Powell-Askew-Perry-Olahete Injury Megathread

combatbengal

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

per da site...

The Bengals received another injury blow Wednesday when the second of their top four defensive tackles got ruled out of Sunday’s game in Detroit. Carl Powell (neck), who has been spelling tackles John Thornton and Shaun Smith, has been categorized as “doubtful to out,” by head coach Marvin Lewis.

Smith is already playing for the injured Bryan Robinson. They could activate rookie end Jonathan Fanene, but he has virtually played no tackle since he’s been here and that would still leave them with just two tackles. It could mean that Matthias Askew, a pure tackle, suits up for the first time this season. . .

Call it the bust watch. If this doesn't get Askew into the game, nothing will.

per da site...
The Bengals received another injury blow Wednesday when the second of their top four defensive tackles got ruled out of Sunday’s game in Detroit. Carl Powell (neck), who has been spelling tackles John Thornton and Shaun Smith, has been categorized as “doubtful to out,” by head coach Marvin Lewis.

Smith is already playing for the injured Bryan Robinson. They could activate rookie end Jonathan Fanene, but he has virtually played no tackle since he’s been here and that would still leave them with just two tackles. It could mean that Matthias Askew, a pure tackle, suits up for the first time this season. . .

Call it the bust watch. If this doesn't get Askew into the game, nothing will.

Let's give Oliver Gibson a call... :sure:

I'm sorry but how does it fly that the only known problem in this player is a "maturity issue."

Does this mean he cries at night for his Mommy? Does he back-talk coaches? Does he blow off his assignements and his studying of the playbook like a 6th grader? Does he bicker and fight with the other kids???

Excuse me but this kid is getting hundereds, literally HUNDERDS of thousands of dollars a year to not dress due to a "maturity issue"???

How in the name of all thing deemed holy by ML does this fly in any way, shape or form?

We keep Askew but let Langston Moore go... We keep Askew on roster despite the ability to get servicable-to-good FA's only to pay him (enable him) to be immature?

Ok, I realize the guy has the tools, the size, the ability but WTF, ML? This guy has contributed 0.

Mr. Askew. Sunday. Detroit. Show us what you got. Grow up and be a man. Be a teammate. Earn your pay for the last 2 years.

I'm sorry but how does it fly that the only known problem in this player is a "maturity issue."

Does this mean he cries at night for his Mommy? Does he back-talk coaches? Does he blow off his assignements and his studying of the playbook like a 6th grader? Does he bicker and fight with the other kids???

Excuse me but this kid is getting hundereds, literally HUNDERDS of thousands of dollars a year to not dress due to a "maturity issue"???

How in the name of all thing deemed holy by ML does this fly in any way, shape or form?

We keep Askew but let Langston Moore go... We keep Askew on roster despite the ability to get servicable-to-good FA's only to pay him (enable him) to be immature?

Ok, I realize the guy has the tools, the size, the ability but WTF, ML? This guy has contributed 0.

Mr. Askew. Sunday. Detroit. Show us what you got. Grow up and be a man. Be a teammate. Earn your pay for the last 2 years.

Amen brother! I trust ML knows what he is doing, but I have to admit that I am often confused over his DL choices. Who knows what Askew can do unless you get him in the game. Maybe he isn't a great practice player, but he may surprise in a game. Look how long it to S. Smith to see the field and he looks to be doing as good or better job than Robinson. It's hard to believe that Askew can not be activated and used for something along the way. And I still don't get the Langston Moore release.

I know Marvin has a plan. I just wish he'd let me in on it. :)

It's actually a great time in the year to see what Askew and Fanane can do. I'd love to see them both active and get some serious snaps. We can afford to do a little testing before the upcoming draft/FA seasons.

BTW, I heard on playbook that Kyle Vanden Bosch is finishing up a one year contract right now...

KVB is OK. The biggest knock on him is that most of his sacks come against bad teams, BAL, HOU, AZ, SF, STL...

vs Cincy he had 3 assists...In 2 games vs Indy he had 2 tackles and 2 assists.

He is alot like J. Smith...not sure if he'd be an upgrade.

Maybe he's got Vaughn Booker's number too.

Just don't call Glenn Steele. :wacko:

Powell's main offering was speed inside on pass rush and giving Shaun Smith a chance to breathe. I seriously doubt Shaun Smith can go a whole game and not slow all the way to a halt.

Going into any game with a 3 DT rotation of Thornton, Smith, and Big Duane by default doesn't sit well, but it is what it is. If Fanene can't be the 4th, then there's no choice but Askew unless they want to give Stacy the Giant a chance at DT, which is highly doubtful.

