Palmer Extended thru 2014

ShulaSteakhouse

Kudos to the Brown family! Carson's deal solidifies this offense for years to come. :clap:

Reports say that he only wanted to do the deal if it could in someway make money available for the o-line and free agents in the future. I wish ESPN would give this as much attention as they did T.O.'s holdout. It lets the football world know that there are some "good guys" out there. But we all know it'll get about 5 seconds on Sportscenter and then be forgotten.

As far as Odell goes, he'll get his in due time. All of his hard work will definitely pay off, but probably not until next offseason.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this was the largest contract in NFL history? Is that true?

$118 million total - not sure if it's largest or not. Doesn't seem like it (thought someone signed - Manning maybe - for $120 million?)

Manning was like 7 yrs- 93mil and Mike Vick was 9 yrs 113mil. It very well could be the biggest.

$118 million total - not sure if it's largest or not. Doesn't seem like it (thought someone signed - Manning maybe - for $120 million?)

I *THINK* it was really close to Manning's deal. What this is, is the largest contract in NFL history that is likely to be played out until the end. Manning will no doubt retire or renegotiate before his deal is done.

This is OUTSTANDING news

It'll be even better if somehow, someway, the cap hit is taken early rather than late.....conversely, if it's skewed late, not so good. Use up te remaining cap THIS YEAR while it is STILL THIS YEAR :-)

When I heard it, my first thought was - Mike Brown died. Had to be. He surely would have steered this move right off a freaking cliff had he been in any way involved.....

It'll be even better if somehow, someway, the cap hit is taken early rather than late.....

I hate to say it, but has the Pats dynasty passed the torch. Brady did about the same thing

Marvin has really got these guys drinking the Kool-Aid. Thinking team first and self second. That is very hard to do in the NFL.

Rudi - Locked up

Chad -Locked up, for now

Carson - Locked up for life

:cheers: Just another good day to be a Bengals fan

BTW, does anyone believe in Karma. That maybe after fifteen years of bulls**t, Cincy football will rise and prosper :sure:

Per Hobson, it outstrips both Manning and Vick's deals and Carson is indeed the reigning champ at $118 million. He gets $30 million of it now through next January.

Based on those numbers, I have to say I was probably wrong before and that this will increase Carson's cap hit over the next couple of years. But probably not by a great deal, since the already had $22 million in cap space budgeted for him over the next 3 years under his original contract. And this gives them great long-range planning capability.

My completely uninformed speculation: I'll bet he ends up costing about $10 million in space a year (average), 2006 through 2011. With the $4 or $5 million that will count against the '05 cap, that will equal a bit more than half the deal. Then the other $50 million or so will be backloaded into 2012-14. At the end of 2011 he'll be 32, and how effective he will still be is anyone's guess. But you could do 15/15/20 in those last three years and by that time that will probably be a bargain price for a QB!

I hate to say it, but has the Pats dynasty passed the torch. Brady did about the same thing

Marvin has really got these guys drinking the Kool-Aid. Thinking team first and self second. That is very hard to do in the NFL.

Rudi - Locked up

Chad -Locked up, for now

BTW, does anyone believe in Karma. That maybe after fifteen years of bulls**t, Cincy football will rise and prosper :sure:

I know I'm sure as hell drinkin it. Can someone please add a little alcohol though. :cheers:

Some details from espn.com...

Under the reworked deal, Palmer will get a $15 million bonus on Dec. 31 and a base salary of $6.75 million next year. The Bengals owe him a $9 million option by Jan. 1, 2007; they'll have the option of letting the rest of the deal take effect or nullifying it at that time, but have to pay the same amount either way.

His base salaries will increase over the final eight years on the deal, topping out at $14 million in 2014. He'll also get $1 million roster bonuses for each of his last three seasons, bringing the total amount of the reworked nine-year deal to $118.75 million.

