Interesting DT draft info

derekshank

Since most of us are pro-DT in this year's draft, I was looking for a site that gave me the most info for free. I found http://www.nfldraftblitz.com They have 4 DT's going in the first round, ad have us taking the last one with the 29th pick (that means they are projecting us to the AFC championship game!). Anyway... the info they gave on the 4 DT's was interesting, so I thought I'd share some of it.

Ngata (Oregon) with the 5th pick... (He's going to go way too early for us... sorry Kazkal)

Ngata is a very athletic and powerful defensive tackle prospect. He will be comfortable as a NT in the 3-4 or as a DT in the 4-3. He had a very slow start to his career, battling for starting time with other very talented defensive tackles, but has really taken off this season. He’s recorded 54 tackles (9 for loss) as well as 3 sacks. He does everything the team asks him to in order to contribute, and always remembers to get his hands up for deflections.

Wroten (LSU) with the 15th pick,

Wroten from Bastrop, Mississippi is a huge presence in the middle of the defensive line. At 6’3” 293lbs, he is strong enough to defend the run, yet still has the agility and speed to get to the QB. He has potential to be a very disruptive defensive tackle at the next level, and he’s been playing above the competition all season long.

Mahelona (Ten) with the 28th pick (my personal favorite for us to possibly get)

Mahelona is just a hair over 300 pounds to date, and he utilizes his strength well. He’s a great interior rusher. There’ve been no real questions as to his durability or his strength, but it seems as if he will fall due to a lack of true team needs in the first round. The defensive tackle position hasn’t had its strongest class, but guys like this help to gain notoriety for their position.

Wright (Texas) with the Bengals 29th pick

Wright has been living, pretty much, on his reputation for the last two seasons. Whether he’s under the impression that he can slide through and still end up in the NFL, or if his on the field inconsistency is a bi-product of his style of play, his stock is slipping. On the other hand, he does have all kinds of physical potential. And he is a very athletic and very fast defensive tackle. Which he’s proven that with a 67-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown, and 11 tackles for loss. The biggest concern, however, is his technique. He has all this special athletic ability, yet can’t seem to get to the QB (3.5 sacks). (Sounds to me like another Askew.. WARNING-WARNING!!!)

Also... a couple notable 1st round safeties that we could look into:

Michael Huff (Texas) is a former CB who is now playing safety. That being said, he’s also one of the most underrated tacklers in the NCAA. Currently, he’s 2nd on his team with 82 total tackles, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble, and 2 fumble recoveries. He’s played extremely well this year, and though he’s not gotten much media attention, he’s well worth a first round pick. The only concerns surrounding him are his size, strength, and ability to tackle guys like Jeremy Shockey and Todd Heap.

Jimmy Williams (V Tech) is a physically imposing player, and he’s got experience starting at both safety as well as corner back. His natural position in the NFL will be as a safety. His statistics have not really reflected the type of player he is, but it’s doubtful that too many NFL scouts will fail to see the physical talent that he exhibits. He’s underrated in straight-line speed, and he will probably surprise a lot of people come time for his pro day. (Sounds great!!! but will probably go too early)

And for all of you OSU fans:

Bobby Carpenter is a very interesting, yet somewhat confusing LB prospect. I say confusing, because I’ve never seen an OLB who is built so sturdy, and has such an imposing physique, yet he’s gotten after the QB for 8 sacks for a loss of a ridiculous 65 yards! At 6’3” and 255 pounds, the only question about Bobby is how long does it take him to digest an NFL playbook?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since most of us are pro-DT in this year's draft, I was looking for a site that gave me the most info for free. I found http://www.nfldraftblitz.com They have 4 DT's going in the first round, ad have us taking the last one with the 29th pick (that means they are projecting us to the AFC championship game!). Anyway... the info they gave on the 4 DT's was interesting, so I thought I'd share some of it.

Ngata (Oregon) with the 5th pick... (He's going to go way too early for us... sorry Kazkal)

Ngata is a very athletic and powerful defensive tackle prospect. He will be comfortable as a NT in the 3-4 or as a DT in the 4-3. He had a very slow start to his career, battling for starting time with other very talented defensive tackles, but has really taken off this season. He’s recorded 54 tackles (9 for loss) as well as 3 sacks. He does everything the team asks him to in order to contribute, and always remembers to get his hands up for deflections.

Wroten (LSU) with the 15th pick,

Wroten from Bastrop, Mississippi is a huge presence in the middle of the defensive line. At 6’3” 293lbs, he is strong enough to defend the run, yet still has the agility and speed to get to the QB. He has potential to be a very disruptive defensive tackle at the next level, and he’s been playing above the competition all season long.

