The Dirt On The Bengals' Defense from Fox Sports

ShulaSteakhouse

Super Bowl Baby :bengal:

It's just like starting the season all over again....Anything less than the players thinking they would take a 9-0 record into the bye was doing a disservice to themselves. Didn't happen, but was closeer to reality than farther away from it. Same goes for the Super Bowl.

We're 1 week away from the 2nd season now. None of this going into hobbled or overexposed. It's a brand new season and whoever keeps delivering the goods takes it all. The Bengals got the goods to get there and they just got to get them delivered is all. Time for the coaches to step and really earn their bread to see that the best chances are given to deliver the goods. Enough of the pieces are in place right now to do it, even with the shortcomings, which every team has.

Yup. A bit more than a week from now 12 teams will start an elimination tournament at 0-0. Bengals will be one of them. And once you get in...anything can happen. :bengal:

But I would like to ask the other pessimists (you know, the one's that told us we'd be 8-8 again, or 9-7 "at best" (for the record, I said 12-4 :sure::cheers: )-- who's going to beat us?

I think, and this is my opinion as you all reminded me, every team except Jacksonville has a legitimate shot at beating us.

Pittsburgh will run the ball, we will struggle to defend. We can score, but if we don't control posession this game would be tough.

Denver can also run, but they add better defensive balance. They can scheme to stop Palmer and we will be left to run the ball. We can run, but we wouldn't score enough to win.

New England has balance and a QB who won't make mistakes. We rely on mistakes to win. This could be close, but again, they would beat us.

Indy would win for obvious reasons and by more than when we played at home.

TNBT, your comments on Tory and Delta are your opinion as well. They got to the Pro Bowl on interceptions. The fact is that they do give up huge plays. Both have defended under 20 passes on the season. Lets say they are thrown at 7 times a game. Including interceptions, they break up 2 (this is highly generous) passes per game. Now, there are 5 completions against each cornerback per game.

Please do not lambaste me for my opinion, when you blindly support your team. I too love the Bengals, but it is my opinion that they will not go very far in the playoffs. I don't stop rooting for them and personally, I want to see them upgrade on defense. To me, the DBs are a position that should be upgraded and believe it or not, there are better corners.

If Leftwich is fully healthy, Jacksonville poses a serious threat to the Bengals. They would be best served by returning to their early-season strategy, stopping the pass and allowing Fred Taylor to get his yards. This defense is still a work in progress and is only strong enough to limit one aspect of an opponent's attack. Between stopping the run and stopping the pass, they are better off stopping the pass to prevent yardage from coming in chunks. Pressuring the box and allowing Leftwich to make plays down the field will lead to a quick exit for the Bengals in their long-awaited return to the playoffs.

And there it is. In fact, the only thing missing is a clever/stupid angle about playing with fire and peeing the bed.

I think, and this is my opinion as you all reminded me, every team except Jacksonville has a legitimate shot at beating us.

Absoluetly true. Then again, I'll argue that under the right game conditions the Bengals can beat any team in the playoffs.

But I would like to ask the other pessimists (you know, the one's that told us we'd be 8-8 again, or 9-7 "at best" (for the record, I said 12-4 :sure::cheers: )-- who's going to beat us?

Pittsburgh will run the ball, we will struggle to defend. We can score, but if we don't control posession this game would be tough.

Denver can also run, but they add better defensive balance. They can scheme to stop Palmer and we will be left to run the ball. We can run, but we wouldn't score enough to win.

New England has balance and a QB who won't make mistakes. We rely on mistakes to win. This could be close, but again, they would beat us.

Everbody posting on this issue seems to have great insight and a lot of good ideas, however I feel compelled to point out that even the great Ton Brady threw an interception to the Jets on Mon Nite thast was returned for a TD. Point is even the best have moments they would like to do over, I think this years Bengals are going to be A-OK

TNBT, your comments on Tory and Delta are your opinion as well. They got to the Pro Bowl on interceptions. The fact is that they do give up huge plays. Both have defended under 20 passes on the season. Lets say they are thrown at 7 times a game. Including interceptions, they break up 2 (this is highly generous) passes per game. Now, there are 5 completions against each cornerback per game.

Please do not lambaste me for my opinion, when you blindly support your team. I too love the Bengals, but it is my opinion that they will not go very far in the playoffs. I don't stop rooting for them and personally, I want to see them upgrade on defense. To me, the DBs are a position that should be upgraded and believe it or not, there are better corners.

Everbody posting on this issue seems to have great insight and a lot of good ideas, however I feel compelled to point out that even the great Ton Brady threw an interception to the Jets on Mon Nite thast was returned for a TD. Point is even the best have moments they would like to do over, I think this years Bengals are going to be A-OK

Wow I really screwed that last post up. My appoligies to all

Anyone who truly believes this Bengal team can win the super bowl this year has some issues. <_< I'd love to see it, but it isn't going to happen.

