Interesting DT draft info

derekshank

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Darnell Bing fan for about 3 years now, so He remains my first round selection.

( as you could tell by my signature for the last 267 days. :sure: )

1. Darnell Bing SS, USC / Orien Harris DT Miami, FLA.

2. Ray Edwards DE, Purdue - / Jason Allen CB, Tennessee

3. Johnathan Jolly DT, Texas A&M - / Nate Salley S, Ohio State.

Day one. :bengal:

Glad to see you got the Bengals trading up a spot after they claim the Super Bowl. :D

Bing looks great. A bonafide strong safety who's a wrecker vs. the run and can at the very least man up with TEs given their quality in the North would be an immediate boost for the defense.

I would hold out for Michael Huff and the versaility he brings as an interchangeable safety and slot corner if it looked like there was any remote chance that he'll still be on the board. But it doesn't and there should be a quality although lesser version of Huff available later in the draft.

It'll be interesting to see how the Bengals approach DE and DT in the offseason. The 2003 draft really looked strongest at both positions but the Bengals obviosuly waithed until the 4th to address both positions.

Unlike last year, I would like to see the Bengals draft a DT this year but not until Day 2. I like LeKevin Smith, Anthony Montgomery, and Barry Cofield in that order. If they went with DT in the 3rd, I like Fifita. You got me on Jolly -- I can't remember anything about him from the last time I watched A&M last year.

But Johnny Jolly is one helluva name. :lol:

I've been a Darnell Bing fan for about 3 years now, so He remains my first round selection.

Glad to see you got the Bengals trading up a spot after they claim the Super Bowl. :D

Bing looks great. A bonafide strong safety who's a wrecker vs. the run and can at the very least man up with TEs given their quality in the North would be an immediate boost for the defense.

It'll be interesting to see how the Bengals approach DE and DT in the offseason. The 2003 draft really looked strongest at both positions but the Bengals obviosuly waithed until the 4th to address both positions.

Unlike last year, I would like to see the Bengals draft a DT this year but not until Day 2. I like LeKevin Smith, Anthony Montgomery, and Barry Cofield in that order. If they went with DT in the 3rd, I like Fifita. You got me on Jolly -- I can't remember anything about him from the last time I watched A&M last year.

-- Actually I knew we would be a playoff team this year, but I know we're not strong enough to win it all. But keep hope alive.

-The picture of Bing came from draftx.com and the signature was added the day after the draft last year.

As for getting a DE, or a DT.. we need both. AS you remember Schweiney, I begged and pleaded for Cincy to take some line help in the '04 draft, and most of this board gave me the ( you're not on the In Marvin We trust band wagon ).. fine then. The proof is on the field and not in the pudding ! But for us to make an impact we either got to trade up for an elite guy or we'll have to settle for what falls to us, and that's never a good way to draft, which is why Bing remains my top guy. Most boards ( mock drafts ) have him as a mid 2nd rounder, but that's exactly why he's a Bengal with that late first round pick, cause he won't be there the 2nd time around. Orien Harris and John Jolly are more than serviceable lineman. Harris has some quickness and could play a end in a 3-4, but he's an immediate fix over either Thornton or Robinson.

- If you want some info on Johnathan Jolly, just go back and watch the Texas / Texas A&M game. He was embarrassing Jon Scott and other Texas all americans. He played most of the game in the backfield. Kind or reminds me of Rod Coleman of the Falcons. ( In case you don't remember who he was, he was the official first guy Marvin tried to sign as the New Coach back in '03.

- We have to get three things to come out of this years' draft.

1st. a Safety.

2nd. a DT

3rd. a 'nother cornerback

- DE has to be the priority of the Free Agents we bring in here. John Abraham comes to mind.

Good call, Chris. I agree on all points.

Do you think Jolly would be available in the third? I've been thinking that Jason Allen of Tennesse might be in the second and he has such potential (now in question because of his injury) that we might really get a steal with him there.

On another note, I hope we win the Superbowl, but after these last few, I don't think it's happening. I want to beat Pburg more than anything, but if we don't the bright spot is that we'll be drafting somewhere from 20-24 (and could have a shot at Michael Huff).

As for getting a DE, or a DT.. we need both. AS you remember Schweiney, I begged and pleaded for Cincy to take some line help in the '04 draft, and most of this board gave me the ( you're not on the In Marvin We trust band wagon ).. fine then. The proof is on the field and not in the pudding ! But for us to make an impact we either got to trade up for an elite guy or we'll have to settle for what falls to us, and that's never a good way to draft, which is why Bing remains my top guy. Most boards ( mock drafts ) have him as a mid 2nd rounder, but that's exactly why he's a Bengal with that late first round pick, cause he won't be there the 2nd time around. Orien Harris and John Jolly are more than serviceable lineman. Harris has some quickness and could play a end in a 3-4, but he's an immediate fix over either Thornton or Robinson.

