Forum Member Diversity

BengalszoneBilly

I don't think you're done getting responses either. There are several that haven't posted yet that I think will come in. I have to admit, I'm nosy as hell and I want to know how a Virginia boy ended up in New Zealand of all places ..... and what made some guy in Scotland decide he liked the Bengals ????

Better late than never I suppose.

I work for the council (local government) involved in project management in the "community works" department which covers roads, drainage, street cleansing, refuse collection, recycling, grounds maintenance, play parks, burial grounds etc etc. It doesn't sound very exciting but really it is quite varied and interesting - and I get to be out and about around my little patch of the Highlands everyday!

Why did I chose the Bengals? It was the helmets of course!! Back in '84 when gridiron made it's debut on British TV there was a newspaper article about the sport and it feature a graphic of each teams helmets - I liked the look of the Bengals helmet and that was it for me. At the same time my buddy chose to follow the Browns as they had "the most boring" helmet - no logo, crappy colour etc. At the time we didn't know the history between the two teams, or the Ohio rivalary or that they were in the same division. It was just something to make the Sunday afternoon TV show more interesting - looking out for "your team". My buddys support fell by the wayside somewhat when the Browns became the Ravens.

Since '96 I've seen the Bengals play 8 times - 6 victories, 1 regular time loss, 1 o/t loss ..... not a bad record considering the past ten years and I'm looking forward to the next 10 years.....whodey!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better late than never I suppose.

Finally! We've been waiting for this story for AGES!! :rolleyes:

And in my true style I keep 'em waiting - only to disappoint!

Might as well make this the never-ending thread. Heaven forbid I pass up an opportunity to talk about myself.

I moved to Denver CO three years ago from Centerville, OH (suburb of Dayton) with my now ex-wife and two kids (5 yr old son and 4yr old daughter). I work for a contractor for the Army at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Commerce City (what a hole), where they used to manufacture chemical weapons (sarin, vx nerve gas, and mustard gas to name a few). The Arsenal is now in the process of being converted into a national wildlife refuge, which I think is very cool. It's awesome to see the transformation of a place where chemicals intended to kill people were made, to something beautiful and full of life. I see deer every day, and have seen coyotes, foxes, eagles, prarie dogs and I even accidently ran over a rattlesnake with my car yesterday (that wasn't pretty). They've opened the arsenal up to the public on weekends for fishing, although you can't eat the fish that you catch because they're not safe to eat...and most likely never will be. They supposedly have some monster large-mouths in the lake. Cleanup is expected to be completed by 2011 at which time the Army will hand over full responsibility for the land to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

I work in the field of records management. The Army is in the process of demilitarizing its chemical weapons stockpile nationwide. In their on-going effort to complete this process, every chemical weapon installation in the country sends the paperwork that they've generated over the years to us at the arsenal. We then scan it, and enter information from each document into a database so that the Army powers-that-be can access it via the net.

I live in Lakewood, which is a suburb west of Denver, and I'm 10 minutes from Red Rocks Park and Ampitheatre which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I'm there at least once a week hiking or just sitting in the ampitheatre taking it all in...talk about a great view of the city too. It's a really incredible place to see concerts. The acoustics are unbelieveable. I saw Coldplay there last June and Barenaked Ladies last Labor Day. I would have given my left nut to have seen U2 there back in 82.(?)

Anyway, one last little story...my kids were in a car acccident two weeks ago in which my son suffered some serious head injuries (he's ok now). One of his nurses asked him who his favorite football team was. I fully expected him to say the Broncos (he's only 5 afterall, and doesn't know the ways of the world yet). When he said "the Bengals," I knew he was going to be just fine.

WHO DEY!!

Might as well make this the never-ending thread

Hopefully it remains as such. We Bengal fans need to bond in any way possible. This is VERY important as Marvin Lewis leads us on our Super Bowl Victory March so friendships are forged, as I did with Boobie Clark out here in Arizona!

The stories that STILL blow me away are the ones from our English and Scottish fans in the British Isles! These folks live a world away from Cincinnati, yet they are fervent backers of the Bengals! Go figure. :blink:

I have to admit, I'm nosy as hell and I want to know how a Virginia boy ended up in New Zealand of all places ..... and what made some guy in Scotland decide he liked the Bengals ????

Back at ya. ............ Semper Fi .... Marines till the day we die.

We finally got our answer on this Redsfan...totally amazing I must admit! Have you read it yet?

I have to admit, I'm nosy as hell and I want to know how a Virginia boy ended up in New Zealand of all places ..... and what made some guy in Scotland decide he liked the Bengals ????

Back at ya. ............ Semper Fi .... Marines till the day we die.

We finally got our answer on this Redsfan...totally amazing I must admit! Have you read it yet?

Yeah .......... I'm on it. Just got back, and trying to catch up.

Walking around in the highlands every day eh ????????? You weren't too far off with the guy sitting under a tree with a laptop were you ????????

