Palmer Extended thru 2014

ShulaSteakhouse

The New Bengals Era really is here. Absolutely amazing news. The Bengals could not roll with a better franchise player than Carson Palmer who gives the team a chance to win every game they play as long as he remains healthy. You go Gunslinger :cheers:

Making him the highest paid player in the NFL speaks volumes about the commitment to win that is now established in Cincinnati. It is surreal.

It sounds like the contract structure will limit extensions to O-lineman next year but not prevent one or more given the cap increase and the possibility of cutting cap from the current team. The main one to extend IMO is Steinbach. Levi may have already played himself beyond what the Bengals would or now could be willing to pay for a rising LT. But the Hobson article went into the CBA implications on free agency in 2007 if no agreement is reached and neither Steinbach or Levi would be UFAs. So we'll see.

Regardless, WIN NOW and look for more great things to come this season and beyond for a long, long time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9122126

What good news!!!!!!!!!!!

Good deal to open up cap room for everybody.

Thank you Katie for flying this one under the radar and getting it done!!!!!!!!

Thank you Katie? This is CLASSIC Mike Brown.

But... If this year 10 years ago. This deal woudln't of happened. Wouldn't of even been close to happening.

Yes, it would have. The Bengals were known for not paying free agents and always paying or even overpaying their own.

It sounds like the contract structure will limit extensions to O-lineman next year but not prevent one or more given the cap increase and the possibility of cutting cap from the current team. The main one to extend IMO is Steinbach. Levi may have already played himself beyond what the Bengals would or now could be willing to pay for a rising LT. But the Hobson article went into the CBA implications on free agency in 2007 if no agreement is reached and neither Steinbach or Levi would be UFAs. So we'll see.

Yeah, it looks like they are making provisions for 2007 in Palmer's contract, too. Hobson had some more info this morning and based on that I updated the estimated yearly numbers I worked out last night. Way it's set up, it looks like Palmer's cap hit spikes to $19 million in '07, which if an uncapped year means they get to write off 1/5 of an eight year extension in one year. Could be tight if they do reach a new CBA deal, tho. Might take this as a sign the Bengals aren't expecting one...?

Yeah, it looks like they are making provisions for 2007 in Palmer's contract, too. Hobson had some more info this morning and based on that I updated the estimated yearly numbers I worked out last night. Way it's set up, it looks like Palmer's cap hit spikes to $19 million in '07, which if an uncapped year means they get to write off 1/5 of an eight year extension in one year. Could be tight if they do reach a new CBA deal, tho. Might take this as a sign the Bengals aren't expecting one...?

Could also be that they have every intention of redoing this contract if a new CBA deal is done too. Brown is smart enough to sit down with Carson and say ok dude, we are going to pay you like Peyton. Now, if they redo the CBA, we'll have to fix this a bit, but if there's no CBA you get most of your money in this uncapped year. You ok with being paid Peyton Manning numbers? Thought so. Carson is smart enough to know that if the CBA status changes, they might have to change the contract.

LIKE WE KEEP SAYING.......................IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN CINCINNATI...............YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS COMING. WE ARE ON THE BRINK OF SOMETHING SOOOO HUGE........THE ENERGY IN THIS CITY IS OUT OF CONTROL...............THAT'S OK.....ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE CAN CONTINUE TO TALK SMACK ABOUT OUR BENGALS...................IT WILL JUST BE MORE FUN TO BLIND-SIDE THEM ALL IN THE SEASONS TO COME. :rockon:

BELIEVE!

Folks at stillers.com don't like this deal much.

They are "worried" about what Ben is going to ask next year. LOL.

Of course they are saying that we jumped the gun and palmer isn't legit. And moves like this from our FO is why we haven't done s**t in the past 15 years.

But... If this year 10 years ago. This deal woudln't of happened. Wouldn't of even been close to happening.

I'm happy for Carson and the Bengals.

On ESPN this morning, they showed that Carson Palmer is 3rd all time in TD passes in his first 3 years... and he didn't play a single down his rookie year, and missed several games at the end of last season! 50 TD's in his first 28 games! Yep... Palmer's not legit.

Of course they are saying that we jumped the gun and palmer isn't legit. And moves like this from our FO is why we haven't done s**t in the past 15 years.

On ESPN this morning, they showed that Carson Palmer is 3rd all time in TD passes in his first 3 years... and he didn't play a single down his rookie year, and missed several games at the end of last season! 50 TD's in his first 28 games! Yep... Palmer's not legit.

There are actually Cincy fans that are criticizing this move. What! There are about 30 NFL teams that would trade their starting qb straight up for Carson. This is the most excited I have been over a Bengal move since (dare I say it) trading up to to draft Ki Jana Carter. Ouch!

There are actually Cincy fans that are criticizing this move. What! There are about 30 NFL teams that would trade their starting qb straight up for Carson. This is the most excited I have been over a Bengal move since (dare I say it) trading up to to draft Ki Jana Carter. Ouch!

I guess one of the things we have learned about the NFL draft is NEVER draft a Penn State RB. I think Larry Johnson is the only one that ever did anything recently...before that you have to go back to Franco Harris... :cheers:

Oh sorry I forgot the wonderfulness that is Curtis Enis and Omar Easy.... :cheers:

Can't tell I'm a Buckeye fan?????

But actually it's hard to rip Ki-jana because he was injured. He had every indication that he would be good....

Could also be that they have every intention of redoing this contract if a new CBA deal is done too.

Could be, but I think it more likely that any new CBA will include a provision that any bonuses set to kick in in 2007, no matter the type, can be prorated over the remaining life of the contract for cap purposes. I've read a couple notes about how recent deals have been structured to dump a lot of cap money into '07, so Carson's example wouldn't be the only one.