I say throw Askew to the Lions. :D

There should be even less reasons to have JJ as the tailback in the Power I for 1st and 2nd downs than there was for Perry. No reason to risk fumbles from someone not used to carrying the ball. Best thing to do short term looks like using JJ as a single back on passing downs to almost exclusively block in formations w/ 3 WRs and a H-back/TE or 4 Wrs.

Long-term, it would be to call up Quincy Wilson, sign some other practice squad RB, or a veteran out of football like Dorsey Levens. Hard to tell how bad Perry was hurt. It didn't look as bad as what happened to Ed Reed or Todd Heap on their high ankle sprains. But as dependent as Perry is on his ankles for his running style, it wouldn't necessarily have to be as bad to keep him out just as long. I believe he had a sports hernia that limited him to 2 carries last year, so maybe he's not the quickest to heal anyway.

Mitchell did a nice just vs. Clowns...and so did Bauman. But as easy as Ohalete has made it for everyone to notice when he sucks, there are reasons why Mitchell has not bumped him from the starting lineup or vied for significant playing time. Those reasons would show up pretty quick if Mitchell is forced to cover a lot against a team with a decent QB and fast receivers.

Powell's main offering was speed inside on pass rush and giving Shaun Smith a chance to breathe. I seriously doubt Shaun Smith can go a whole game and not slow all the way to a halt.

Going into any game with a 3 DT rotation of Thornton, Smith, and Big Duane by default doesn't sit well, but it is what it is. If Fanene can't be the 4th, then there's no choice but Askew unless they want to give Stacy the Giant a chance at DT, which is highly doubtful.

On a serious note, what ever happened to Langston Moore? DId he ever get picked up by anyone?

I thought he was decent last year. He played well in the Monday Nighter after Tony Williams was injured.

On a serious note, what ever happened to Langston Moore? DId he ever get picked up by anyone?

I thought he was decent last year. He played well in the Monday Nighter after Tony Williams was injured.

The Cardinals picked him up. He looked good for the first couple of games, but I haven't checked lately.

The Cardinals picked him up. He looked good for the first couple of games, but I haven't checked lately.

If by "looked good" you mean "did nothing" then yes, you are right.

He had 1 tackle in his first 5 games, hes now been inactive since the 11/06 game vs seattle.

To his credit though, he did pick up a sack in 1 game.

On Askew though, if Fanene (whos never played DT) gets the nod over him this week when we are this thin at DT, I think its time to give up on him.

Nice. :sure:

Solid points about Askew being needed to flesh out the DT rotation. If he can't get on the field when the DT roster is this thin he's probably not part of anyones future plans. Agreed that Shaun Smith has been a welcome surprise but it's hard to picture him getting much push if he isn't given plenty of rest. Last, I'll admit I hadn't given much thought to Clemons being activated based upon his interior play, but he's had far more experience there than Fanene and his ability to rush the passer might prompt the Bengals to gameplan more against the Lion passing attack rather than the run game.

There should be even less reasons to have JJ as the tailback in the Power I for 1st and 2nd downs than there was for Perry. No reason to risk fumbles from someone not used to carrying the ball. Best thing to do short term looks like using JJ as a single back on passing downs to almost exclusively block in formations w/ 3 WRs and a H-back/TE or 4 Wrs.

Long-term, it would be to call up Quincy Wilson, sign some other practice squad RB, or a veteran out of football like Dorsey Levens.

I don't agree. At this point, it would be tough to bring in a vet and get him up to speed in time to make a difference. And while I have nothing against Wilson, I prefer JJ immensely. Using him as "almost exclusively" a blocker would also be a waste of his talents IMHO (quick quiz: who has more receiving TDs this year, Chris Perry or JJ?). JJ has good hands, decent moves, and what he lacks in speed he makes up for in power.

Sheesh. Where's the love?

If by "looked good" you mean "did nothing" then yes, you are right.

He had 1 tackle in his first 5 games, hes now been inactive since the 11/06 game vs seattle.

To his credit though, he did pick up a sack in 1 game.

On Askew though, if Fanene (whos never played DT) gets the nod over him this week when we are this thin at DT, I think its time to give up on him.

One sack huh? Well, that pretty much matches the sack total of all the DT's on our roster now doesn't it? Actually he had 9 tackles and is currently on injured reserve.

After seeing how Wilson handled himself in preseason with the ball (quite impressive) I am all for bringing him up if they are asking someone to share some carries.

Kelly's sure been in the backfield a lot lately blocking.

Perry's situation is truly disappointing...again...starting to wonder if he's simply an injury prone player who will always have problems with major/significant injuries.