ScottishBengal ................. we are never disappointed about getting to know the members of the brotherhood. Good of you to take time from your fishing and ........ tipping to come in with a hello.

Denver ........... Glad your kids are doing good and that you're growing another Bengals fan. :player:

I'm a student (graduating this summer) :D at Ohio University

I'm from Dayton originally....I'm in school for Telecommunications....

IF I had the choice of picking my career....it would be a emcee/actor

I know thats the tired cliche, every black guy from the hood wants to rap blah blah, but in my defense, none of you guys have heard me, and I've been writing seriously since sophmore year in high school.....

as far as acting, ive fiddled front/behind the camera since high school as well,

I attended a Arts magnet in High School, and basically holed myself up in the editing suite....(Analog Panasonic editors...heh)

thats what I originally attended OU for, they have an excellent TCOM program....I was going for Video Production...but something told me my degree would look a lot better if it was a management degree <_<

I'm still in the same school, (Telecommunications) which is cool....but in hindsight, I wish I would've continued to pursue the Video Production degree...I'd be a lot happier....

Yeah....thats a little on me...

in case your interested.....here's a site with a few songs and what not I've compiled....ThirdWorldStudios

Denver ........... Glad your kids are doing good and that you're growing another Bengals fan.  :player:

Thanks Redsfan. It's wild what kids pick up from their parents. With the constant bombardment of broncos propaganda that goes on out here, it kind of amazes me. It's everywhere. I'll be teaching him the Who Dey chant this year. :)

Denver ........... Glad your kids are doing good and that you're growing another Bengals fan.  :player:

Thanks Redsfan. It's wild what kids pick up from their parents. With the constant bombardment of broncos propaganda that goes on out here, it kind of amazes me. It's everywhere. I'll be teaching him the Who Dey chant this year. :)

Gotta watch everything you say ....

While watching games on tv, I would always say " Aw Sh*t !!! " when one of the Bengals receivers didn't catch a pass. Yeah ... it was probably a lot. Anyway, it completely escaped me that my very young ... starting to talk son was sitting in the room with me. While at my Mother in Laws house he was watching a football game and when the receiver didn't make the catch ........... he knew what to say. My Mother in Law ... stunned ..... asked " What did you say ??" .. So he repeated it for her. Father in Law almost broke a rib laughing, but she didn't think it was real humorous.

Gotta Love Kids ! B)

Gotta watch everything you say ....

While watching games on tv, I would always say " Aw Sh*t !!! " when one of the Bengals receivers didn't catch a pass. Yeah ... it was probably a lot. Anyway, it completely escaped me that my very young ... starting to talk son was sitting in the room with me. While at my Mother in Laws house he was watching a football game and when the receiver didn't make the catch ........... he knew what to say. My Mother in Law ... stunned ..... asked " What did you say ??" .. So he repeated it for her. Father in Law almost broke a rib laughing, but she didn't think it was real humorous.

Gotta Love Kids ! B)

Yeah, somehow the ladies don't find that quite as amuzing as we men do. I try and be careful what I say around them, but...you know how that goes.

• 4 weeks later...

I realize we have quite a few new folks here that maybe haven't seen this thread. It's a good way for members here at the 'Zone to kind of get aquainted by giving us a little backround about yourselves, as far as where you live, and what you do for a living that allows you to f**k off so much at work and post here all day long! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Well it's been weeks since we've had any additional entries in this thread, and in that time we've had quite a few new members here at the Bengalszone forum. Would any of our new people like to contribute a little about themselves, as alot of others have already done? :blink:

Even though this thread is well over six months old...it seems to age well like a fine bottle of your favorite Scotch or Bourbon. :D

Does anyone else here care to add to the topic?

I'm in the Air Force, Logistics. Getting ready to reenlist for another hitch, and trying to crosstrain into Computer Operations. I've been stationed here at Langley AFB,VA for 3 years. Hopefully I'll get orders out of here soon.

Well welcome to the 'Zone active duty Air Force Airman!! You have my total respect serving our country in these troubled times!

As you've probably read, I'm a former Marine Corps Sergeant (Cobra helicopter mechanic). We have more than a few current and former military members from all the services here, and we're proud to have you with us!

If this keeps up we may need to think about a military forum! B)

I can't believe I didn't see this thread!!!

Oh well--here goes:

I'm originally from a rural area about 45 minutes from Downtown Dayton. I spent some time in the Air Force as a Lab Tech/Medic. I grad-e-ated from the University of Cincinnati in 1998 in Information Systems. Since then I've moved around a whole lot. Currently, I'm somewhere in the ignorant Old South--but that's soon to change next month (again, thank God!!!). I work for a Tire Company as a Manager of Computer Operations. That's equivalent to "I don't do jack s**t but sit on my ass and post on BengalsZone.com all day long" and "Don't bother me!!!"

