Vikings/Bengals Game thread

Ox

It wasn't all Harrington making bad decisions and bad passes, it was the Bears defense being just like ours, dangerous and opportunistic.

Well he was the one running the offense on the field and throwing the ball. A great portion of the blame HAS to fall here for that reason alone.

IMHO, Joey Harrington has sucked giant sweaty donkey balls for as long as he's been in the league. Next week the Bears definitely won't be facing anything close to a Giant Donkey Balls sucker. The next one of those they'll see will be wearing a Ravens uniform, and be named "Kyle." :lol:

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we clobbered the Vikings. I know that.

But let's keep this in perspective, and not get too excited just yet....

1) This win was just as much about the Vikings (particularly Culpepper) handing the bengals the win as the Bengals claimed it. How many turnovers were there, two of which were called back on penalties?

2) After scoring the first 27 points, the Bengals started to go flat.....they stopped playing hard after they had them down but not yet out.

3) Our defense did not stop the run. Yes, we managed to cause and recover some fumbles, but the Vikings were very efficient running the ball.

4) Almost 20 penalties?

Again, I know we won. I know we won big. But before you get too excited, ask yourself if the better teams in the league will allow us to win in this fashion. Will the good teams give up multiple turnovers and throw 5 picks? No. Will other teams come back on us if we go flat after getting out a head a bit? Yes. Will we win many games allowing the opponents running backs over 5 yards a carry? No, we won't. Will good teams beat us if we beat ourselves again with that many penalties? Yes, they will.

Chicago might actually be a decent test, given that they have a pretty good defense and home field advantage. Jacksonville will assuredly be a test.

We'll see, but I don't think our Bengals have faced a decent enough opponent to prove anything about how good this team is just yet.......

TJ...there's always work to be done...but let's be real..

WE MARCHED ON A ROAD OF BONES!!!!

I know we clobbered the Vikings. I know that.

1) This win was just as much about the Vikings (particularly Culpepper) handing the bengals the win as the Bengals claimed it. How many turnovers were there, two of which were called back on penalties?

2) After scoring the first 27 points, the Bengals started to go flat.....they stopped playing hard after they had them down but not yet out.

3) Our defense did not stop the run. Yes, we managed to cause and recover some fumbles, but the Vikings were very efficient running the ball.

4) Almost 20 penalties?

Again, I know we won. I know we won big. But before you get too excited, ask yourself if the better teams in the league will allow us to win in this fashion. Will the good teams give up multiple turnovers and throw 5 picks? No. Will other teams come back on us if we go flat after getting out a head a bit? Yes. Will we win many games allowing the opponents running backs over 5 yards a carry? No, we won't. Will good teams beat us if we beat ourselves again with that many penalties? Yes, they will.

Chicago might actually be a decent test, given that they have a pretty good defense and home field advantage. Jacksonville will assuredly be a test.

We'll see, but I don't think our Bengals have faced a decent enough opponent to prove anything about how good this team is just yet.......

Jesus Christ, TJ, I believe you were one of the ones yapping about how Culpepper was gonna be a real test.

The Bengals D owned him. Simply owned him. They were given nothing, they TOOK seven away. Punched Minny right in the mouth.

Geez it gets f**king old with the constant yammering of "keep things in perspective". f**k that. 2-0 with a f**king ass-stomping of a team many "experts" had stuck in the NFL title game.

Always gotta be a naysayer, I guess.

I know we clobbered the Vikings.  I know that.

1) This win was just as much about the Vikings (particularly Culpepper) handing the bengals the win as the Bengals claimed it.  How many turnovers were there, two of which were called back on penalties?

3) Our defense did not stop the run.  Yes, we managed to cause and recover some fumbles, but the Vikings were very efficient running the ball.

4) Almost 20 penalties?

Again, I know we won. I know we won big.  But before you get too excited, ask yourself if the better teams in the league will allow us to win in this fashion.  Will the good teams give up multiple turnovers and throw 5 picks? No.  Will other teams come back on us if we go flat after getting out a head a bit? Yes.  Will we win many games allowing the opponents running backs over 5 yards a carry? No, we won't.  Will good teams beat us if we beat ourselves again with that many penalties? Yes, they will.

Chicago might actually be a decent test, given that they have a pretty good defense and home field advantage.  Jacksonville will assuredly be a test. 

I know what you mean, this was the weirdest game. Played so well in some ways, really bad in others. Who knows.

Regarding their running, I think we were stopping it before they went away from it. They started well, but after the first two series they weren't getting anything.

As far as the penalties....ugh. I'm almost glad it happened though, in this game where it didn't matter. I guarantee it doesn't happen next week.

Tell ya what I can't figure out going forward...the NFC North, who the Bengals play 3 more times. So CHI looks like crap against a bad WAS team (I had the pleasure of watching that dog at FedEx), and DET kills GB. Now CHI destroys DET. Of course, MIN is 0-2 after we throttled them. Are these teams just incredibly inconsistent (except for MIN who is just bad), or can one infer that the entire division should be moved to Div 1-AA?

Are these teams just incredibly inconsistent (except for MIN who is just bad), or can one infer that the entire division should be moved to Div 1-AA?

Aside from Philly and possibly Carolina, you can move the whole CONFERENCE into Div 1-AA.

NFC = :lol:

I know we clobbered the Vikings.  I know that.

