New Coyle Mock @ GBN

HoosierCat

I hope this ends up wrong. If we use our first round pick on offense, I might cry. Yes, a tight end would add yet another dimension to the offense, but how much better can it get when it is already going to finish in the NFL's top five and probably top three?

If the defensive talent sucks when we pick, then trade down!

Pope would benefit from another year to get thicker and hone his skills. But if he is told he'll be projected in the 1st 2 rounds, then he'd be foolish not to enter early. As for the Bengals taking him in the 1st, they could do worse.

I'd rather see the Bengals pick a cover corner (Tye Hill or Will Blackmon), a strong safety (Darnell Bing), or an LB who can play weakside in NFL (D'qwell Jackson, Nick Reid, or maybe Thomas Howard).

Some of Coyle's picks seem like stretches to me, such as Jimmy Williams at 4th overall and Ngata as the 5th, and Kelly Jennings, LenDale White, and Maurice Drew in the 1st round at all.

The biggest surprise is junior Charles Gordon from Kansas. Last night in the Kansas Bowl Game vs. Houston he looked pretty much like the 3rd WR but is clearly a major punt returning threat. The announcers mentioned the 7 picks he had last year playing corner, but I believe they said he hadn't played corner at all this year. The other top 3 Kansas CBs are senior and I'd be surprised if Gordon doesn't return to play CB unless of course he gets convinced he really is a 1st rounder in which case he'd be crazy not to enter early.

Some of Coyle's picks seem like stretches to me, such as Jimmy Williams at 4th overall and Ngata as the 5th, and Kelly Jennings, LenDale White, and Maurice Drew in the 1st round at all.

Well, at this point I think it's all a stretch. Ye Olde Draft Hype Machine hasn't even fired up yet. And with the Bengals winning I haven't been paying much attention to college ball this year. All that said, I do like to nose around mocks and such this time of year precisely because the Kipers and Combines haven't started pushing guys up and down and all around.

As for taking a TE...yeah, I'd rather go defense, too...but I don't think I'd complain much.

It is early but never too early really to keep the stuff in mind, especially now that the Bowl Game season upon us and chances to watch the prospects are here one last time in real game action.

I like the GBN site a lot and think the 1st round picks are pretty solid. No question the draft stock of many will rise, fall, or both a few times before it's all said and done.

Among players who have helped themselves so far in the Bowl Season IMO is WSLB Nick Reid from Kansas. He was all over the field last night against Houston and even had to cover extremely fast WRs downfield some in the Houston spread. Plus he's real physical and kept nice QB contain when he came up on rollouts. Reminds me a lot of Chad Greenway and I'd rate him higher than Thomas Howard, who I say will slip because he's not physical enough vs. the run or shedding blocks.

Usually when you read a mock draft you just nod your head for awhile until you come to a pick that you can't fathom. This one had me scratching my head over the second pick. C'mon, does anyone really think the 49'ers would draft Leinart 2nd overall? Seriously?

Btw, the writer had Ngata rated the 22nd best player on 11/09, then bumped him up to 14th best on 12/21, then in the mock draft ticketed him to Green Bay 5th overall just one day later. :blink:

Last, after witnessing the Bill game today I wonder how many of us balked a bit when seeing the Bengals selecting at #30 in that mock?

People who make these things have about 4 picks in there head that they know are good and they just fill in the rest with slight team needs. The only one that I take stock in is the Sporting News one.

Last, after witnessing the Bill game today I wonder how many of us balked a bit when seeing the Bengals selecting at #30 in that mock?

:lol: I ain't balked yet but I'm getting there.

FWIW DeAngelo Williams just set the NCAA record with 34 100-yd games in his career, breaking the record shared by Tony Dorsett and Archie Griffin. Another note about the mock....Williams is at 17 behind Michael Bush. I like Bush a lot but not better than Williams and can't imagine any NFL team that would either. Bush's draft status looks a lot like another U of L early entry RB last year --Eric Shelton -- who went deep in the second. But Bush is a sleeker runner IMO with better cuts and more speed than Shelton plus has comparable power. If he comes out he might stand a late 1st round chance but I'm not sure where he's at with the injury he had a few weeks back.