Pronouncing "BENGALS"

Junglelove4

Alright, I lived in Northern Kentucky my whole life, but then moved to Louisville, ky and it has been pointed out to me that I pronounce Bengals like "Bangals". Now I know this is how my family and friends pronounce it and realize that it isnt grammatically correct. So I was wondering if its a Cincinnati thing, a Northern Kentucky thing, or just something weird that I do? Either way, I'll be at the houston game sunday! WHO-DEY!

Alright, I lived in Northern Kentucky my whole life, but then moved to Louisville, ky and it has been pointed out to me that I pronounce Bengals like "Bangals". Now I know this is how my family and friends pronounce it and realize that it isnt grammatically correct. So I was wondering if its a Cincinnati thing, a Northern Kentucky thing, or just something weird that I do? Either way, I'll be at the houston game sunday! WHO-DEY!

It's your Kentucky accent ..... which is noticeable as soon as you cross the Ohio river. People living in " Loo a vull " aren't as likely to have as much of a distinct accent ... because most of them are from somwhere else originally.

BENgals ..Bangals ... Bengals ..... they're all good as long as it's not bungles anymore ... hate that !!!

Just noticed this is post #1 ....... Welcome to the board. Here have a cold one & enjoy. :cheers:

Ben·gal

Pronunciation: ben-'gol, be[ng]-, -'gäl

Usage: geographical name

region E India (subcontinent) including delta of the Ganges & the Brahmaputra; formerly a presidency & (1937-47) a province of British India; divided 1947 between Pakistan & India (republic)

Bengal Tiger

: a Tiger (Panthera tigris tigris) occurring in India and especially at THE JUNGLE in Cincinnati Ohio !!!

Ben·gal

Pronunciation: ben-'gol, be[ng]-, -'gäl

Usage: geographical name

region E India (subcontinent) including delta of the Ganges & the Brahmaputra; formerly a presidency & (1937-47) a province of British India; divided 1947 between Pakistan & India (republic)

Bengal Tiger

: a Tiger (Panthera tigris tigris) occurring in India and especially at THE JUNGLE in Cincinnati Ohio !!!

Especially THE JUNGLE in Cincinnati :lol: Good one.

Here you have one too :cheers:

:huh: You guys ARE 21 right ????????????

I pronounce it like "Bang-les", but I don't have any accent other than that. I've lived in Columbus all my life.

I hate it when the sports guys say "Bing-les", don't you hate that? The black, fatter guy from NFL Tonight (I think..) says it that way, and he says Cincy is his home town.

I think the guys on Sportscenter say it that way too, it's so annoying!

Well it may be physically difficult for some people to pronounce it correctly. Yes, Lita, you are speaking of Tom Jackson, and that is ironic for him to do speak it in such a manner when he lives here, but oh well. It is a hard word to say correctly, just by it's spelling, so I don't mind.

I'm glad their actually being talked about on TV, even with the mispronunciation.

I pronounce it like "Bang-les", but I don't have any accent other than that. I've lived in Columbus all my life.

I hate it when the sports guys say "Bing-les", don't you hate that? The black, fatter guy from NFL Tonight (I think..) says it that way, and he says Cincy is his home town.

I think the guys on Sportscenter say it that way too, it's so annoying!

B) Not 100% sure, but I think that " black fatter " guy you're referring to is Tom Jackson ...... former player... pro bowler ... Cincinnati native ... and pretty darned astute analyst.

No beer for you .... 4 years !

B) I'm the Beer Nazi

First of all Junglelove4, welcome to Bengalszone. I too was born and raised in Northern Kentucky, (Erlanger) Spent a year after high school at Northern Kentucky University, served in the Marine Corps after that with Col. Oliver North, and now living in Northern Arizona and still rooting for the Bengals to win the AFC...:huh: ...North.

:blush: Sorry got on a roll there. Anyway they pronounce it weird all over. Just thank God it ain't "The Bungles" anymore!

BANGals, seems to me to be just a regionalism.

As for the BINGles...I think it's just pure laziness, and I don't tolerate it.

I always say "It's BENGals, not BINGles..."

Which, in turn is usually met with massive rolling of the eyes.

agreed 100%

BW Tom Jakcson says it that ways probably cause he was told to.

