Daytona 500

BengalszoneBilly

I realize besides kevnz, there are few racing fans at this forum. If you want to give it a try, well no day is better than today with the Daytona 500! This is the ONLY sport (yes, it is a sport!) that begins it's season with it's Super Bowl! The ultimate kickoff to a season that any sport can boast.

Honestly to really enjoy it, you gotta know the drivers, and their personalities, and translate that to what happens on the track. There are some hot headed drivers like Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick who have personalities like Ray Lewis. Those personalities are extremely evident in their driving styles. Conversely there are the cats that are calm, cool, and determined, like the Bengals Willie Anderson. Nothing pisses them off greatly, like my favorite Mark Martin, and kevnz favorite Dale Jarrett.

Like I said, if you want to give the race game a try, no day is better than today! B)

I think I have a dentist appointment today. At least it would be more interesting to have drill painfully crushing the ends of my teeth.. woo hoo... :lol::lol:

Okay Josh, maybe not you. :lol: Funny excuse though. You know I feel the same way about hockey, and arena league football...uh, I gotta clean my cat's box and re-arrange my sock drawer! :P

You know what, no one here has even mentioned soccer. Wierd. The whole rest of this planet is soccer crazy, yet our country remains blase' about it. Probably because they are both called "football' in our respective countries, but here football only mean puttin' on the pads, and hitting someone. The difference between the two sports to me remains in OUR type of football, the violence takes place on the field, whereas in Europe, it in the stands. Go figure where the emotional release is best displayed, eh? B)

s**t! How did I get so off my own damn topic? :P

s**t! How did I get so off my own damn topic? 

You do that a lot.. You're the man when it comes to changing subjects like a politician.

Regarding Soccer - I think it's the fact we have so many other sports and most nations only have soccer as their sport. Not sure why that is, but I'm guessing its prevalent around the world and cheap to play. Hell, that's all they know. We know better. Anytime you play a sport where you can't use your hands, well it's just not American, is it? :D

Enjoy your cars going around in circles; this is NASCARs day... I'm watching Superman 3 today... LOL

Anytime you play a sport where you can't use your hands, well it's just not American, is it? :D

Enjoy your cars going around in circles; this is NASCARs day... I'm watching Superman 3 today... LOL

You are so right. It's too frustrating not to use your hands! The only position I can identify with is goal keeper. I am trying, with the help of my British friend, to get into soccer. America's Soccer team did well in the last World Cup, and I'll be rooting them on agin next time!

Now, back to topic, the pace car has pulled off, the green flag is out, and it's Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, baby!!

See you guy after the race!! :)

You know what, no one here has even mentioned soccer. Wierd. The whole rest of this planet is soccer crazy, yet our country remains blase' about it. Probably because they are both called "football' in our respective countries, but here football only mean puttin' on the pads, and hitting someone. The difference between the two sports to me remains in OUR type of football, the violence takes place on the field, whereas in Europe, it in the stands. Go figure where the emotional release is best displayed, eh? B)

s**t! How did I get so off my own damn topic? :P

Actually, it's not the whole world...Mainly Europe and Latin America. I know more people here in NZ that like gridiron(football) over soccer...Of course Rugby is the national sport in NZ...In Australia it's Rugby League....Soccer has about as much cred as it does in the states....Probably less.....Now Rugby, that's a violent sport ...I love it :D

Man they stomp on peoples heads in that game....Players have cauliflower ears and are proud about it.... :blink:

But back to Daytona 500....As much as I love it...If you want to get a true enjoyable race you need to watch Richmond/Martinsville/Bristol/Rockingham.....Now those are race tracks....and all within a 3 hour drive for me back home....Damn do I miss home :(

Bristol!! That track needs 5 races a year!!! :ph34r:

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!

Bristol is the most amazing race, and track for that matter, tucked away in the middle of nowhere and can still pull in 100k people, and if you doubled the capacity they'd still sell out.

DAMNIT....Why the hell did Earnhardt have to win the 500...ugh..... :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Bristol!! That track needs 5 races a year!!!  :ph34r:

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!

Bristol is the most amazing race, and track for that matter, tucked away in the middle of nowhere and can still pull in 100k people, and if you doubled the capacity they'd still sell out.

DAMNIT....Why the hell did Earnhardt have to win the 500...ugh..... :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Because DEI still has the best restrictor plate (For you non-mech tech types, a restrictor plate limits the amount of air an engine can operate with. To put it in"geek" terms, it's putting the performance of a Pentium 4 versus a AMD's best chip in a game platform test out there. One might win here, but apply other programs, and you get different results.)