Wow, that is incredible. Draft "gurus" said he'd develop slowly too! I'd be willing to wager that Carson might be number one all time in his first three years for his completion percentage. I am sure he is up there in all of the primary stats. It's good to have a great one in stripes. B)

Could also be that they have every intention of redoing this contract if a new CBA deal is done too.

Could be, but I think it more likely that any new CBA will include a provision that any bonuses set to kick in in 2007, no matter the type, can be prorated over the remaining life of the contract for cap purposes. I've read a couple notes about how recent deals have been structured to dump a lot of cap money into '07, so Carson's example wouldn't be the only one.

Could be bridge out ahead in 2007 if no CBA extension. Trying to add provisions after the fact for signing bonuses dumped into 2007 -- especially huge ones -- seems like it would deeply penalize the teams that do it and force difficult restructuring if future caps are set that have to account for that dumped money.

So far the only thing that Gene Upshaw has said about all this that has registered with me is that everyone will be a free agent in 2007 if there's no CBA, which seems more doubtful than a strike given the revenue sharing system among the teams and the filthy rich dollar amounts we're talking about. I'm not sure whether or not it's enough for players to strike over having to wait 6 years instead of 4 to be UFAs, but the players most penalized by the changes in the short term if there is no CBA for 2007 are the players who will have to wait 2 more years to offer their services to the highest bidder.

However all that pans out and whatever some of the business motivations may be from the organizational side, this commitment to Palmer is a total triumph for the future of the team and all us fans.

Could be bridge out ahead in 2007 if no CBA extension. Trying to add provisions after the fact for signing bonuses dumped into 2007 -- especially huge ones -- seems like it would deeply penalize the teams that do it and force difficult restructuring if future caps are set that have to account for that dumped money.

I don't think it would be any more of a penalty than teams suffer now if they unwisely manage the cap. Were this to happen, and I don't know that it would, we would be talking about the Bengals gaining about $8 million in cap space in '07 and losing about a million a year through through 2014. Hardly a cap disaster.

2007 is likely to be a mess if it's an uncapped year. However, the current CBA doesn't run out in '07, in fact it sets a whole bunch of rules about what happens, like the bit about players needing 6 years experience to become a UFA. The franchise tag won't be available, but my understanding is teams still get a transition tag. There are also some rules about how many players teams can sign and lose. Like I said, a mess...but Upshaw is being a bit melodramatic in his comment.

However all that pans out and whatever some of the business motivations may be from the organizational side, this commitment to Palmer is a total triumph for the future of the team and all us fans.

True dat.

Wow, that is incredible. Draft "gurus" said he'd develop slowly too! I'd be willing to wager that Carson might be number one all time in his first three years for his completion percentage. I am sure he is up there in all of the primary stats. It's good to have a great one in stripes. B)

A guy called one of the local talk-radio shows yesterday and said, "he's a good quarterback, but when you need him to win a game when the team is behind, I don't think he can do it."

I guess he forgot about the Miami, 2nd Cleveland and Baltimore games last year and the Texans and 2nd Cleveland games this year. It's hard to come from behind when they have been in the lead so much.

Also I think that come-from-behind stat is overrated sometimes. All those comebacks that John Elway had meant that either their defense could not hold a lead and their offense through the first three quarters wasn't very good.

I don't think it would be any more of a penalty than teams suffer now if they unwisely manage the cap. Were this to happen, and I don't know that it would, we would be talking about the Bengals gaining about $8 million in cap space in '07 and losing about a million a year through through 2014. Hardly a cap disaster.

2007 is likely to be a mess if it's an uncapped year. However, the current CBA doesn't run out in '07, in fact it sets a whole bunch of rules about what happens, like the bit about players needing 6 years experience to become a UFA. The franchise tag won't be available, but my understanding is teams still get a transition tag. There are also some rules about how many players teams can sign and lose. Like I said, a mess...but Upshaw is being a bit melodramatic in his comment.

I hear you. The main thing I was looking at in '07 was the $9 mill option bonus, which jacks the cap hit that year like you've got to about $19 mill. If there is a cap in '07, that's a whopper, but hopefully there's some latitude for teams to spread it out better than take the lump.

Hobson had a sentence there that said the deal would bring healthy 8-figure cap hits in both next year and '07. That makes me wonder whether or not the $15 mill signing bonus up front is not going to be slightly more next year rather than evenly pro-rated over the allowable years of the contract. A $12 or $13 mill cap hit for Palmer next year would affect free agent pick ups and extensions a little more than than if the amount were evenly spread.

After digesting this deal more, I gotta say 3 other things now strike me.

1. Filling up the cap year in 2005. Not a ton of money but to see the Brown clan use up that space testifies further to their commitment to do all they can.

2. The timing of the deal. No telling how long this deal's been done, but waiting until the last minute to announce certainly avoided any potential distraction that it might have caused for the team.

3. The secrecy of the deal doing. Everyone involved kept this thing so close to the vest that there was neither hide nor hair of it brought up anywhere as far as I can tell. There's been some unecessary secrecy in the Bengals past IMO but this was a case where it was warranted because I do suspect there's going to be a couple Bengals disgruntled by it.

3. The secrecy of the deal doing. Everyone involved kept this thing so close to the vest that there was neither hide nor hair of it brought up anywhere as far as I can tell. There's been some unecessary secrecy in the Bengals past IMO but this was a case where it was warranted because I do suspect there's going to be a couple Bengals disgruntled by it.

It was definitely good work by both camps. And yeah, I'm sure there will be a few guys whose eyes bug out at the numbers. OTOH, QB is, money-wise, a bit unique in that a good QB virtually never hits the open market, so they never get a crack at the big score in FA. But the bottom line for me is that this deal, and Chad's a couple years ago, say very clearly that the Bengals will richly reward performance.