Clarett ain't no Earl Campbell

Boobie Clark

ESPN ran a piece on Earl Campbell this morning - anyone see it?

At the beginning they implied that Clarett has no idea what he's getting into, but the story really didn't say much about him after that.

Campbell, considered one of the most punishing backs ever, looks like an old man. I think he said he's 48 (didn't take the time to research) but when I saw him I thought "man, he looks like he's in his 60s". Gray hair and beard, fat, can barely walk and has to use a cane. He looks awful. Now, he did say he wishes he'd run out of bounds more often instead of over people, so maybe Clarett won't end up the same way. All I can say is...

...good luck Maurice.

Yeah, I saw it. The man is an absolute cripple because of the punishment his body took. But I loved watching the film of him conversely dealing out the punishment in return. That man, one on one, could flat run over ANYONE! :blink:

Don't agree with Kiper saying Clarett is a 2nd round pick. Too many question marks about him. Durability,speed,off the field issues.

It's not even a question of whether or not he'll be drafted, but what I don't like most about him, is after he won, a reporter asked him, what do you feel is most unjust about the rule you just beat...and he straight up said...."DUHHHHH"....

He had no answer.. except to say..." i really don't understand the rule...or the legalities of it to really say.."

HELLO MCFLY !! ....WHAT THE HELL WAS THE LAWSUIT FOR, UNLESS YOU JUST WANT TO ADMIT THAT,YOU COULDN'T HACK IT AS A STUDENT ATHLETE AND USED A LAWYER TO WEASEL YOUR WAY OUT.

Don't agree with Kiper saying Clarett is a 2nd round pick. Too many question marks about him. Durability,speed,off the field issues.

It's not even a question of whether or not he'll be drafted, but what I don't like most about him, is after he won, a reporter asked him, what do you feel is most unjust about the rule you just beat...and he straight up said...."DUHHHHH"....

He had no answer.. except to say..." i really don't understand the rule...or the legalities of it to really say.."

HELLO   MCFLY !!   ....WHAT THE HELL WAS THE LAWSUIT FOR, UNLESS YOU JUST WANT TO ADMIT THAT,YOU COULDN'T HACK IT AS A STUDENT ATHLETE AND USED A LAWYER TO WEASEL YOUR WAY OUT.

From what I've been reading, I'd have to agree. Now that he's won the case, coaches and scouts are doing some serious evaluations of his talent and potential. So far he's coming up short.

One area that he is laciking is what they refer to as the big 3 Height weight and speed. Coaches have said they think his numbers in all 3 were inflated at Ohio St.

Another said that while he has a good burst to the hole, he's not that fast in the open field and would easily be run down by defenders limithing his gains

Add to the list ...... injuries didn't make a full year, and obvious character issues and he's looking at a 3rd or even 4th round by a lot of estimates. That's before you get to a 6" thick play book that they say he most likely wouldn't be able to absorb.

Also one current player has suggested that defenders will try to make an example of him as soon as he touches the ball. He said that the players were viewing this as a sign of disrespect for them and the oragnization, and that somebody would likely try to kill him as soon as they got a chance.

The latest to surface is his realtionship with known gambling figure. It just goes from bad to worse with this kid. Is this really Lawrence Philips in disguise ??? I'm sure somebody will take him ... Al Davis if nobody else, but he's going to have a tough time in practice and pre season. And like that player said. God help him when a real, life sized, veteran linebacker and or defensive end gets a clear shot at him.

I say he at the earliest goes round 5, if he is drafted at all...What team wants a mediocre running back with real attitude problems....Clarett was the most overated back in CFB when he was at Ohio State....I know most of you guys are partial to Ohio State.....But, Clarett sucks. Also, I think the owners may well avoid him on principle...Don't sue the league and expect the owners to have many nice things to say about you...Not to mention the long term aspects for College ball and the NFL....

I'll make a predication now....If he does make it on a team he won't make it to year 3 in the NFL...He'll be a boy among men...And the players will be looking to take a chunk out of the little punk.....

Of course there is every chance that he'll not even be drafted or make it as a college FA....Never underestimate the power of the black ball :lol:

I say he at the earliest goes round 5, if he is drafted at all...What team wants a mediocre running back with real attitude problems....Clarett was the most overated back in CFB when he was at Ohio State....I know most of you guys are partial to Ohio State.....But, Clarett sucks. Also, I think the owners may well avoid him on principle...Don't sue the league and expect the owners to have many nice things to say about you...Not to mention the long term aspects for College ball and the NFL....

I'll make a predication now....If he does make it on a team he won't make it to year 3 in the NFL...He'll be a boy among men...And the players will be looking to take a chunk out of the little punk.....

Of course there is every chance that he'll not even be drafted or make it as a college FA....Never underestimate the power of the black ball :lol:

With all the bad press he's getting, he's going to have to impress the hell out of everyone at the combine. If he doesn't participate, he's signing his death warrant. If he does participate and does badly he drops faster than aunt Tillie's biscuits.

So even before he's drafted, he's going to have to pull off a public relations coup. Impress the scouts and coaches with his sincerity, intelligence, and character, and his ability to fit in with his team members. Then he's going to have to go out and dazzle all of them with his physical talents, and show he can take direction and is capable of being coached.

You know what ?? I just don't think he has it in him to do all that. I might be wrong, but I think he'll try to paint himself as the victim or a martyr in this whole thing and shift the blame for everything he did to everyone else who was in the area at the time and say they put him in a position where he couldn't have done it any other way. I think he will then turn in a very average performance on the field and blame that on conditions, equipment, or bias on the part of the coaches etc.

Even at that, football people have an amazing capacity for forgiveness and leniency for anyone who can potentially play football at the professional level, and I think he'll be drafted. It won't be very high, and it won't be for a lot of money, but somebody will give him a job.

Now whether he makes the team or not is another whole story. We'll just have to wait and see on that one.