Bengals new free agents 2006

cover2

Bengals will sign their own instead of getting the "big splash" in free agency....they will get a few complementary pieces through the draft and FA, but I see them using most of the cap room to sign up existing players...

Isn't that the financial idea behind the Carson restructuring??? Keeping the O-line was part of the deal???

knowing how cheap the bengals are we will only have one offseason pick up

but it will be a decent player in chris hovan

Lose the cheap stuff my man....Carson, CJ, Rudi, TJ, pending O-line deals....the Bengals are not cheap....

Don't mistake smart for cheap in FA.....

I think were gonna get most of our guys through the Draft and we have CJ, Carson, and Rudi locked through to the 2008 season so were pretty solid there. We just need a diesel run stopper someone who can just tear through the O-Line like A.J. Hawk that would be an awesome upgrade but very doubtful well see the likes of him with our position in the draft.

If we have money to spend.....spend it. It would have been nice to have Corey Simon right now.

Do you even pay attention to anything but a player's name?

Just how nice would it be to have a guy who TOTALLED 34 tackles (25 solo)? A guy who had 0 sacks. A guy who was only able to be on the field for 13 games?

We talk about John Thornton not getting it done, but at least he had 40 tackles (23 solo), 2 sacks, an interception, and managed to get on the field every game.

Hell, Shaun Smith had 25 tackles (17 solo) in 13 games, most of which he didn't start.

But you want Corey Simon's name on the roster. Thankfully Marvin doesn't draft or sign free agents based on their name or their popularity but on their actual performance ability.

Are you saying John Thornton is better than Corey Simon?

You can't judge a player simply by his stats, especially a defensive tackle. Thornton gets shoved backwards five yards by novice offensive linemen on a regular basis, and makes his tackles in that position. Simon can actually hold his position at the line of scrimmage and force opposing runners to bolt for the outside, where defensive ends and linebackers are given the opportunities to make more tackles (a la Cato June's huge spike in production this season). If We had Simon on our line, I guarantee Odell, Landon, and Simmons would have all finished the season with a lot more tackles. The same goes for Justin Smith.

Before the season when there was talk that the Bengals might get Simon, I was against it. I didn't think the defensive line was so much to blame for our run-stopping woes. I was wrong.

I didn't say that if you are talking to me i would love to have Corey Simon on our team but we missed our chance like i said s**t happens

Nope, I was talking to Big Thing. Could have quoted, but I was too lazy, and your post made me regret it! :P

I'm not saying Thornton is better than Simon, but I am saying Simon is not worth his asking price. His production is not worth what you pay for his name.

I'd agree that Simon wasn't worth the money he was asking for last offseason, but if the same opportunity arises this season, there will be a greater chance of the Bengals paying up. There aren't many holes left on this team, and if the biggest one can be solved in free agency, I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see it happen that way.