So the last three years will have $40 million+ loaded into them. I'm assuming the $15 million is a signing bonuses so that will prorate out to a $2-3 million/year (assuming 6 years, which I think is the max right now) hit. So he'll have about a $9 million hit in '06 (vs. $5 million+ originally) and a $12 million plus any salary (versus $6+ million originally) hit in '07. Which sounds like a big jump, but his hit would max out at abut $15 million in 2014. So basically he gets a jump now, but then starting in '07 his cap hit goes into the low teens...and stays there for seven years.

Nice deal. Props to Katie.

Rudi - Locked up

Chad -Locked up, for now

I know I'm sure as hell drinkin it. Can someone please add a little alcohol though. :cheers:

I respect Tom Jackson's opinion over just about everybody's. He said that not only are the Bengals good now, thanks to Marvin Lewis, but they will be good for a number of years. I'm giddy. Life is good.

From Lance McAlister's Blog:

Bengals announce a six year extension......thru 2014.

All about locking up your core:

Carson 2014

Chad 2009

Rudi 2009

TJ 2008

Deltha 2008

Next up........taking care of the OL.

2006 Bobbie, Willie, Eric, Leyi

The Bengals announced they had extended Marvin's deal thru 2008 on Feb 14 of this year.

Yet the media doesn't care....they havent talked about it. Lavar Arrington story is more important. ESPN prob. will only mention it breifly. I remeber when Peyton signed his mega deal, they devoted a whole week of sportscenters to him. Yet Palmer gets the biggest contract and it isnt that huge and has no importance...efff the media.

I may be misremembering, but hasn't it been the norm for the Bengals to NOT release the exact numbers for contracts?

They are being a bit more forthcoming this time around. For one thing, Hobson usually reports numbers, but only after Prisco or Pasquerelli or someone has issued them; then he sources them to that writer. This time Hobson had the numbers first.

That may be why it's gotten so little play...no "scoop" for anyone, they gave it to Geoff.

But I'll bet you the sight of the bengals passing out a mountain of money didn't go unnoticed by players and agents around the league... :o

The signing of Palmer is definitely huge, It will allow us to be able to address our OL in the offseason. We have Steinbach,Jones,Anderson, and Williams all FA's after 06. IMHO, I would sign Jones and Steinbach first as they are the youngest and protect CP blindside. I would then try to bring in a stud DL to help stop the run. It all really depends on the draft and lately we have done a terrific job in drafting in later rounds, this year I really wouldn't mind if we traded up in the draft to land that true gamebreaker if he's there. As I look at our team now it definitly is on the rise, but we need to upgrade some weaknesses. So IMO here is what we need to upgrade either through the draft or FA.

1) DL- we need a massive athletic guy for the middle to team with Thornton/Robinson

2) SS- we are set with Madieu, but we need that "Fulcher" type who can assist in the run game.

3) TE-Our TE's do a good job blocking, but we need to open up the middle of the field for our offense to really smoke opposing defenses.We need that pass catching TE.

4)QB- I really think we can address this with resigning Kitna.

5) OL-we need to get better depth at all the OL positions

6) DE- if available we need a pass rusher who can create havoc in opposing offensive backfields.

7) P- we need to push Larson.

OK. As near as I can tell from various published reports, the deal breaks down something like this...(updated; base salary numbers for '07 and '08 still estimates).

2005: $15 million (roster bonus, prorated over 5 years, including 2005). Total money paid to date: $15 million. '05 cap hit: $3 million

2006: Base salary of $6.75 million. Total money paid to date: $21.75 million. Total '06 cap hit: $6.75 salary + $3 million prorated bonus = $9.75 million

2007: Base salary of $7 million. $9 million option bonus. Total money paid to date: $37.75 million. Total '07 salary cap hit: $37 million salary + $9 million option bonus + $3 million prorated bonus = $19 million.

