Reds Trade Casey..

7/11

The knock on Dave Williams is that he is a home run ball pitcher and has average stuff. Awesome, this reminds me of the Eric Milton deal last year, or as I like to call him the human batting tee <_< . The Reds by doing this need to go after a front line pitcher like Kevin Millwood(which they won't) and possibly trade outside the division. I always liked Casey because he was a class act and was a good hitter but I guess the Reds needed to dump his salary. O'Brien better come back with a good starting pitcher after the winter meetings or he might be looking for a new job(hopefully) afterwards.

First who signed off on this trade? IF this is a salary dump, then they need to come out and say this. Dave Williams is not an upgrade over any pitcher already in the Reds rotation. Just because he pitches some good games against the Reds don't mean he will do it against other teams. The Reds have lost their leader and their most consistent hitter. If they plan on making Dunn a full time first baseman and Pena full time in LF then this effectively weakens their defense

I hate this deal, unless it leads to something else.

Why trade him inside the division? Is this the best deal you can get, now Casey has 18 times a year to come back and haunt us.

It's like trading Carson to the Browns for Droughns. I hate this deal so much, and I hate the Reds for getting rid of their heart and soul, a player who has said repeatedly that he wants to retire in Cincinnati as a Red.

I'm pretty sure this move means that O' Brien knows he's gonna get canned by the new ownership (hopefully) and is trying to f**k as many things up as possible before he goes. I swear if he's not gone come spring training, the Reds are going to have a tough time bringing me back as a fan.

We'll miss ya, Case.

this is a vital move for us in order to rebuild. casey, while he was a great guy, is the most unconventional first basemen in the league. he can hit singles, but he's slow and he doesn't have power. where do you play a guy like that in a lineup? he can get on base, but it'll take two hits to get him home EVERY TIME.

will always root for him, but i'm interested and excited to see a lineup without him in it.

gotta say, though, that dave williams excites me as much as remembering we still have eric milton.

gotta think that we got rid of the salary for the sake of future roster additions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2250330

hate to see him go, but he didn't justify his salary :sure:

I think this a great pickup for the Pirates. It's going to be great to have the Pittsburgh native here. The Reds will absorb some of his salary and the Pirates have a great prospect first baseman in the minors who probably won't be ready untill the end of the season. :cheers:

this is a vital move for us in order to rebuild. casey, while he was a great guy, is the most unconventional first basemen in the league. he can hit singles, but he's slow and he doesn't have power. where do you play a guy like that in a lineup? he can get on base, but it'll take two hits to get him home EVERY TIME.

will always root for him, but i'm interested and excited to see a lineup without him in it.

gotta say, though, that dave williams excites me as much as remembering we still have eric milton.

gotta think that we got rid of the salary for the sake of future roster additions.

Rebuild my a$$....

They only thing the Reds are rebuilding is the inside of the old pocketbook and then blaming it on being a small-market....

The reds will not be good for a looooooong time.....

This is a good trade from a poor economic stand point. But as he led the league in double plays hit into, while providing great defense, Casey was solid early in his career and has progressively downgraded (some suspect from over-exposure in the #3 and 4 spots in the lineup). He hit over 20 homers three times but has been plagued by injuries (other people call that lack of power, but that's simply not true). He's hit 80 RBIs FIVE TIMES in his Cincinnati career and he wasn't apart of the recent strikeout virus that's been fatally hitting this team.

But this trade makes perfect economic sense.

Dave Williams, as I've read, is hit or miss per outing. He's had some brilliant outings, but a few really bad one's that's killed his overall season stats. And he's NOT a flyball pitcher. Throughout his short career, he's got a 1.05 groundball to flyball. So if anything he's evenhanded, but statically speaking, he's produced more groundball outs than flyball.

I love Casey too, but I love the Reds more and if they (the new ownership) with a less-hands-tied Dan O'Brien makes it better, then I'll support anything they do......................... for now.

