Interesting DT draft info

derekshank

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this guy named Shaun Smith. Get me another one like him.

Shaun Smith is one hard fat a$$ to move...no question. The more he played yesterday, though, the less effective he was rushing the passer when it came up.

Fat a$$ wise the draft list is topped by Ngata (if he enters early) and Watson (who would be a risk early IMO). I would put LeKevin Smith of Nebraska up near the top in the category based on watching him play some vs. Colorado. He's not quite the lard as the other 2 but he looks like he should be able to stay his gap vs. NFL linemen and bullrush well vs. pass.

One DT I wish I had the chance to see was Babatunde Oshinowo of Stanford. And I would've also liked to have seen Steve Fifita of Utah this year. Jonathan Lewis of Va Tech, Kwakou Robinson of UVA, and Gerald Abderson of Ga. all are big fatties but all look more like rookie free agents than Day 2 picks to me.

Food for thought:

This year's draft is not very deep and we really have minimal and very specific needs: 1st round DT, 2nd round SS. Right?

I think that the Bengals move draft picks around to 1) reduce the number of total picks they bring in and 2) to better position themselves for the DT/SS prospects that they want.

I think personnally, that they go after Nagata/Wright/Oshinowo/Fifita with an outside chance at Stanley or Robinson (speculation based on HT/WT) at DT. At SS I think that Bing/Pollard/Blue/Watkins or maybe Iwuh or Page. I also would not rule out Salley from Ohio State based on Browns' love of Ohio St prospects.

I would love to see the Bengals take a DT with both their first and second round like the Bears did a couple of years ago. A big DT like Rod Wrght or Gabe Watson in the first round is a necessity. After round 1 I think he Bengals could use a DT like Kyle Williams of LSU, Orien Harris of Miami, Broderick Bunkley of Forida State, Frostee Rucker of USC, or even Marcus Green of Ohio State (likely a bit high but who know for sure).

• 3 weeks later...

A good battle of the big fat a$$e$ is on tonight at 8 in the Alamo Bowl -- Michigan vs. Nebraska.

#78 Gabe Watson is as big and as fat as they come with about as much upside as down. Does he really want to play football? Maybe we'll see tonight.

#66 LeKevin Smith of Nebraska could stand to gain a big payday if he whips up on the outstanding interior of the Wolverine O-line. I only got a chance to watch him play some vs. Colorado this year and liked what I saw, but he's facing a whole different league of blockers now. There's some proof in the pudding for his taking tonight.

Schweiny.... Starta damn draft website.

No doubt.

Smith in on some plays on the 1st drive...good backside pursuit...trouble getting of blocks, tho...

..game in progress...

If I ever did do some kinda website or another, no doubt Rover D would be laying out some graphics...check out the "Schweinhart" sig he laid on me. Dig it!

LeKevin Smith looks like a bull. I got to the game midway through the 1st but since have seen him line up over center, LDT, RDT, 3-4 RDT wide and get a TFL off great penetration and lateral chase, another tackle for a short gain to keep Hart out of the next level, a bullrush where he threw the RG for a QB hurry, and a triple team he drew on a sack by another Cornhusker. It looks like he plays most of the downs every other series and gets fewer snaps the next one so far. It's kinda a chore distinguishing Smith #66 (yes the same # as Shaun Smith) and #96 Titus Adams, who also has got some power at DT.

Michigan's up 14 to 7 but I'm hoping Nebraska can somehow keep it close to get the most effort out of their defense. With all the action up front, it's hard to switch gears to survey downfield, but #14 for Nebraska is SS Daniel Bullocks.

Love the sig!

1/2-time: Smith has had some good moments: I count a coverage sack, TFL (-2), chasing a WR downfield and making the tackle (10 or so yards), a couple solid assists holidng the RB to a yard or 2 each play. He's getting doubled a lot, even tripled once I saw (same sack on the other side u saw). Hasn't beat any of those. Don't know what his size is but just by ye old TV eyeball he looks light. Given his speed I wonder if he doesn't project out as a DE or even LB?

Watson? He finallly looked like he woke up on the last few snaps of the half but his most memorable play was a facemask penalty in the red zone. Frankly I'm more impressed w/ 80 Branch, who has been in on a couple sacks.

Good game, 14 all at the half.

This Michigan-Nebraska game is the best frontline clash I've seen this bowl season. They are knocking the slop out of each other on both team, on both sides.