Alright, I lived in Northern Kentucky my whole life

and we are sorry for that

:lol:

I'm damn proud about being from Kentucky! It's sad to hear Ohioians seemingly looking down their nose at their betters to the south. What's even sadder is that the State of Ohio doesn't even own the River it's freaking named after! Talk about sloppy seconds from the south. :lol::rolleyes:

Sort of off topic warning:

I once met a client who stated she was a linquist. Sadly, she wasn't very cunning. That said, while we talked about her chosen profession she informed me that within 5 minutes she could tell I wasn't from Southern California. I didn't doubt her, but I did ask her how she knew. She said I pronounced the word similar incorrectly....as if it were spelled simular. Then she blew what's left of my mind by claiming she could guess within a couple hundred miles where I was from. First she said the southern Ohio area, then narrowed it down by guessing I was from somewhere near Dayton.

Boom. My mind was blown.

Years later I was watching a news story about a massive fireworks explosion in the Cincy area. As a witness was being interviewed I was struck by the way he pronounced the word similar. Yup, he said the word as if it were spelled simular.

But wait, there's more to this story than that. As the witness was shown walking away from the camera, and I noticed he wasn't wearing any shoes. Thus, I concluded that he wasn't one of my kind. Instead, I believe he was a lowly Hill-tuckian.

BTW, when I say the word Bengal I pronounce it.....undefeated.

Sort of off topic warning:

I once met a client who stated she was a linquist. Sadly, she wasn't very cunning. That said, while we talked about her chosen profession she informed me that within 5 minutes she could tell I wasn't from Southern California. I didn't doubt her, but I did ask her how she knew. She said I pronounced the word similar incorrectly....as if it were spelled simular. Then she blew what's left of my mind by claiming she could guess within a couple hundred miles where I was from. First she said the southern Ohio area, then narrowed it down by guessing I was from somewhere near Dayton.

Boom. My mind was blown.

Years later I was watching a news story about a massive fireworks explosion in the Cincy area. As a witness was being interviewed I was struck by the way he pronounced the word similar. Yup, he said the word as if it were spelled simular.

But wait, there's more to this story than that. As the witness was shown walking away from the camera, and I noticed he wasn't wearing any shoes. Thus, I concluded that he wasn't one of my kind. Instead, I believe he was a lowly Hill-tuckian.

BTW, when I say the word Bengal I pronounce it.....undefeated.

I call the Dayton area home, and I must say that I've never heard the word "similar" pronounced with a "u" sound. I'm not calling you a liar, of course, but that is interesting. I believe she was a linguist, but I bet she's been here before. Nobody from the southern California area has even heard of Dayton, much less knows the dialect. Then again, that's her job, and what would I know about that? Not too much.

My Sister calls them the Bing-gals. She was also the one that came up with such gems as:

'why does everyone have to tackle him, why doesn't just one guy tackle him'.

And

'How come everyone doesn't get to throw the ball'.

You have to love Thanksgiving...

:lol:

I'm familiar with this humor.

My mother:

"Why does he keep running right into all those big guys???"

"Why do all the penalties go on MY team???"

My brother:

"I would just form a human pyramid over the lineman after the hike, and have the ball carrier on top so he can jump over the whole defense"

"I would give the lightest guy on the team the ball, and have the strongest guy throw him downfield"

"I would form a circular barrier of huge guys around the ballcarrier, and have a battering ram of people all the way to the endzone."

My Sister calls them the Bing-gals. She was also the one that came up with such gems as:

'why does everyone have to tackle him, why doesn't just one guy tackle him'.

And

'How come everyone doesn't get to throw the ball'.

You have to love Thanksgiving...

That is so funny JET. I bout fell out of my chair...You got to love em though...

I call the Dayton area home, and I must say that I've never heard the word "similar" pronounced with a "u" sound. I'm not calling you a liar, of course, but that is interesting. I believe she was a linguist, but I bet she's been here before. Nobody from the southern California area has even heard of Dayton, much less knows the dialect. Then again, that's her job, and what would I know about that? Not too much.

I've never heard the sim-u-lar pronouciation before, but I've never listened for it. My grandparents live in the Dayton area and I had an uncle who lived there as well. The one pronounciation that drives me insane is when people say "Cincinnata" instead of "Cincinnati." There are times that I just want to scream "The world doesn't end in a freakin A" B)