Powell-Askew-Perry-Olahete Injury Megathread

combatbengal

JJ will flourish on 3rd downs....the only reason he is not the full time 3rd downer is because of Perry...

I think JJ will surprise alot of people with the pass catching skills on a regular basis...

Also, R. Kelly at the FB position has been working great....You could have Kelly and JJ in the backfield at the same time!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One sack huh? Well, that pretty much matches the sack total of all the DT's on our roster now doesn't it?

:lol: U got me there. Still Hes just as bad as the rest of our DTs, why forumers were so obsessed with him is beyond me. He had very little upside, there was no need to keep him.

I think he had plenty of upside compared to who we have. Granted, he's not going to make anyone forget about Tim Krumrie, but he made some plays last year.

This may be a blessing, albeit a painful one, in that with JJ and R.Kelly/Luchey blocking, we get a rotation that D's have not seen, a fresh look.

Perry is now a known qty. Teams have film of him and make adjustments based on him. We could keep a D guessing for a bit with this personnel.

It's actually a great time in the year to see what Askew and Fanane can do. I'd love to see them both active and get some serious snaps. We can afford to do a little testing before the upcoming draft/FA seasons.

BTW, I heard on playbook that Kyle Vanden Bosch is finishing up a one year contract right now...

Yeah we can afford to do a little experimenting considering we are only playing for a bye in the first round on the playoffs. :rolleyes:

MORE INJURIES: The Bengals received another injury blow Wednesday when the second of their top four defensive tackles got ruled out of Sunday’s game in Detroit. Carl Powell (neck), who has been spelling tackles John Thornton and Shaun Smith, has been categorized as “doubtful to out” by head coach Marvin Lewis.

Smith is already playing for the injured Bryan Robinson. The Bengals could activate rookie end Jonathan Fanene, but he has virtually played no tackle since he’s been here and that would still leave them with just two tackles. It could mean that Matthias Askew, a pure tackle, suits up for the first time this season.

Powell is officially listed as doubtful. Safery Ifeanyi Ohalete (ribs) is questonable after not practicing Wednesday. Not practicing Wednesday but probable are center Rich Braham (knee), running back Rudi Johnson (knee), long snaper Brad St. Louis (knee), and Thornton (ribs).

For the Lions, running back Kevin Jones (elbow) is doubtful. Wide receiver/returner Eddie Drummond (knee) didn't practice and is questionable.

So were gonna get too see askew play :o WTF lol

While we're on the injury subject, looks like Detroit's banged up too...

http://www.bengals.com/team/InjuryReport.asp

Boss Baily, Kevin Jones, Casey Fitzsimmons & Earl Holmes all either out or doubtful. Drummond is questionable.

Drummond if healthy is a big weapon on kick returns....may have to watch that develop....if he's out that really hurts the Lions...

I am puzzled by how the DL is constructed. Geathers at DT, etc. Put Justin inside at this rate!

Just have Geathers and Pollack on the outside and Thorton, Smith and Justin on the inside. Why not?? :lmao:

The DL is hard sometimes to track at game speed because the Bengals do use DEs as DTs, particularily in passing situations. I suppose it will come down to what it has largely been much of the season with Jumpy Jr. as the RDT in passing situations. Could Justin do it? I kinda doubt it because of his size and Jumpy I believe is proly somewhere in between Justin and Thornton in size.

So really, Carl Plowed going out may not make that much difference in terms of personnel since Jumpy would be the DE/DT in situations where Powell might have been used and Pollack could rush end, like has been the case a lot already. If that's the plan -- Jumpy as the 3rd DT which he really has been along -- then I would expect Fanene to get activated ahead of Askew and play DE.

The only probelm with this is that it would just about force Jumpy to be on the field the whole time on defense and probably also Thornton, who would switch from RDT to LDT on passing downs. We'd see Big Duane come in as the 4th DT to spell either Thornton or Jumpy in that case in passing situations....but for the love of God don't let Duane play DE. His containment vs. the run is horrible.

There should be even less reasons to have JJ as the tailback in the Power I for 1st and 2nd downs than there was for Perry. No reason to risk fumbles from someone not used to carrying the ball. Best thing to do short term looks like using JJ as a single back on passing downs to almost exclusively block in formations w/ 3 WRs and a H-back/TE or 4 Wrs.

Long-term, it would be to call up Quincy Wilson, sign some other practice squad RB, or a veteran out of football like Dorsey Levens.

I don't agree. At this point, it would be tough to bring in a vet and get him up to speed in time to make a difference. And while I have nothing against Wilson, I prefer JJ immensely. Using him as "almost exclusively" a blocker would also be a waste of his talents IMHO (quick quiz: who has more receiving TDs this year, Chris Perry or JJ?). JJ has good hands, decent moves, and what he lacks in speed he makes up for in power.

Sheesh. Where's the love?

Well there's no shortage of love for the lead blocking extraordinaire, decent pass catching fullback otherwise known as JJ. But as a featured RB in the back of a Power I, I would point to serious doubts about his ability as a NFL runner. He's had just 3 carries in each of the last 2 seasons including this one. And I believe one of those carries was a fumble.

Give him a chance there? Why not, if Chris Perry is not going IR. But JJ touches as a runner should be few and far between unless he shows immediate production and more improtantly reliability in holding onto the ball. If the Bengals have to tack that course because Perry is out and JJ looks like he will be ineffective at it, then I would shout that they need to either activate Wilson, maybe try to find the next Samkon Gado off a practice squad in a hurry, or consider finding a verstaile veteran performer who is a year removed from the game like Dorsey Levens provided he is or can quickly be put into game shape.

I will stand by the statement that I think the best use of JJ in an expanded role is a single-back in passing situations where he should be emphasized as a blocker, both blitz and help against a team that gets as much pressure from its front 4 as the Lions. Can he leak out into the flats if he don't have to block and Carson needs to check down? Certainly and I would expect him to be productive doing that.

I would really like to see Quincy get a shot at the back-up slot for now, I was really impressed with him in preseason - for what it's worth - I remember him being a bit too much like Rudi -but that's not such a bad thing - he's a tough runner who deserves a shot somewhere I think. Was a great college back.

I would really like to see Quincy get a shot at the back-up slot for now, I was really impressed with him in preseason - for what it's worth - I remember him being a bit too much like Rudi -but that's not such a bad thing - he's a tough runner who deserves a shot somewhere I think. Was a great college back.

I agree with you. I think the important thing is to keep Rudi fresh going into the playoffs. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone battle tested and ready if Rudi gets hurt.