Both teams got a nice DT rotation with #80 Alan Branch (So.) for Mich. and #54 Ola Dagunduro (Jr.) for Nebraska getting a lot of PT along with the starters Watson and Pat Massey (Sr.) for Mich. and LeKevin and Titus Adams (Sr.) for Nebraska. All are playing hard and well to this point.

LeKevin is listed on ESPN roster at 6-2/305 but I believe you are right about him looking more on the Tommie Harris side (290 maybe though nowhere near as fast as Harris). That 10 yard gain on the WR you mention was a screen where he came all the way across from LDT to track it down....fairly mobile for a dude that size. The announcers did say he tore his ACL his frosh year but looks no worse for wear.

Big Gabe is a bigtime bullrusher and does look like he's into this one. No question the size and talent are there in spades. I'm looking forward to more slugging it out in the 2nd half. :D

The more I watch LeKevin Smith the more it looks like he proly is closer to 300. It looks like he's got thicker thighs than anyone else on the field except for Big Gabe. Smith is stout and squat, which has worked to his advantage leverage wise, but as the 2nd half went on, he played higher and his bullrush became less effective. It looked to me like he really got winded late into the 3rd Q.

Still, an interesting DT prospect who moves well laterally and in pursuit and holds his own fairly well in the gap vs. the run. Pass rush wise....he's got some bullrush to him but proly not enough to send him over the top as a DT prospect. Maybe overall worth a 4th.

Thanks for the insight. I have to say I gave up late third...gettin' too damn old and miss my bee-you-tee sleep. I agree, Smith was looking heavier in the 3rd...and I did notice he seemed to rotate out quite a bit in the first half. Stamina definitely an issue. Still a good night by Neb.'s line. Watson still did nothing for me...but it's just one game so I'll cut him some slack.

I like this guy named Shaun Smith. Get me another one like him.

Shaun Smith is one hard fat a$$ to move...no question. The more he played yesterday, though, the less effective he was rushing the passer when it came up.

Fat a$$ wise the draft list is topped by Ngata (if he enters early) and Watson (who would be a risk early IMO). I would put LeKevin Smith of Nebraska up near the top in the category based on watching him play some vs. Colorado. He's not quite the lard as the other 2 but he looks like he should be able to stay his gap vs. NFL linemen and bullrush well vs. pass.

One DT I wish I had the chance to see was Babatunde Oshinowo of Stanford. And I would've also liked to have seen Steve Fifita of Utah this year. Jonathan Lewis of Va Tech, Kwakou Robinson of UVA, and Gerald Abderson of Ga. all are big fatties but all look more like rookie free agents than Day 2 picks to me.

ngata is a senior this year

Damn Kaz, you might want to notify the university and tell them to change him from a junior on their football website and maybe ask them to dial up ESPN and tell them to change their bowl game rosters while they're at it....And, definitely, let Ngata know he'll be matriculating earlier than planned. :lol:

But with the draft hype in full swing for the rotund one, he might as well be a senior playing his last game tonight at 8 vs. Oklahoma. The potential for a matchup between him and guard Davin Joseph is getting some ink, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ngata get buried all game long whenever he's got to deal with Joseph. Too much a$$ makes him lopsided -- what's he starts tipping from the side, he might as well be a cow standing up asleep. Tip, tip, tip, plop.

I believe there's another DT worth watching at 4:30 -- Steve Fifita of Utah.

As for big Gabe Watson last night, he drew lots of doubles and pushed through them well but it didn't look like he played much more than 1/4 of the snaps. With more and more 3-4 Ds in the NFL, Gabe ought to get early draft consideration even though how many snaps he'd go a game has to be in doubt.

Damn Kaz, you might want to notify the university and tell them to change him from a junior on their football website and maybe ask them to dial up ESPN and tell them to change their bowl game rosters while they're at it....And, definitely, let Ngata know he'll be matriculating earlier than planned. :lol:

But with the draft hype in full swing for the rotund one, he might as well be a senior playing his last game tonight at 8 vs. Oklahoma. The potential for a matchup between him and guard Davin Joseph is getting some ink, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ngata get buried all game long whenever he's got to deal with Joseph. Too much a$$ makes him lopsided -- what's he starts tipping from the side, he might as well be a cow standing up asleep. Tip, tip, tip, plop.

I believe there's another DT worth watching at 4:30 -- Steve Fifita of Utah.