First of all ..... my apologies to anyone who was on I71N the other nite when a semi started swerving all over the road. That would have been me spitting coffe all over the inside of the windshield as I listened to a Pittsburgh radio station talking about how great of a trade the Pirates had made in acquiring Casey for " a very nice guy who you already know isn't going to come back and hurt you ". I had to keep listening, because I was sure that this was a rumor ... or just plain wishful thinkng on their part.

It wasn't.

Justification for dealing Casey was we need to improve our pitching. Problem is that Williams has never had a winning season ... and the closest he came last year ( 10 and 11 ) he gave up 20 HR's and 58 walks. Now comes the rub. Narron says that in order to do well in this division that " you have to produse runs" .... Wellll NO s**t Sherlock. So you give up the guy with the highest batting average on the team .312 with a .423 slugging percentage and 165 hits for the pitcher described above. Just who are you trying to produce runs for ?????? US or the other guys ??????

In his interview, Casey said he knew he was traded because of his salary. Really bad part about that was he would have taken a pay cut with no problem at all to stay with the Reds. Instead, we sign Womak ... I know who's taking his place at first, I'm just looking at who is going and who is coming in ...... Womak last year hit .271. Narron says it's because he's an " NL player " ..... whatever the hell that means. I'll take his word for it, but his best year wth the Cards he hit .307 with 5 HR's.

I don't care how they try to spin this ..... it's just plain bad management. A better player would have taken less money to stay with the team. That's not trying to mprove the team through an upgrade or by saving Money ( they sent 1 mil. along with Casey to Pittsburgh ).

Sign Morris ............ Sign Tejada ( who BADLY wants out of Balt. ) and maybe I'll believe you're trying to improve the team. Till then ... put on the cone shaped hat and go sit in the f**king corner and be quiet.

I'd like 3 volunteers to go with me to Cincy ...... We'll each take an arm and leg of O'Brien ... rip them off and use them to beat Allen to death. It won't save the season, but it'll make all of us feel good and give the fans at least one thing to cheer about.

I'm done now.

First of all ..... my apologies to anyone who was on I71N the other nite when a semi started swerving all over the road. That would have been me spitting coffe all over the inside of the windshield as I listened to a Pittsburgh radio station talking about how great of a trade the Pirates had made in acquiring Casey for " a very nice guy who you already know isn't going to come back and hurt you ". I had to keep listening, because I was sure that this was a rumor ... or just plain wishful thinkng on their part.

It wasn't.

Justification for dealing Casey was we need to improve our pitching. Problem is that Williams has never had a winning season ... and the closest he came last year ( 10 and 11 ) he gave up 20 HR's and 58 walks. Now comes the rub. Narron says that in order to do well in this division that " you have to produse runs" .... Wellll NO s**t Sherlock. So you give up the guy with the highest batting average on the team .312 with a .423 slugging percentage and 165 hits for the pitcher described above. Just who are you trying to produce runs for ?????? US or the other guys ??????

In his interview, Casey said he knew he was traded because of his salary. Really bad part about that was he would have taken a pay cut with no problem at all to stay with the Reds. Instead, we sign Womak ... I know who's taking his place at first, I'm just looking at who is going and who is coming in ...... Womak last year hit .271. Narron says it's because he's an " NL player " ..... whatever the hell that means. I'll take his word for it, but his best year wth the Cards he hit .307 with 5 HR's.

I don't care how they try to spin this ..... it's just plain bad management. A better player would have taken less money to stay with the team. That's not trying to mprove the team through an upgrade or by saving Money ( they sent 1 mil. along with Casey to Pittsburgh ).

Sign Morris ............ Sign Tejada ( who BADLY wants out of Balt. ) and maybe I'll believe you're trying to improve the team. Till then ... put on the cone shaped hat and go sit in the f**king corner and be quiet.

I'd like 3 volunteers to go with me to Cincy ...... We'll each take an arm and leg of O'Brien ... rip them off and use them to beat Allen to death. It won't save the season, but it'll make all of us feel good and give the fans at least one thing to cheer about.

I'm done now.

Sign those guys and pay 50 bucks for a seat in the nosebleeds and pay 20 bucks for a dog...they'll screw the fans somehow....using that small-market garbage... :sure: