top safety prospects

CBin2k7

I know its early and we are still thinking about this season, but I read the main forums and everyone seems to think we are in need of an upgrade at the SS position.

It seems the Bengals have been successful tapping Georgia products on Defense, well there is another player on this year's Georgia D that impresses me.

Greg Blue 6-2,220, 4.4 he can play FS and SS, very good in run support. He is decent in pass coverage, I actually think he is better than Thomas Davis was last year.

His stock is rising, right now he is projected as a 2nd round pick.

Also keep an eye on Laron Landry from LSU and everybody knows about Darnell Bing from USC

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's never too early for starting draft talk. i love to scout college players during the season.

I think Marv and Co. have shown a real ability to find db talent especially in later rounds in the draft (Madieu was the 10th rated safety on a lot of boards), so it's safe to say we can get someone who will be very good in round 2. I didin't know Blue had that kind of speed.

I would also like a DT or a DE in Rnd one, especially if our defensive scheme is going to be about creating pressure with four man fronts and no blitzing.

Of course, I'd also like a premier tackle, a Mercedes Lewis-type tight end and on and on...

I don't know about a run stuffer in the first round, though I wouldn't be sad if they went with one. It just seems that RBs are killing the Bengals more on the bounce outside than up the middle. Also, I would really love for the Bengals to pick up Salley with the last pick in the second round, because he is just about as ball hawk as you can get.

I want a strong safety in round one, but all the worthy options might be gone when we pick. If so, I'll take a defensive tackle. There will be pleny of those to pick from. My draft prediction looks like this:

1.) Strong Safety

2.) Defensive Tackle

3.) Offensive Tackle

4.) Defensive End

5.) Tight End

6.) Guard

7.) Free Safety

I like Michael Huff from Texas.

Huff is pretty much the same size as Madieu and brings that same cover corner skill to safety, plus the hard hit. I'd be surprised to see a safety picked that isn't unquestionably interchangeable.

A safety group of Madieu, Huff, K2, and Ohalete would be a solid one.

The DT draft class for Day 1 looks pretty weak. I just watched Mike Mayock call Claude Wroten the best DT in the draft -- but most likely as a 3-4 DE. Second on his list was the squat Jonathan Lewis from Va Tech followed by the quick Brodrick Bunkley. Mayock said Gabe Watson and Rod Wright have both jeopardized their 1st round status due to their poor play so far this year.

I'd like to see LeKevin Smith of Nebraska but ones I've watched this year who I like are Jesse Mahelona of Tennessee, Anthony Montgomery of Minnesota, and Barry Cofield of Northwestern. A couple of possible early entries who look good are Johnny McCargo of NC State and Deljuan Robinson of Mississippi St.

first of all there is no way erine simd is switched to safety he is a pure LB... second gabe watson is put of the first and maybe eeven the second but there is no way rod wright slips out of the first he has way to much potenial i wouldn't be surprized if we took him in late round 1 but i would prefer maholna of the volunteers...but i really want mike huff who is a madieu clone or darnell bing in the first

Rod Wright does look the part. The rap was mainly how straight he plays and questions about his desire. But no question the talent is there.

But Mahelona has got the drive. Not sure he isn't better suited at DE in a 3-4 though.

Overall, the Bengals have addressed DT enough to get by w/ BRob, Shaun Smith, and Thornton, who are all signed through 2006. They make a solid nucleus of true DTs w/ the DE/DTs playing situationally or by need. An upgrade of true DT is always something to look at -- like Corey Simon was (at least for Palmer and Marvin)

I like Huff a lot and look forward to watching what he does vs. Tex Tech air assault if I can.

Trevis Coley of Southern Miss was impressive last year and looks even fiercer this year in game vs. UAB. He could be a Day 1 and definitely fits the interchangeable bill at safety.

BengalsLB - Ernie Sims is a football player. We have a lot invested at linebacker and an excuse to get him on the team is worth a switch to SS.

I'd be surprised if Sims enters early given the solid group of weakside backers in this year's draft.

But if he does the Bengals shouldn't need an excuse to draft him because they should have WSLB pretty high on their list IMO. Simmons is getting aged and both of Landon's shoulders are likely to be ongoing issues with him. Until Caleb Miller gets back (if he sticks off PUP), Marcus Wilkins is next on the depth chart and putting him in at that position would be disastrous. And even then Miller didn't look like much in that position.

It will be interesting to see how often the Bengals D aligns in a 4-4-3 because the more that happens the more they'll need a LB w/ deeper coverage skills, like Landon or Sims.

This year's draft is loaded w/ solid cover LBs with the likes of AJ Hawk (OSU), Chad Greenway (Iowa), Bobby Carpenter (OSU), Demeco Ryans (Bama), Thomas Howard (UTEP), Gerris Wilkerson (Ga Tech), Moses Osemwegie (Vandy), and AJ Nicholson (Fla St.), Plus, I'd like to see Spencer Havner (UCLA) this year and have one more look at Terna Nande (Miami O).

There's also a couple intriguing safety prospects who are bordering LB size like Greg Blue (UGA) and Trevis Coley (Southern Miss) among a few others who have a chance to rise in the draft if their times are good and their cover skills are deemed good enough for the next level at safety. Both Blue and Coley are cold-blooded hitters of NFL caiber.

• 2 weeks later...

West Virginia play U Conn tonight at 7:30 on ESPN 2.

Not exactly the stiffest comp, but should provide ample ops to watch Addae in coverage if U Conn falls behind fast.

Just heard Mike Mayock run through his list of safety prospects. Michael Huff is still his choice for the most likely one whose got a shot at Round 1. The clinic Huff gave of how well he can cover slot WR in man all day long like he did vs. Texas Tech does nothing but help solidify his chances.

