Will the Bengals do better next year?

BengalszoneBilly

Dam Kirk ...... just a little to the dark side today huh ???

The defense was bad no doubt, but you gotta remember that they had just spent several years getting labowed. That'll put anybody in a funk. Actually the linebackers showed flashes .... as did the secondary. The biggest problem for both groups was consistency. They'd play well for a series or even a quarter and then revert to form. Can't have that and Lewis knows it. We'll have to see who we pick up either via the fa market or the draft, and then see how Weathersby et al work out after a year in the new system. Like you said it takes a while to gel. Difference is that this year, we really can look for improvement as opposed to more promises of improvement.

The other area was stopping the run, and we need help. Don't know if it'll come from free agents or draft picks and I don't really care. I also don't think you can dismiss a guys potential contribution to the team just because he is a rookie. After all, there is an award for the defensive rookie of the year ... and they've managed to give it away every year so while the chances of it happening here are remote, its still a possibility.

As to Palmer, it's well documented that you have reservations about him. No one can be sure til we actually see, but I don't think Lewis would set him up to fail. If Lewis didn't think he was ready to start the season, then he wouldn't. He may not .... Lewis has hinted, but he hasn't named the starter and he could surprise all of us and stick with Kitna.

As far as the scedule goes, how many looked at last years and went " OH God " when they saw our regular divisional rivals plus KC and others ?????????? We did pretty good though, and I am very optimistic about doiing the same thing this year Curnuttes naysaying be damned !

Dam Kirk ...... just a little to the dark side today huh ???

Not at all. I'm just trying to make sure everyone doesn't expect a great season. I think the odds still sit on a rebuilding year than a progressive one. I don't want everyone’s hope to be hurt, like the 2002 season when we make great progress in 2001. Just safe guarding against the worst, that's all.

Like you said it takes a while to gel. Difference is that this year, we really can look for improvement as opposed to more promises of improvement.

That's true, but like I've said, I'm too hesitant to believe improvement from last season will be better than last season as a whole. We should have a whole new cast of characters on D, and it's very suspect on what direction the Bengals team will go in acquiring these guys. Damn Lewis has been pretty tight lipped, but Monday we should have a better idea -- 11am Monday Morning Press Conference with Lewis to discuss a broad version of the state and direction of the team.

I also don't think you can dismiss a guys potential contribution to the team just because he is a rookie. After all, there is an award for the defensive rookie of the year ... and they've managed to give it away every year so while the chances of it happening here are remote, its still a possibility.

Potential doesn't mean anything for me. Potentially Klingler was supposed to be the next great QB holding onto every passing record in Houston, supposedly and potentially Simmons was supposed to be the next great thing on D, yet he hasn't even been named to the Pro Bowl.

I don't care for the word, potential, its just another excuse for a free pass when not doing your job. I know a lot of people here fuel on that, and that's fine, its a form of hope. But personally, I want results, not potentials.

As to Palmer, it's well documented that you have reservations about him. No one can be sure til we actually see, but I don't think Lewis would set him up to fail. If Lewis didn't think he was ready to start the season, then he wouldn't. He may not .... Lewis has hinted, but he hasn't named the starter and he could surprise all of us and stick with Kitna.

Yea, not big on Palmer just yet. I need proof on his ability against the best any team has to offer. But the best thing now, if Palmer is to start, is for Lewis to announce Palmer is the starter. Allow him all snaps with the first team in camp, start all preseason games and get him into the thick of things from day one. I don't hate Palmer, I don't think he won't be great, I'm very cautious to think a young unproven guy at any position to proclaim him great. From the evidence that I've seen, Kitna is better than him in all stages; until Palmer plays with the first team against a complete first team defense. -- BTW for any of you that didn't clearly read that last sentance, reread it so you don't get on my ass about me being a Kitna lover, just making a point that Palmer is unproven. SHESH, I hate it when I have to defend myself already.

As far as the scedule goes, how many looked at last years and went " OH God " when they saw our regular divisional rivals plus KC and others ?????????? We did pretty good though, and I am very optimistic about doiing the same thing this year Curnuttes naysaying be damned !

You're right. But we didn't know KC would be undefeated, the AFC North would be god awful, SF would play so bad; so it's always hard to proclaim any schedule before the season begins tough or easy. That's definitely the weakest part of my argument.

BTW - What fun would it be if I wasn't going against the grain? It would be a boring forum, eh? :D

AFC North would be god awful, SF would play so bad; so it's always hard to proclaim any schedule before the season begins tough or easy

I don't think the AFC was too bad. Baltimore played great at times, then unexplicably fell on their collective faces. So did the Bengals, just not as well.

Also 'Frisco did not play THAT poorly, at least not offensively. I think Cincy just really wanted that game a little more, as the high total score attested to.

AFC North would be god awful, SF would play so bad; so it's always hard to proclaim any schedule before the season begins tough or easy

I don't think the AFC was too bad. Baltimore played great at times, then unexplicably fell on their collective faces. So did the Bengals, just not as well.

Also 'Frisco did not play THAT poorly, at least not offensively. I think Cincy just really wanted that game a little more, as the high total score attested to.

I'm not talking about the AFC as a whole. I'm talking about the AFC North that comprised a combined 29-35 record; the worst in the NFL. Regarding SF, after going 10-6 and winning the NFC west last season plus going 12-4 in 2001, going 7-9 is a disappointment.