1) This win was just as much about the Vikings (particularly Culpepper) handing the bengals the win as the Bengals claimed it.  How many turnovers were there, two of which were called back on penalties?

3) Our defense did not stop the run.  Yes, we managed to cause and recover some fumbles, but the Vikings were very efficient running the ball.

4) Almost 20 penalties?

Again, I know we won. I know we won big.  But before you get too excited, ask yourself if the better teams in the league will allow us to win in this fashion.  Will the good teams give up multiple turnovers and throw 5 picks? No.  Will other teams come back on us if we go flat after getting out a head a bit? Yes.  Will we win many games allowing the opponents running backs over 5 yards a carry? No, we won't.  Will good teams beat us if we beat ourselves again with that many penalties? Yes, they will.

Chicago might actually be a decent test, given that they have a pretty good defense and home field advantage.  Jacksonville will assuredly be a test. 

I know what you mean, this was the weirdest game. Played so well in some ways, really bad in others. Who knows.

Regarding their running, I think we were stopping it before they went away from it. They started well, but after the first two series they weren't getting anything.

As far as the penalties....ugh. I'm almost glad it happened though, in this game where it didn't matter. I guarantee it doesn't happen next week.

Tell ya what I can't figure out going forward...the NFC North, who the Bengals play 3 more times. So CHI looks like crap against a bad WAS team (I had the pleasure of watching that dog at FedEx), and DET kills GB. Now CHI destroys DET. Of course, MIN is 0-2 after we throttled them. Are these teams just incredibly inconsistent (except for MIN who is just bad), or can one infer that the entire division should be moved to Div 1-AA?

No matter what, I see a bright spot in the penalties. Marvin will rip these boys a new a$$ about that and they will not get too big in the head. On some level, Minnesota's poor performance (and the national media's focus on that versus us actually being good team (can you BELIEVE THAT?!)), together with Chicago's blow out of Detroit means we will fully prepare for this game.

I saw some gaping holes in the running D today, a typical Palmer learning mistake, but I also saw a precise offense, a D that is ACTUALLY SWARMING TO THE BALL and forcing turnovers (do I hear and "O-my-DELL!"?!).

Things to work on on will be helpful. But domination of anyone in this league is a sign... a very good sign.

Feels good to be a Bengals fan...

This is a win, a good win, and a good measuring stick for how good a team our Bengals really are.

Yes, the Vikings played terribly, so in turn, we scored 29 more points than they did.

Yes, we committed a rediculous number of penalties, and yes Marvin will tear them apart for it. That many mistakes is a rare occassion, a franchise record in fact. Don't expect that to be a lasting problem.

Bottom line: Bengals 37, Vikings 8.

Well, like I said, I am enjoying a victory as well. Please don't get me wrong on this. I was hootin' an hollerin' just like the rest of you as we all sat and watched this game.

But I don't think we beat one of the good teams in the league playing like we did today. Not with all those penalties, not with going more or less flat after scoring the first 27, not with playing run defense like that.

The better teams - the ones who will advance in the playoffs - are not going to play like Minnesota played, and we are not going to beat them playing like we did today.

But yeah - you take the wins however you can get them early.

Ah yes, and last thing...my main man Reggie didn't play so well this week......

It matters not all the penalties we had today. We got the win. If we were playing the Steelers or Patriots or an Eagles team I do not think we would have had all those penalties.

Next week it is a new game, new problems. Every week there is always going to be something, either penalties or fumbles or the defense or the offense. All that matters is a playoff or superbowl team overcomes those problems and gets the win when the clock hits 0 in the 4th quarter and that is exactly what the bengals are doing right now.

It wasn't all Harrington making bad decisions and bad passes, it was the Bears defense being just like ours, dangerous and opportunistic.

Well he was the one running the offense on the field and throwing the ball. A great portion of the blame HAS to fall here for that reason alone.

IMHO, Joey Harrington has sucked giant sweaty donkey balls for as long as he's been in the league. Next week the Bears definitely won't be facing anything close to a Giant Donkey Balls sucker. The next one of those they'll see will be wearing a Ravens uniform, and be named "Kyle." :lol:

Billy, that is so totally unfair. Joey is such a nice white boy. He has a really nice smile and a very calming affect when he speaks...and...and...and he can play piano really well. And he looks nice in that blue uniform.

Take it back...Take it back right now!

On a serious note...If I'm looking at a thread and at the bottom is my name and immediately beside it is KRUNKJUICE, is there any chance that I might get those pesky warts that are so hard to rub off?

I'm checking now.

No matter what, I see a bright spot in the penalties. Marvin will rip these boys a new a$$ about that and they will not get too big in the head.

I think most of the penalties stemmed from over-enthusiasm and extreme intensity. I'd rather have some false starts if it results in zero sacks of our valuable QB (Palmer was not sacked at all, in spite of the number of times he threw). I'd rather have some defensive penalties if they resulted from the exuberance of young players (although there was ZERO excuse for Myles' personal foul). Also, I agree that we were called for more holding than Minnesota was (in spite of there being about an equal amount of holding on both sides during the game). Anyway, I think with experience, we will continue to improve on cutting down mistakes. Remember this is a very young, relatively inexperienced team (especially on defense and QB). Who dey? Pretty soon even the national commentators will know!