As for big Gabe Watson last night, he drew lots of doubles and pushed through them well but it didn't look like he played much more than 1/4 of the snaps. With more and more 3-4 Ds in the NFL, Gabe ought to get early draft consideration even though how many snaps he'd go a game has to be in doubt.

mybe I mixxed up my time lines o_O don't follow college football that close could have swore he played his freshmen year, hurt his sophmoore then lastyear was his junior ie what he diden't come out

n/m i was wrong :P mybe him leaving early will let him far too 30ish lol,

though I'm not sure if he comes out this year i remember readinging about him finishishing school something to do with his dad who passed away...but i'm probbley wrong again

After watching the 2nd half of the Oregon-Oklahoma bowl game, I come away with impressions about Haloti Ngata that are not any different than before -- except for a really good bullrsuh Haolti Ngata is pretty much a Wholelata Nada. :lol:

Ngata made one tackle that I saw, and although it was a good one where he shed a single block, it also showed where his primary weakness is -- he has terrible balance. If he didn't grab the blocker and use him as a counterweight to change the direction his big a$$ was moving, he doesn't make the play. All a blocker has to do if Ngata does anything other than hold ground or bullrush is get him at an angle and push wherever they want him to go because Ngata can't stop his own momentum. He plays with zero leverage and way too high -- except for when he lines up man to man and drives dead ahead without trying to move laterally whatsoever.

If Ngata does come out, 3-4 teams will like his bullrush and the space he takes up. But they'll look long and hard IMO at what he can't do or just doesn't do. Another thing I don't get with Ngata is why he spins off of the line so much and drops back 5 to 10 yards downfield. If that's the scheme, it's ridiculous -- he lacks any speed to do anything positive from the position and exposes himself to cut blocks like the one that ended the game for him from a hyperextended knee.

Steve Fifita of Utah is a different story. He's listed at 6-0/322, which is much shorter than Ngata and proly at least 25 pounds less. The difference between the 2 is leverage. In watching the 1st half of the Georgia Tech-Utah game yesterday, Fifita plays with great leverage and it enables him to do key things that Ngata just doesn't seem to be able to do -- namely move laterally and fight off blocks at an angle. Add that with his still considerable "fat a$$" size and you get a DT prospect in Fifita who gets a lot of penetration, holds his ground in a gap, and is athletic enough for a player that big to actually make plays with backside pursuit and after shedding blocks.

If the Bengals go the route of a 320+ lb. gap DT, I'd rather see them take Fifita than Ngata.

If you've got the time, they got the Bowl games today (Dec. 30) and there's a handful of DT prospects worth watching.

The best game for this is tonight at 7:30 on ESPN LSU-Miami.

LSU: Claude Wroten #98 and Kyle Williams #95

Miami: Orien Harris # 92

Also, at noon on ESPN Minnesota-Virginia

Gophers: Anthony Montgomery #95

Virginia: Kwakou Robinson #98

And at 2 on CBS for Northwestern-UCLA, #67 Barry Cofield for Northwestern.

I would love to get Claude Wroten.

After watching the LSU skull crushing of Miami last night, it doesn't seem to me like there will be much question left that Claude Wroten is a great NFL prospect and a 1st round choice. The question will be which team will value him the most based on the position he'll fit in their scheme.

Wroten looks better to me than Travis Johnson did last year and it looks like Wroten is ideal for a 3-4 DE. This guy has the amazing short area quickness and moves to make blockers struggle against him. He'll thrive from more open space to work in than a 4-3.

But Wroten is also really strong, attacks the line with his balance in tact and takes every play likes it's a brawl. Even though ESPN lists him at only 290 lbs -- and that's about what he looks like -- he would also fit nicely for a 4-3 team that stunts a lot.

And for a 4-3 team like the Bengals that now largely relies on a straight push of a 4-man front for both run and pass, Wroten would be upgrade at RDT in passing situations and within a year or 2 should further fill out his frame to be the size he would need to be to challenge John Thornton for the starting job. But Wroten is not what the Bengals seems like they truly need at LDT -- another big fatty of Shaun Smith ilk.

I've been a Darnell Bing fan for about 3 years now, so He remains my first round selection.

( as you could tell by my signature for the last 267 days. :sure: )

1. Darnell Bing SS, USC / Orien Harris DT Miami, FLA.

2. Ray Edwards DE, Purdue - / Jason Allen CB, Tennessee

3. Johnathan Jolly DT, Texas A&M - / Nate Salley S, Ohio State.

Day one. :bengal: