper, etc. I was extremely surprised by the speed with which the offers to sell tickets appeared. THere will be lots of Steeler fans at PBS Sunday. How long they stay is still up for debate.

Nightly Sports Call

Discussion about Pirates, hope of bringing in Arrington in the off-season, why the 'Burress type of player' is not 'Steeler material', and the Clarette story. (hmmm ... isn't there a game this Sunday? ... I guess not that important of discussion if you think it's a guaranteed victory)

And they say they'll get to some Pitt basketball talk after the break. I give up. Turning it off. Trust me ... if this was the Pats or Colts, they would be all Steelers all the time. Man, this is feeling more and more like the last game these two teams played in early December. Everyone said it was a forgone conclusion that the Steelers would roll, and discussion in the Burgh turned to 'other things'. Perhaps it will all change by week's end (I'm sure it will), but for now the 'ho-hum' attitude is rather striking.

Hey, just a quick question, when was Cinergy Stadium demolished? Also, whats up with the WHO-DEY that keeps popping up in the posts? One more question for you hard-corest of Bengals fans, why hate the Steelers? The Bengals have had some of their better preformances against them in the past years. Pittsburgh makes Cinci play well, so why hate them? Maybe mutual respect? Finally, a word of caution, stillers.com, dont take to heart everything you read there. Most of the people on the site are enamored by the "were pittsburgh, we'll never lose, f**k all the other teams" attitude, or want to rape and kill Bill Cowher, If you are looking for the worst qualities of Steelers fans, Stillers.com message boards is the place to go.

You are telling me you would rather have ben and his hurt thumb over Carson? If so I have to really question your football wits as would the voters of the Pro Bowl.

Well, not with the bum thumb. But overall I think he's got more upside than Palmer. Palmer is a great QB, no questions. I'm completely sold on the guy. But I honestly feel Roethlisberger is the better of the two all things being equal.

Please don't even use the Pro Bowl as a measuring stick, it's a popularity contest more than anything else. Come on, Michael Vick over Bledsoe or Delhomme? And quite honestly I don't think Joey Porter deserved to go either. He's a big talker, and sometimes that will get you votes. The Pro Bowl's a big joke.