This is the best Bengal team in a LONG time and should be applauded for whatever it accomplishes this year. Be it a first round win or loss, I'll be toasting the team and their resurgence. :)

As for the quotes, they're interesting. I'd hate to see the D resort to giving up on the run.

It is funny to hear other teams fans on this site dogging us out. RichMat....I ditto your response. We are a young team...........Black Jesus has only been here for 3 seasons.......We (Bengals fans) are excited in regards to our fantastic year.....the thing is.....the Bengals have more potential for next year and many years to come, if we draft responsibly............Don't get me wrong......it would be great to go to the big dance. Football fans across the country have no idea what is to come................

I agree mostly what you're saying...

But why not this year?

YEAH :angry: WHY NOT? :sure:

i ain't betting on it. :rolleyes:

Tory is pretty slow but takes great angles and knows where he is supposed to be at all times. His slow speed causes him to get burnt a few times but I'll take the good w/ the bad. Deltha is one of the faster corners in the league but he gambles too much. Deltha is a premiere cornerback, Marvins best pick-up. If Williams can stay healthy, he is a top safety. We still need an enforcer to play the strong side. Our linebacking group is deep and talented, we don't need anybody in that area. Our D line is where the most work needs done.We need to revamp the whole line. Smith is average at best, maybe better suited to play linebacker. He makes a lot of tackles but they are to far down the field. Everybody else deserves to be back-ups, they all suck pretty bad. In order for our defense to be really good, we need 2 new playmakers on the line and 1 at SS. This problem can be easily solved via free agency or the first couple rounds of the draft. Every year everybody thinks we should draft a big DT in the first couple rounds and Marvin fails to do so, I think 2006 is the year. We've made our first step and made it into the playoffs but I believe our second step is at least a year away.

I would br prone to agree with your right to your own opinion if it weren't so misguided.

Deltha might not have a ton of stats as far as pass break-ups... but neither did Deion Sanders. One of the signs of being a great CB is that QB's don't like throwing in your direction... especially when you have the type of ball-hawking skills as Deltha Oneil.

I went back to the game where the Bengals got torched the most - against Indy. Assuming that Deltha was so prone to the big plays, like you say, I was ready to see a lot of mistakes in his play, since he was up against Harrison the majority of the game... one of the biggest threats for the deep ball, and in many people's minds, the best receiver in the league.

Harrison was held to 5 catches for 42 yards... with no play for more than 13 yards. More than that, he had 13 balls thrown his way - meaning there were 8 incompletions. Deltha got credit for only 1 of these incompletions, because he didn't get his hands on the ball... but he was directly responsible for Mannings care not to throw INT's, and therefore made it very difficult for Harrison to make those catches.

Deltha has given up some big plays due to going for the INT, but most of our big plays come due to our 3rd string safeties. Give credit where it is due. Deltha is one of the premier CB's in the league, not because I believe it, but because other NFL players believe it. There may be better corners... but not many.

Eric Allen, a former DB said he was the best in the entire league, and has made the single biggest impact on the enitre team's turnaround. But you're right... he's probably a scrub.

But I would like to ask the other pessimists (you know, the one's that told us we'd be 8-8 again, or 9-7 "at best" (for the record, I said 12-4 :sure::cheers: )

I think I'm gonna go back and find that thread Kirk. The one that had everyones pre-seasons predictions on how the Bengals regular season record would end up. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I called 11-5. Sadly my powerball guesses never end up quite as good. <_<

As far as the article on the Bengals defense, it's got it's flaws, but the majority of it is right on the money. Damn it. :(

Wow Shula that filled up quick. To respond to the dominant D qoute.(I wish I could qoute) This is d has several things in place. A shut down corner. An impact set of linebackers. And a pair of pass rushers. Its the SS safety whole that is killing us. The SS safety has run and pass responsibilitys. The M williams injury killed us. This D has been playing well but whe teams have pitch and catch to the TE. Yet this D has won a couple of games for us and helped the O with all those turnovers. If they can fill the few holes they have left this D will be dominant. I would say that Geathers, Robinson, KK, tory , Will not be starting here next year. This defense is in the first year of this scheme and should be getting better in their second year. I was hoping at the end of this season but IMHO its probably to late for this year. They have one more game till it really counts Im looking to see how they respond. In short Ive noticed steady but slow improvement.

But I would like to ask the other pessimists (you know, the one's that told us we'd be 8-8 again, or 9-7 "at best" (for the record, I said 12-4 :sure::cheers: )

I think I'm gonna go back and find that thread Kirk. The one that had everyones pre-seasons predictions on how the Bengals regular season record would end up. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I called 11-5. Sadly my powerball guesses never end up quite as good. <_<

As far as the article on the Bengals defense, it's got it's flaws, but the majority of it is right on the money. Damn it. :(

Here... let me help you out. It's on the Banter before the first Browns game.. http://www.bengalszone.com/article.php?sid=319

Oh, and by the way, look at my prediction before the Cleveland game of the score... I was one point off!