Mahelona (Ten) with the 28th pick (my personal favorite for us to possibly get)

Mahelona is just a hair over 300 pounds to date, and he utilizes his strength well. He’s a great interior rusher. There’ve been no real questions as to his durability or his strength, but it seems as if he will fall due to a lack of true team needs in the first round. The defensive tackle position hasn’t had its strongest class, but guys like this help to gain notoriety for their position.

Wright (Texas) with the Bengals 29th pick

Wright has been living, pretty much, on his reputation for the last two seasons. Whether he’s under the impression that he can slide through and still end up in the NFL, or if his on the field inconsistency is a bi-product of his style of play, his stock is slipping. On the other hand, he does have all kinds of physical potential. And he is a very athletic and very fast defensive tackle. Which he’s proven that with a 67-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown, and 11 tackles for loss. The biggest concern, however, is his technique. He has all this special athletic ability, yet can’t seem to get to the QB (3.5 sacks). (Sounds to me like another Askew.. WARNING-WARNING!!!)

Also... a couple notable 1st round safeties that we could look into:

Michael Huff (Texas) is a former CB who is now playing safety. That being said, he’s also one of the most underrated tacklers in the NCAA. Currently, he’s 2nd on his team with 82 total tackles, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble, and 2 fumble recoveries. He’s played extremely well this year, and though he’s not gotten much media attention, he’s well worth a first round pick. The only concerns surrounding him are his size, strength, and ability to tackle guys like Jeremy Shockey and Todd Heap.

Jimmy Williams (V Tech) is a physically imposing player, and he’s got experience starting at both safety as well as corner back. His natural position in the NFL will be as a safety. His statistics have not really reflected the type of player he is, but it’s doubtful that too many NFL scouts will fail to see the physical talent that he exhibits. He’s underrated in straight-line speed, and he will probably surprise a lot of people come time for his pro day. (Sounds great!!! but will probably go too early)

And for all of you OSU fans:

Bobby Carpenter is a very interesting, yet somewhat confusing LB prospect. I say confusing, because I’ve never seen an OLB who is built so sturdy, and has such an imposing physique, yet he’s gotten after the QB for 8 sacks for a loss of a ridiculous 65 yards! At 6’3” and 255 pounds, the only question about Bobby is how long does it take him to digest an NFL playbook?

To Carpenter, he is more of a DE on 3rd down for the Bucks. He is a great 3-4 guy. Teams in the 4-3 may pass, or try and put him at DE.

alot of mock drafts i saw wright going before ngata and like 3-4 DT's before ngata :P I hope thats true :P people are saying he hasen't done much this year stat wise :P but he's always double teamed and even at times has drawn tripple teams.

You, Mr. Kazkal, are the master of the :P .

Rock 'n' roll. B)

Rod Wrights stock has slipped because he's a slacker... He doesnt give all out the whole game...

Jesse Mahalona stock is rising because he does what Wright was supposed to do and thats be productive for 60 minutes...

Huff and Willimas wont be on the board when the team drafts..

Carpenter isnt what the team needs in the first round.. he also broke his ankle and that may set his value back until the combine....

I want the the Bengals to take one of two options.

1. Michael Huff

2. Gabe Watson

or

1. Rodrique Wright

2. Jahmile Addae

or find a way to get Mercedes Lewis in the first, a D tackle in the second, and maybe Addae will fall to us in the third.

Tressel said Carpenter's ankle was the best spot you could break an ankle and they think he'll play if they have a january bowl. he should be 100% come combine time.

Rod Wright reminds me of Ryan Sims in KC. Great talent, great skills, but isn't passionate about his football. Those guys usually don't work out in the NFL.

I really hope we get to see Askew today

Yeah, Carpenter's injury didn't look all too serious, so I expect him to be fine come combine time, and hopefully bowl time. The thing I love about Hawk (who won't be there) and Carpenter is that they play with heart and go 100% every play. Just because the Bengals have good LBs now doesn't mean they couldn't use another.

Man, it's way too early for me. Let's finish this season before we start talking draft already. All the speculation, guessing, wishing, and outright fantasizing get's to be outlandish at times! :(

I personally like talking the draft almost anytime. Everything we talk on this board is speculation. It's the nature of a sports forum.

I guess I was interested in ttalking the draft this week because we just came off a week against the Colts, looking toward a lackluster game against the Ravens before the Steelers game.

I don't expect too much draft talk this week, because of the big Pittsburgh game... but against the Browns, Bills, and Lions... it will be fun to speculate about the draft.

Does it get outlandish? Yep... but no more outlandish than this board gets around June when we haven't heard a single interesting news fact about the Bengals in over a month.

Williams has definitely got the fire and looks like a Day 1 pick. But from what I've seen he benefits alot from the double teams Wroten draws. Still, Williams is a force in his own right and would fit the Bengals well.

Wroten is relentless, powerful, and quick. But it's not sounding like he'll last past the 20th pick. Mike Mayock's got him as the top DT in the draft -- at least of seniors.