Aye, I remember Schwammie :D

That draft had a bumper crop of Day 1 DTs and DEs and I'm just not seeing anywhere near the talent on the field this year as that class has shown. The talent at DT looks about like last year, which was proly even more meager for 4-3 DTs than this year.

Maybe Johnny Jolly will go to the Senior Bowl? I'd like to check him out for coverage of practices by NFLN and the game too.

Now I have seen Harris but just am not at all impressed that he could make any real difference at DT for the Bengals. While it's true that B-Rob and Thornton could be both upgraded a lot easier than say The Williams Twins, I have seen enough of Shaun Smith to really think that the answer on the line as long as the Bengals continue to scheme their D the way they are is to have the Big Fat A$$ who holds the gap, even by default if need be.

With the DT situation the way it's been since Marvin, I remain doubtful that he'll burn a Day 1 pick on a DT since the DT rotation is the best it's been since he took over and this year's available prospects should get dropped in priority given not only greater team needs but also a wider availablity of best players who are not D-linemen -- not just Round 1 but Day 1 on the whole.

The best DT move of the Marvin Era IMO has been the waiver wire claim of an underachiving New O Saint who liked to cop free cheeseburgers from the media room. Maybe this is the better way to go than free agency or draft?

I like Huff better than Bing. Last year I heard a lot of people saying they wanted another Madieu to line up at the other safety spot and that is exactly what Huff is. The three guys I am hoping for in the first round are (in no particular order) Vernon Davis, Claude Wroten, or Michael Huff. I would be thrilled if one of these guys slipped to us. I think Huff has the best chance of slipping to us because safeties are always over valued on the draft sites.

How many players does it take to get from our currrent 28th ranked defense to a more respectable say 20th.

Although, we lead the league in take aways, where would we be with out them. I would like to see:

DT a freeagent like Hovan and Saftey like Tank Williams

S I like Bing but he has a history of injuries and over the last two year we have had our starting S"s on the Bench. I want to see Kevin K. on the Bench next year and not on the field.

DE Geathers is certainly not the answer at this point.

CB Maybe a tweener someone who could play Saftey as well.

OT I don't like using a starting guard at tackle like last Sunday (you call this rest). We need a good backup tackle and the 06 Draft has some good choices.

TE At this point in the draft 5,6, or 7 maybe a project. I will be surprised if we have don't have a new face at TE in 06.

For some reason we missed out on Corey Simon last year. I hope to see three new free agents this year.

We got the money lets spend it.

NCAA | Police and courts: Claude Wroten

Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:52:33 -0800

Jordan Blum, of the Shreveport Times, reports Louisiana State All-American senior DT Claude Wroten was arrested late Wednesday, Jan. 4, on charges of felony possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. Wroten was pulled over for speeding and was asked if he had anything illegal in the car, to which he admitted having marijuana for personal consumption. Wroten also had $4,000 in his pocket, which he claimed was on loan from his financial adviser to prepare for NFL training.

There ya go guys.....he should fall to us now....lol......what the phuck are these kids thinking?

I am sick of hearing about past injury crap. Look Darnell may have had injuries, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt draft him. Darnell is a big time playmaker that we need. Look at Channing Crowder this year, drafted 3rd round byt the Dolphins although he should of been a late 1st early second, but he was drafted latr becuase of "past" injuries. Look at what he did this year thoguh, he silenced his critics. He is the starting OLB on that good Miami D. He should have been in the running for NFL D rookie of the year

Don't let injuries fool you. I think that if you say oh well he was injured in college his freshamn year so that must mean he is injury prone so don't draft him. Past Injuries can be proven to be nothing to worry about.

Jordan Blum, of the Shreveport Times, reports Louisiana State All-American senior DT Claude Wroten was arrested late Wednesday, Jan. 4, on charges of felony possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. Wroten was pulled over for speeding and was asked if he had anything illegal in the car, to which he admitted having marijuana for personal consumption. Wroten also had $4,000 in his pocket, which he claimed was on loan from his financial adviser to prepare for NFL training.

There ya go guys.....he should fall to us now....lol......what the phuck are these kids thinking?

Wow, that's a bombshell. I had developed much love for Wroten and thought he fit the mold the Bengals were looking for from interior D-lineman.

Damn.

Wow, that's a bombshell. I had developed much love for Wroten and thought he fit the mold the Bengals were looking for from interior D-lineman.

Damn.

Don't let the love for Wroten go just because he had some herb and a roll on him :lol: He's actually given teams better leverage to negotiate with him -- namely staking the signing bonus against off field issues like Luis Castillo did last year.

No doubt he still slides, though, because teams don't like pains in the a$$, especially when they exhibit strokes of true genius like this.

