Lions Fans Planning "Orange Out" for Cincy Game

HoosierCat

Nice site you got here. As a Lions Fan I must admit, we are upset. Millen has taken a 9-7 team (that lucked into the playoffs a few times) into the garbage you see on the field now. Firing Mooch was a huge mistake, not that I think Mooch's play calling was great, but it removed his scapegoat. Now the attention has been focused on Millen. Millen hasn't even had a 500 team and don't get me started on his drafts.

Normally the fans at Ford Field aren't very rowdy, nothing like the Silverdome days, but last weekend was different.

If the Lions lose to GB this Sunday night (haven't won there in like 14 years), the Bengals game could very interesting.

I'm thinking of getting tickets, wearing my orange and laughing at Johnson's TD celebration. We believe the Orange-Out may just embarrass Ford enough to make a change.

Millen did receive a 5 year extension on his contract this summer, but there has been mixed reports if it is guaranteed or not. It has also been reported that he said he asked, he would leave w/o seeking any additional money.

Good luck this weekend, the Bengals are my favorite AFC team and it is nice to see them finally suceeding. I still love the Icky shuffle.

Welcome. I never had any ill will toward the Lions either, as a matter of fact, when they would sneak into the playoffs I would root for them. Thank You.......and, FIRE MILLEN!!!!!!!!!!

Back in the dark days of Giants football history, i.e. the '70s, the front office was a mess and little effort was being made to field a competitive team. Fans staged protests in the parking lot, making bonfires of season tickets, and even a pilot was hired to either drag a banner or skywrite over the game...can't recall what it said, but the message came through loud and clear.

It was a banner, famed in Giants lore: "15 years of lousy football." The difference between the Lions (and the bengals of the Nineties, for that matter) was that their owner was the late Wellington Mara, who was as miserable as the fans -- even, legend has it, going out to sympathetically speak with those season-ticket-burners. But there is always hope...just substitute the Lions in this...

http://borgman.enquirer.com/weekly/daily_h...605borgman.html

Thanks Joisey, I was wondering if you'd know that story...it was a little before my time.

Can't wait to see the Orange Out...big time props to Detroit fans if they fill that stadium with orange.

[i applaud them. They're only doing what Bengals fans did for years. I can remember very clearly rooting for the Bengals to lose in late 2002. Supporting a team through tough times is one thing, but supporting a team when management methodically brings those tough times dwn on itself is quite another.

So how much longer are Reds fans going to support this horrible team with horrible management? I guess most of us have sort of started supporting the Bengals first and foremost and sort of forgetting about the Reds. Thank goodness we have a Cincy team to root for - so we don't have to pick some other out of town team like Lions fans are doing.

[i applaud them. They're only doing what Bengals fans did for years. I can remember very clearly rooting for the Bengals to lose in late 2002. Supporting a team through tough times is one thing, but supporting a team when management methodically brings those tough times dwn on itself is quite another.

So how much longer are Reds fans going to support this horrible team with horrible management? I guess most of us have sort of started supporting the Bengals first and foremost and sort of forgetting about the Reds. Thank goodness we have a Cincy team to root for - so we don't have to pick some other out of town team like Lions fans are doing.

20030803borgmanredsdownbengals1.jpg

Millen did receive a 5 year extension on his contract this summer, but there has been mixed reports if it is guaranteed or not. It has also been reported that he said he asked, he would leave w/o seeking any additional money.

I'm probably not telling you anything you haven't heard already, but on the Mike & Mike Show Chris Mortenson stated flatly that the Lions included in the extension a buy-out option that could be exercised after this season ends. He speculated that the Ford family was still undecided about Millen's future, but reluctant to let him have a free hand picking the next head coach. He also stated that if Millen were to buck in response to their greater input it provides him with a convenient excuse for stepping down.

ON WEDNESDAY'S SHOW, WE GAVE CALLERS A CHANCE TO DUMP OUR WOEFUL DETROIT LIONS AND ADOPT A BRAND NEW TEAM TO CHEER FOR. THE CALLERS OVERWHELMING CHOSE THE CINCINNATI BENGALS AS OUR NEW NFL TEAM.

I love to see the fanbase grow, but it saddens me it must happen this way... Lions fans need to have more confidence! :(

I applaud them. They're only doing what Bengals fans did for years. I can remember very clearly rooting for the Bengals to lose in late 2002. Supporting a team through tough times is one thing, but supporting a team when management methodically brings those tough times dwn on itself is quite another. Best of luck to them.

I don't think are actually rooting for the team to lose, just that we want managment to wake up and see what Millen is doing.

It will be interesting if this does get pulled off.

and yes, we have the snafu video...

I don't think are actually rooting for the team to lose, just that we want managment to wake up and see what Millen is doing.

Didn't mean to suggest you were, just noting that that's how bad it got in Cincy. Bengals fans protested for years. Letters to local papers, year and years straight without home sellouts, even aerial banner campaigns in which they raised money to have planes towing anti-ownership banners over the stadium during games. You can find an echo of those days still at mikebrownsucks.com.

But nothing mattered. Owner Mike Brown just bulled ahead. And every year the Bengals seemed to go about 2-10 or so over the first three months, then win 3 or 4 games in December -- referred to by Bengals fans as the "dead cat bounce" -- to finish around 6-10. Which would prompt Mikey to declare that things were turning around, stay the course, we're only 1-2 players away, blah blah blah. Obviously, they never did. By 2002, with the team in a complete tailspin from the beginning, I and many other fans lived in mortal fear of that bounce. Which is why that December I actually rooted against my team for the first time in my life. As it turned out, they did crash and burn, and that total disaster of a season proved to be the turning point.

Hopefully the Fords get the message a bit earlier.