Mayock had Jason Allen 2nd but noted the hip injury that ended his season won't help him. Then he had Pat Watkins, who he likes for his range as centerfielder but questioned his strength vs. run followed by Greg Blue who he's got as a solid 2nd rounder. He rounded out w/ Marcus Demps, Daniel Bullocks, and an LB sized safety in Brian Iwuh of Colorado.

Not much to tell about Addae from the 1st half of that game.

U Conn was absolutely helpless on offense. Everything was either a 3 and out or TO.

Addae got to swarm a couple times, but it looked like he was camped out in centerfield. That game was 35-3 at the half.

There'll be more ops to watch him do his thing, though. I did read where he had shoulder surgery for a medical redshirt in his original junior year. Not sure that makes any difference for draft.

After watching a few games on the week of November 12, I have a few observations.

Greg Blue is not all he's cracked up to be. He can lay the wood, but putting him at strong safety would handcuff us and prevent us from being to use a Cover 2, or much man to man for that matter. Forget about him, his not right for this team.

On Thursday night, I watched Jahmile Addae of West Virginia. He seemed to disappear at times, but he was a ball hawk who seemed run a lot of plays down. He's a big thick guy, and he caused a fumble in the game. He's definately a good tackler, and he doesn't have problems in coverage.

Another player that caught my eye in the game was Eric Wicks. He was the strong safety for WV. He made a lot of plays in the game.

Forget Pat Watkins of FSU. He's a pure free safety who is so tall and lanky that he has trouble changing directions and breaking on balls. Plus we don't need a pure free safety.

I know everyone likes Darnell Bing, but I honestly believe that LaRon Landry is the best safety in the country. He is a great blitzer, and anyone who watched the the game remembers the hit he put on Brodie Croyle. His tackling ability amazed me. 'Bama had a 255 lb. fullback that was running over linebackers, and Landry - the free safety - bodied him up and put him on his back. Another time 'Bama's tailback tried to outrun him to the corner, and LL cut him off and threw him down like a hog in a pig sty. He also, consitsently, bailed out his teammates in coverage. He got called for pass interference once, but he could have made the play without the interference, and he can be taught not to do that. All in all I'd say he saved about 3 TDs in the game, either in coverage or by making great tackles.

Marvin, if your listening...

SIGN LANDRY UP!

I say if aj hawk is there when we pick you have to take him he is the best defensive player in the draft if they pass on him i will be very pissed . nate sally has great size 6-3 215 and can play the pass as well as the run . i would rather have a good d tackle with a round 2 pick .but marvin knows what he is doing when it comes to the draft . and i don't think marvin would pass on a player like aj hawk.

I say if aj hawk is there when we pick you have to take him he is the best defensive player in the draft if they pass on him i will be very pissed . nate sally has great size 6-3 215 and can play the pass as well as the run . i would rather have a good d tackle with a round 2 pick .but marvin knows what he is doing when it comes to the draft . and i don't think marvin would pass on a player like aj hawk.

If A.J. Hawk is available when we pick, then it is either because of a catostrophic collapse this season, or because he gets injured badly before the draft. Even if he is available, I don't want him, we have more pressing needs.

After watching a few games on the week of November 12, I have a few observations.

Greg Blue is not all he's cracked up to be. He can lay the wood, but putting him at strong safety would handcuff us and prevent us from being to use a Cover 2, or much man to man for that matter. Forget about him, his not right for this team.

On Thursday night, I watched Jahmile Addae of West Virginia. He seemed to disappear at times, but he was a ball hawk who seemed run a lot of plays down. He's a big thick guy, and he caused a fumble in the game. He's definately a good tackler, and he doesn't have problems in coverage.

I'd say those are astute observations.

Based on the Auburn game, not only does it look like Greg Blue is a bad fit for the Bengals defense, it looks like he has no chance at playing safety in the NFL. Blue looks more like a weakside backer at the next level -- plays best forward, very limited going back and reacting in coverage. It really showed up w/ the speed of the Auburn receivers.

I've tried watching Addae twice in the last month and he's hard to catch in action because of West Virginia's 3-3-5, which puts him back as a true centerfield. When he does blast into the TV screen, it's in a major hurry and somebody gets shellacked.

Forget Pat Watkins of FSU. He's a pure free safety who is so tall and lanky that he has trouble changing directions and breaking on balls. Plus we don't need a pure free safety.

I know everyone likes Darnell Bing, but I honestly believe that LaRon Landry is the best safety in the country. He is a great blitzer, and anyone who watched the the game remembers the hit he put on Brodie Croyle. His tackling ability amazed me. 'Bama had a 255 lb. fullback that was running over linebackers, and Landry - the free safety - bodied him up and put him on his back. Another time 'Bama's tailback tried to outrun him to the corner, and LL cut him off and threw him down like a hog in a pig sty. He also, consitsently, bailed out his teammates in coverage. He got called for pass interference once, but he could have made the play without the interference, and he can be taught not to do that. All in all I'd say he saved about 3 TDs in the game, either in coverage or by making great tackles.

I agree with you about Watkins. He should be on the board for awhile.

Landry is excellent. If he enters early, he should go high.

But I still say Michael Huff is the most versatile safety in the country and the best fit for the Bengals because he brings what Madieu does. Huff could see his draft stock continue to rise as a CB rather than a safety, which are more sought after early in the draft, and that could take him off the board by the time the Bengals pick.

The best sleeper I've seen is Trevis Coley of Southern Miss. Teams are looking for the Troy Polamalu freak of nature who can get all over the field, cover decently enough underneath on a team with a solid FS, and tackle like a LB. At 6-1, 220 Coley is a big hitter and he holds his own in man coverage on WRs as well as help over the top. But he might still have a hard time convincing teams that he is a safety and go into the 2nd day.