But the most surprising thing about this was that Wroten had maryjuana on him and not an 8-ball considering the way he plays :lol:

Don't let the love for Wroten go just because he had some herb and a roll on him :lol: He's actually given teams better leverage to negotiate with him -- namely staking the signing bonus against off field issues like Luis Castillo did last year.

No doubt he still slides, though, because teams don't like pains in the a$$, especially when they exhibit strokes of true genius like this.

I'm not sure how this one will play out. In my opinion the NFL often gives lip service in regards to draft picks who use steroids. They wag their finger and cast stern fatherly looks, but when it comes time to make a statement the one they actually make is..."Hey, at least it's a performance enhancing drug. That other stuff just makes you sleepy."

Darnell Bings injuries may be behind him and no threat to his overall health.

However, don't forget how much injury problems at Saftey, both sides, weak and strong have hurt the Bengals the last two years. We are starting a second and a third string player today at the position of saftey because of injuries. Ohatey, is not second string player.

The attrition rate for the position seems to be high?

On the other side, Anthony Munoz had a injury concern the Bengals drafted him anyway and the the rest is history.

I'm not sure how this one will play out. In my opinion the NFL often gives lip service in regards to draft picks who use steroids. They wag their finger and cast stern fatherly looks, but when it comes time to make a statement the one they actually make is..."Hey, at least it's a performance enhancing drug. That other stuff just makes you sleepy."

Well that's just the thing...Wroten would be the last of this year's top DTs who I would peg as a stoner because he is relentless. Maybe Brod Bunkley jumps him in the draft as the 1st 3-4 DE but Wroten is still tops to me as a 4-3 DT in terms of ability and potential.

There's still a couple DTs I look forward to seeing -- the Draft Guru's 3rd pick Jonathan Jolly IIRC and Babatunde Oshinowo. Wholeotta Nada and Gabe Watson proly get looked at first as 3-4 NTs but in part given the quality of the position in the draft they should also be at the top of the 4-3 DT list too.

But I'm still liking either Steve Fifita or LeKevin Smith in the 4th. Interestingly Fifita was not invited to the combine, so maybe he'll slide to the last 2 rounds. I'd just like to see the Bengals get a big heavy to go with Shaun Smith at LDT if they're not going to get a DT of Wroten's quality.

But I'm still liking either Steve Fifita or LeKevin Smith in the 4th.

Well, if history holds, you're far more likely to see one of them then, as opposed to someone else earlier. The Bengals haven't drafted a DT in the first 3 rounds since Big Daddy back in '94. (And that was the first time since Emmanuel Weaver back in 1982!). Just for kicks I took a look at drafts since, and from 1995 to 2005, 30 teams took at least one day 1 DT; most took more, the average was 2.6. The only other team not to go DT at least once in that time? The guys we traded Big Daddy to, DC. So in a sense, they did, too.

But I'm still liking either Steve Fifita or LeKevin Smith in the 4th.

Well, if history holds, you're far more likely to see one of them then, as opposed to someone else earlier. The Bengals haven't drafted a DT in the first 3 rounds since Big Daddy back in '94. (And that was the first time since Emmanuel Weaver back in 1982!). Just for kicks I took a look at drafts since, and from 1995 to 2005, 30 teams took at least one day 1 DT; most took more, the average was 2.6. The only other team not to go DT at least once in that time? The guys we traded Big Daddy to, DC. So in a sense, they did, too.

And obivously that hasn't changed under Marvin with a 6th for Langston Moore in 2003 and a 4th for Mathias Askew in 2004.

To note: Both LeKevin Smith (#66) and Steve Fifita (#94) will play for the West in the East West Shirne Game this Saturday Jan. 21 at 4 EDT on ESPN 2. Also set to suit up for that one for the West is Johnny Jolly (#97).

I watched the West DTs closely in the Shrine Game. The rotation mainly put Jolly at RDT with LeKevin Smith at LDT. For some reason, Jolly stunted 4 times. They weren't supposed to call stunts defensively but he did it anyway going way wide and pretty much taking himself out of the play except for the sack he had which was caused by Chris Cogong blasting off the other side and forcing Brett Basanez to run for his life right into Jolly, who was just standing there in space.

Jolly did show shome impressive penetration and got a TFL by blowing up a lineman I believe was Andrew Whitworth. But I thought he took plays off.

LeKevin Smith looked like he plays with better leverage and is more determined in his bullrush but he clearly lacked the ability that Jolly flashed to penetrate into the backfield. Same with Fifita as Smith -- he's a gap DT who's hard to move but his burst of the line isn't great. I would say Fifita is the hardest of the 3 to move.

IMO the Bengals could wait for 1 of these 3 in the 5th and basically take whoever was left without much loss or gain one way or another.