Defensive Tackles/Top 5 Draft Picks

Dadraftnick

Caleb Miller has dealt w/ injuries and we have had Lbs step up and take his spot in the rotation. Caleb has been ten times more productive than Askew. I'm not saying Askew was a bad pick, anything after the second round can be a risky pick. He has all the tools but he is to immature and don't have the heart to play in the NFL. The reason I call him the biggest bust is because he has all the potential in the world but is not able to do s**t about it. Weathersby is not a bust but has dealt w/ several freak accidents.

I would like to hear everbody's opinions on who they think are Marvins best draft picks and who they think are his worst.

Best draft picks

1. Carson Palmer

2. Eric Steinbach

3. Odell Thurman

4. Madieu Williams

5. Jeremi Johnson

6. Landon Johnson(had to add one because his name deserves to be mentioned)

*Rober Geathers would get my nod for Honorable Mention

Worst draft picks

1. Mathias Askew

2. Caleb Miller

3. Stacy Andrews( based on production,still has a lot of potential)

4. Chris Perry( love the guy but hasn't lived up to the first round pick; He needs to stay healthy

5. Casey Bramlet(No longer on a NFL roster, would be higher but he was only a seventh rounder)

If I had to pick right now

Best Picks

1. Carson Palmer

2. Eric Steinback

2. Trading pick for Deltha Oneal

3. Ordell Thurman

4. Landon Johnson

5. Madieu Williams

6. Keiwan Ratliff

7. Chris Henry

8. Jeremi Johnson

9. Chris Perry

10. Tap Perry

Worst Picks

1. Caleb Miller

2. Maurice Mann

3. Kelley Washington

4. Mathias Askew

5. David Pollack

6. Elton Patterson

Marvin isn't out hand-picking these guys himself though - the Tobins, Cooper and even Coslet have been a part of the draft turnaround. The '03 and '05 drafts were very solid and it's made all the difference.

I think Marvin has an eye for defensive and special teams talent, and how they will fit into his roster plan and depth - and is very good at managing that part of things.

OK heres my ideas. Or what I wanted.

First draft I got my dream draft.

Palmer and Steinbach.

KW over Whitten pissed me off.

JJ over Ryan long , Marvin might have been right.

Second draft I went into shock on draft day but Marvin proved me wrong. Probably his best draft. Too early to call these players, but Askew sucks his thumb.

Third draft

I liked it alot every pick. Even water boy looks good.

Third draft cant be judged yet.

Marvins picks have been solid but everyone misses some!

Jungleman is an idiot. I was asking people to give their opinion based on what they have seen so far. As far as calling me a moron for giving an opinion is just plain ignorant. You must not know much about football or evaluating players if you cannot judge talent over a three year period. My list may change next year and the next year after that, actually I know my list will change up a bit but I can definately evaluate a player after three years in the NFL. By the way, I forgot about Mann, I'd place him as the second worst pick. I almost forgot, you stated it takes at least 4 years to judge a player but if that was the case it could take up to 6 years or maybe 7 if you look at some of the players that never made an impact until later in their career. Steve Young, Rich Gannon just to name a couple. You need to grow up and learn how to think before you write or just read the post and not comment because you lack the intelligence it takes in order to write a post.

Why do you have David Pollack as one of our worst picks. Jezzz give the kid time!!!!!!!!! Some people expeceted him to be a pro bowler right away and you gotta give him a chance, he is learning a new damn posistion. Now, I know most of you think it should be easy because he is a first round pick, and most of you have never played football and don't know how hard it really is.

One point to note in this, since Marvin Lombardi took over there have been no DTs drafted on Day 1, much less the 1st round. There's been 2 picks of DTs -- Askew in the 4th in 2004 and the long-gone Langston Moore in the 6th.

Don't expect a DT taken this year on Day 1. But who knows.

The more likely route for DT would be free agency and a player who's proven he can play and works hard.

Other than possible cap casualties, the top dollar DT in the offseason looks like Rocky Bernard of the Seahawks, who will proly fetch more than the Bengals are willing to or should pay.

It's unlikely that the Colts bid to keep Larry Triplett who has also earned himself a big payday with his play this year in the place of the highly-paid and injured Josh Williams. But Tripplett don't have the bulk that the Bengals ought to be looking for out of a DT.

The best fits for the Bengals IMO would be:

1. Ma'ake Kemoeatu -- Ratbirds. He is beast size.

2. Kendrick Clancy -- Giants. Has upped his price with a solid season. Plays low and is hard to move.

3. Ron Edwards -- Bills. Started one year before Sam Adams shouwed up. Has been injury prone and should be available at near minimum. He is huge.

4. Montsanto Pope -- Donkeys. Got lost in the Cleveland Broncos D-line shuffle this year. Cheap.

5. Russell Davis -- Zona. Torn bicep kept him out almost all of this year. But he's proven enough at the position.

1. Ma'ake Kemoeatu -- Ratbirds. He is beast size.

2. Kendrick Clancy -- Giants. Has upped his price with a solid season. Plays low and is hard to move.

3. Ron Edwards -- Bills. Started one year before Sam Adams shouwed up. Has been injury prone and should be available at near minimum. He is huge.

4. Montsanto Pope -- Donkeys. Got lost in the Cleveland Broncos D-line shuffle this year. Cheap.

5. Russell Davis -- Zona. Torn bicep kept him out almost all of this year. But he's proven enough at the position.

1. Ma'ake - If the Ratbirds let him loose, perhaps he is worth a look.

2. Kendrik - Not as good as Thornton.

3. Ron - INJURY PRONE. Last thing we need is a guy we can count on to be injured.

4. Montsanto - Could be a good BACKUP. We need a starter.

5. Russel - Didn't Ohalete show you a defender from Zona isn't worth the salt on a plain bagel?

I agree on the "hold off on Pollack" sentiment. I've gained notoriety here for the "Pollack is God" comment, which was meant in part to mock the kool aid drinking regarding the guy, but come on. He's a rookie who listened to bad advice from an agent regarding his contract. You simply can't make the transition from end to LB just on on-the-job training, but there has been some improvement--if nothing else than in the mental accuity required for the position (fewer false starts, thank God).

Honestly, if you swap Odell and Pollack's draft positions, most folks would think that they were both living up to their spot.