As far as being a fan of the "Bengals"/Bungles goes, I have been a fan since I was born in the 70s. I absolutely loved watching Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Ickey Woods, Cris Collinsworth, Reggie Williams, Ken Riley, David Fulcher, James Brooks, etc. when the "Bengals" played on Sundays. I remember the beating the "Bengals" gave the Oilers in a 1989(?) game's route. I loved watching the Super Bowls the "Bengals" were in.

Then in 1990, Paul Brown died. The franchise went to s**t. The "Bengals" became the Bungles. There were player/fan screwings, draft bunglings, and free agent signings that were failures. You can say that now, I am a disgruntled fan (to say the least). I have forsaken to buy anything Bungles related since 1988. I have done everything but burn up my Bungles Fanship Card. As a Bungle Fan, I have forgotten what the word "playoff" means. *Sigh*

On the bright side, I am also a fan of THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY BUCKEYES. I liked how Edward boldfaced "THE". :D I'm probably more of a fan of the Buckeyes than anything. I can't help it--if you lived within 150 miles of OSU, you should be a fan. I think it's sacreligious to live in Columbus and be a MeatChicken Fan.

To you Vietnam and Iran Hostage Veterans--I just want to say THANK YOU. You are true warriors. You probably don't hear that too often. It really pisses me off of what kind of mistreatment the Vietnam Veterans have received over the years. It's the biggest crime since the Indian was put on the reservation.

:):):)

On the bright side, I am also a fan of THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY BUCKEYES. I liked how Edward boldfaced "THE". :D I'm probably more of a fan of the Buckeyes than anything. I can't help it--if you lived within 150 miles of OSU, you should be a fan. I think it's sacreligious to live in Columbus and be a MeatChicken Fan.

Well Barb at least we can cheer for one team together. OSU is where my boyfriend went to school and played football.....So it was an acquired taste! :D:D

To you Vietnam and Iran Hostage Veterans--I just want to say THANK YOU. You are true warriors. You probably don't hear that too often. It really pisses me off of what kind of mistreatment the Vietnam Veterans have received over the years. It's the biggest crime since the Indian was put on the reservation.

:):):)

I agree w/ you barbarion. WOW never thought I would say that!!! Those vets will never get the appreciation they deserve!!!

• 8 months later...

This one was a real treat to find! Last post here was wayyy back in July 2004. Give it a read if you want people. Contribute a little, (or alot) if you so care. Even if not, there are many interesting, sometimes surprising insights into the other Bengal fans you share this website with.

Since i have nothing better to do, ill tell you my whole life story...

I was born into a very poor family. I have two older brothers, and one younger sister. We lived in Cincy, the bad part. Lower pryce hill, on warsaw street. My two brothers were already into drugs, gangs, and stuff like that; so i tried to stay away. I became a Bengals fan, my dad was a brown and my mom was a chiefs fan. Finally around uh '99 my brother got shot 2 times, he survived though. I was a senior or junior in highschool. My parents thought we needed to get out of the big city, so we moved to Mt.Sterling Kentucky. I graduted with top honors, and went on to Morehead State were I meet my boyfriend and husband to be. Im currently majoring in Childhood Education, im working on my Bachelors. I plan on moving back to Cincy, but not back to the hood.

Thats it, so yep.

I was born into a very poor family. I have two older brothers, and one younger sister. We lived in Cincy, the bad part. Lower pryce hill, on warsaw street. My two brothers were already into drugs, gangs, and stuff like that; so i tried to stay away. I became a Bengals fan, my dad was a brown and my mom was a chiefs fan. Finally around uh '99 my brother got shot 2 times, he survived though. I was a senior or junior in highschool. My parents thought we needed to get out of the big city, so we moved to Mt.Sterling Kentucky. I graduted with top honors, and went on to Morehead State were I meet my boyfriend and husband to be. Im currently majoring in Childhood Education, im working on my Bachelors. I plan on moving back to Cincy, but not back to the hood.

Thats it, so yep.

word up.

Nothing to be ashamed of miss.....

I don't know your name.

I'm Edward if youre curious.

I was born into a very poor family. I have two older brothers,  and one younger sister. We lived in Cincy, the bad part. Lower pryce hill, on warsaw street. My two brothers were already into drugs, gangs, and stuff like that; so i tried to stay away. I became a Bengals fan, my dad was a brown and my mom was a chiefs fan. Finally around uh '99 my brother got shot 2 times, he survived though. I was a senior or junior in highschool. My parents thought we needed to get out of the big city, so we moved to Mt.Sterling Kentucky. I graduted with top honors, and went on to Morehead State were I meet my boyfriend and husband to be. Im currently majoring in Childhood Education, im working on my Bachelors. I plan on moving back to Cincy, but not back to the hood.

Thats it, so yep.

word up.

Nothing to be ashamed of miss.....

I don't know your name.

I'm Edward if youre curious.

Mi nombre Kansas. Nice to meet you.

Thats it, so yep.

B) It ain't where you start out that counts ..... It's where you end up.

There's only 2 kinds of people. Those who overcome any obstacle .... and those that are waiting for an excuse to crack and quit. You seem to be the first type, and you'll be OK. :player: