#3 QB

duus

Just wondering ... does anyone know the official NFL rule on the use the #3 QB? I believe it is something along the lines of if the guy designated the #3 QB enters the game prior to the 4th quarter, he has to stay in the game. Well, in anticipating the Steelers/Ravens game this weekend, I wonder how that will work? You see, I'm guessing either Randle El or Roethlisburger will be the #3 guy. Let's just pretend for a second that El is the #3, yet takes a snap or two at QB in the 3rd quarter. Is he forced to stay in at that point? Does this all hinge upon who is officially 'designated' as the #3 guy? If so, why would a team like the Steelers not even designate such a guy? Why would they simply have no #3 and just bring in El when they need him? What about last week against the Browns where El took a direct snap? Perhaps that is negated because Maddox was in the game at the same time? I would simply love to know the official rule on this. Heck, I honestly don't even know why such a rule is out there to begin with.

No he doesn't have to stay in. That is maybe the dumbest question I have ever heard. What if he gets hurt? Does that mean they have to play without a QB? Randel El can take a snap here and there during the game and still have another QB in the game. I think that Randel El taking snaps is scary and it might give Cower more ideas to use him like this more often.

No he doesn't have to stay in. That is maybe the dumbest question I have ever heard. What if he gets hurt? Does that mean they have to play without a QB? Randel El can take a snap here and there during the game and still have another QB in the game. I think that Randel El taking snaps is scary and it might give Cower more ideas to use him like this more often.

Geez, dude, chill a bit, would ya? My point was that I DO KNOW that the 3rd QB rule does say something to the affect that once he is used prior to the 4th qtr, then the other guys cannot come in. Duh ... I didn't mean to say that the #3 guy had to stay in ... that was my mistake. But there is some strange twist to this rule, and that is what I am trying to discover. No reason to be overly rude ... it's an honest and sincere question.

Just wondering ... does anyone know the official NFL rule on the use the #3 QB? I believe it is something along the lines of if the guy designated the #3 QB enters the game prior to the 4th quarter, he has to stay in the game. Well, in anticipating the Steelers/Ravens game this weekend, I wonder how that will work? You see, I'm guessing either Randle El or Roethlisburger will be the #3 guy. Let's just pretend for a second that El is the #3, yet takes a snap or two at QB in the 3rd quarter. Is he forced to stay in at that point? Does this all hinge upon who is officially 'designated' as the #3 guy? If so, why would a team like the Steelers not even designate such a guy? Why would they simply have no #3 and just bring in El when they need him? What about last week against the Browns where El took a direct snap? Perhaps that is negated because Maddox was in the game at the same time? I would simply love to know the official rule on this. Heck, I honestly don't even know why such a rule is out there to begin with.

Damn the Dayton guy is right...what the hell are you on?

Ugh. Look ... I surely made a mistake in my words in saying that the number 3 guy "had to stay in". That's ridiculous and is not what I was thinking. What I was thinking was that the number 1 and 2 could not come back in. That's the heart of my question. Is this rule somehow tied to who is 'designated' as the number 3 guy, or what? That's what I am trying to discern. Can folks give me a rule definition, or just tear apart my poor wording. I surely wasn't good at asking the question in the right way ... sorry guys! But seriously, give me a pass here, and help me to better understand the rule. ?

I found this on some 'official rule questions' site:

Each team is allowed to dress 45 players for each game, plus, a 46th man, providing he is designated as the third quarterback only. If this third quarterback enters the game during the first, second or third quarter, the first and second string quarterbacks are not allowed to return for the rest of the game. If the third quarterback enters during the fourth quarter, the other two quarterbacks may return to the game. This is a special rule that was put in about 10 years ago, and gives each team an insurance policy for quarterback injury.

To me, this sounds like if a team uses the 46th man as the 3rd qb, and for one reason or another, uses him prior to the 4th quarter, then the other 2 qb's may not return for the entire game. This was pretty much my question, and I believe it answers it. In the end, it appears to come down to whether or not the team uses this 46th man (3rd qb) or not. My suspicion would be that in the scenario I mentioned, the Steelers simply WOULD NOT have the 46th man, but would simply USE El as the 3rd qb. That way they have no worries should Maddox get injured and they don't want Ben to come in without a viable replacement. Confusing, but I'm hoping folks see the heart of my questioning.

What a stupid rule. I don't like that. Cheers for clearing it up for us, duus. You're right on Randel El too. He'd never be designated as 3rd QB though in games we've gone into games with only two QB's (that's how we started the season last year when we cut Batch until Maddox was injured) and ARE was there in case of an emergency.