2008: Base salary of $8 million.* Total money paid to date: $45.75 million. Total '08 salary cap hit: $9 million salary + $3 million prorated bonus = $12 million.

2009: Base salary of $9.5 million. Total money paid to date: $55.25 million. Total '09 cap hit: $9.5 million salary + $3 million prorated bonus = $12.5 million

2010: Base salary of $10.5 million in salary. Total money paid to date: $65.75 million. Total '10 cap hit: $10.5 million.

2011: Base salary of $11.5 million. Total money paid to date: $77.25 million. Total '11 cap hit: $11.5 million.

2012: Base salary of $11.5 million. $1 million roster bonus. Total money paid to date: $89.75 million. Total '12 cap hit: $11.5 million salary + $1 million roster bonus = $12.5 million.

2013: Base salary of $13 million. $1 million roster bonus. Total money paid to date: $103.75 million. Total '13 cap hit: $13 million salary + $1 million roster bonus = $14 million.

2014: Base salary of $14 million. $1 million roster bonus. Total money paid to date: $118.75 million. Total '14 cap hit: $14 million salary + $1 million roster bonus = $15 million.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. It's nice to know I'll have until I'm 40 to worry about Palmer leaving. Bring on the DT's! Who is the best DT coming out of college or free agent?

Ngata's the best but will never get him

Also, I think Kevin Kaesviharn has more than earned his $616,000 this season.

KK should get a decent raise he's not best SS or FS but he's very solid #2

Folks at stillers.com don't like this deal much.

They are "worried" about what Ben is going to ask next year. LOL.

Of course they are saying that we jumped the gun and palmer isn't legit. And moves like this from our FO is why we haven't done s**t in the past 15 years.

But... If this year 10 years ago. This deal woudln't of happened. Wouldn't of even been close to happening.

I'm happy for Carson and the Bengals.

Of course they are saying that we jumped the gun and palmer isn't legit. And moves like this from our FO is why we haven't done s**t in the past 15 years.

Funny story, which this comment and a visit to profootballtalk.com reminded me of. PFT, of course, wasted little time weighing in on the signing, and after garbling the numbers a bit, sniffed that the deal, while good, was not really worthy of an elite player like Carson Palmer.

Flash back a couple years, when the Bengals extended another budding young star -- Chad Johnson -- in his third year (as Palmer is now). Then, PFT thundered that the move proved why the Bengals would never be a top organization. Giving a big deal to a guy who was headed toward just his second 1,000-yard season was, according to the anonymous experts PFT quoted, just stupid.

Hmmm...extending Chad Johnson in year 3 = stupid, but giving Palmer more money than anyone else in football in year 3 (when he's had less playing time than Chad did) = not worthy of an elite player...:wacko:

More funny: PFT used the Chad extension as an excuse to revive its initial criticism of the Bengals' hiring of Marvin. Yes, PFT predicted Marvin would fail, because while a good coach, he "wasn't a personnel guy." So he had no chance of succeeding in a cheap-assed, no-front-office, no-scouting-talent burg like Cincy. Chad's extension was an alleged example of how Marvin didn't know his way around talent or contracts. (The site used the same logic bashing Marvin for drafting "troublemakers" like Odell and Chris Henry recently, more proof that his lck of personnel skills was just waiting to blow up in his face.)

But now Marvin signs an elite player to a (according to PFT) below-market deal. Hey, PFT, make up your mind! :lmao:

Yep, apparently to help re-sign some of the o-lineman, is the impression they give. And of course to also make sure he's a Bengal for life. Good deal.

I see Carson Palmers career in Cincinnati mirroring Brett Farves In Green Bay in each and every facet! herescarson3wb.gif

I see Carson Palmers career in Cincinnati mirroring Brett Farves In Green Bay in each and every facet!

I've always thought the same thing about Carson. Loads of touchdowns, loads of yards, and maybe a bit high on the picks too. A Superbowl or two should find its way into the mix, just like Brett. B)