I kinda had a feeling DEI would prevail here. I'm also SOOO glad Micheal Waltrip walked away from that horrifying crash he had. Please...No more deaths!!

No more deaths!! When the last time a football player had to wish for this simple fact, eh? So who's the tough guys now!?! B)

Because DEI still has the best restrictor plate (For you non-mech tech types, a restrictor plate limits the amount of air an engine can operate with. To put it in"geek" terms, it's putting the performance of a Pentium 4 versus a AMD's best chip in a game platform test out there. One might win here, but apply other programs, and you get different results.)

Well, I'm sorry, but when you pass people without the help of the draft at Daytona I smell a rat...I honestly believe that If you took apart Juniors engine you'd find something NASCAR wouldn't want you to find...I know DEI is good at Restrictor plate races...But I also know NASCAR ain't beyond bending their own rules for certain people, they always have and probably always will....Junior would be one of those people....

Well, I'm sorry, but when you pass people without the help of the draft at Daytona I smell a rat...I honestly believe that If you took apart Juniors engine you'd find something NASCAR wouldn't want you to find...I know DEI is good at Restrictor plate races...But I also know NASCAR ain't beyond bending their own rules for certain people, they always have and probably always will....Junior would be one of those people....

Well I'm not so sure kevnz. If there was any inkling of cheating, I think Jack Roush and Robert Yates would be the first ones to be screaming about it. Just like Jack did a few years ago about Jeff Gordon, and sandbagging in races until the end, then he'd kick it up a notch and win going away.

We'll know for sure how this season will go once we get a couple of non plate races behind us. Right now I'm kinda concerned about the engine failures experienced by the Roush team and their Roush/Yates power plants. I'm sure there is a little pucker factor being felt in the engine shop today!

Yeah, but as soon as anyone says anything, there drivers get "caught" speeding on pit road and take a penalty...NASCAR runs the show with an iron fist that makes every other pro sport look weak. Owners and drivers wil only take things but so far. I'm not saying he did, but I ain't saying he didn't either.

As for those engine failures, it could just be a bad batch of parts that were in the engines...$5 part kills a $50,000 engine...Restrictor plate racing is hell on an engine....But, if the same sorta thing happens at Rockingham...then uh-oh...

NASCAR runs the show with an iron fist that makes every other pro sport look weak.

You can say that again! If baseball was run like Nascar, there would be no drug problem, nor would there be such great inequities in teams between the haves and the have nots! I hope someone in the baseball commissioners office is paying attention to how it should be done, but I suspect they're not. :(

Alright, alright alright. Having been subject to NFL-less Sunday's, I gave NASCAR a shot. And I have to admit, it was a little fun; but I noticed the most exciting time was the beginning of the race and it really went down hill from there. Since I really don't have someone to cheer for, is that a possible problem with my lack of interest? It would seem that's the culprit during the latter stages of the race.

I gave NASCAR a shot. And I have to admit, it was a little fun; but I noticed the most exciting time was the beginning of the race and it really went down hill from there. Since I really don't have someone to cheer for, is that a possible problem with my lack of interest? It would seem that's the culprit during the latter stages of the race.

Stop the freakin' presses!! New headlines for tomorrows Enquirrer...

Josh Kirkendall views the Daytona 500!! Determines it doesn't totally suck!! :lol:

Well you've impressed me Mr. Kirkendall, and you are absolutely right about the race being boring just watching cars go round and round. You have to identify with who's driving the cars that are running. Once you do, you'll always be a fan of some sort of the sport.

Currently it stands at #2 in viewership. Wheather or not it ever catches #1, the NFL, remains to be seen. I'll be happy either way! :)

I don't watch nascar much but I did watch the 500 and found I could not help cheering for Jr to win because of his father's death. I was a good race I thought. Not a lot of wrecks and great late race activity with Jr passing Stewart and then holding him off.

He's probably the sports most popular driver, and his fathers untimely death there a couple years ago only helps him in Daytona. B)

I don't watch nascar much but I did watch the 500 and found I could not help cheering for Jr to win because of his father's death. I was a good race I thought. Not a lot of wrecks and great late race activity with Jr passing Stewart and then holding him off.

I'm with you.. I was cheering more for Jr., but I really like Stewart too. I think its mainstream to hate Gordon, right Billy?

I'm with you.. I was cheering more for Jr., but I really like Stewart too. I think its mainstream to hate Gordon, right Billy?

True, it is, and has been the popular position for years to dislike Jeff Gordon. I personally hate no one. (Boy, that just don't sound right coming from a man in my position, now does it?) I just like some more than others. B)