Forum Member Diversity

BengalszoneBilly

Hey guys, I was just wondering what kinds of people participate here at Bengalszone. You don't have to say where you work, but I think it would be interesting to see how diverse our fields of employment run.

I myself work in the manufacturing of tactical police radios as an electronics technician. The company is called Wulfsberg Electronics, and is located in Prescott, Arizona.

Anyone else would like to chime in here? Just something else to keep the message board somewhat active until the draft/free agent time rolls around... :rolleyes:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pictured most of the posters here as MIS types ...... computer savvy. Others I thought were mid level management, and thought we most likely had a few college journalism majors ...... budding sportswriters so to speak. Engineers wouldn't be a surprise either ........ have to admit that a chef was though.

Very interesting topic though. Makes you realize how much more you have in common with a broader spectrum of people than you would have normally thought.

At the risk of biasing everyone's opinion of me; Assistant Professor in mathematics at EKU.

No worries there. I went back to college late, and a couple of the profs were good guys.

I'd still have that beer with you as long as you don't mind being seen in the company of a truck driver B) .............. Grizzly's welcome too ( drinks have to wait till 21 tho ). Before he moved away, some of my best football conversations were with one of my sons friends. For someone so young, the amount of football knowledge he had was / is absolutely amazing. Still like talking to him when he gets home from time to time.

The other good thing about this board. Biases and pre conceived notions don't have a chance to get in the way because of the nature of the medium and the topic of discussion.

I'd still have that beer with you as long as you don't mind being seen in the company of a truck driver B) ..............

The other good thing about this board. Biases and pre conceived notions don't have a chance to get in the way because of the nature of the medium and the topic of discussion.

Well thanks redsfan. The way they're cutting the budget here I might have to ask you to buy! :)

I have good friends that drive trucks and work construction. Ain't nothing wrong with hard honest work.

Diversity is a funny thing, the university is very preoccupied with it. For your ammusment I'll paste in a survey request and a response it got. For whatever reason I found it interesting enough to save.

-----Original Message----- From: Research, Institutional Sent: 1/17/2003 9:10 AM Subject: Campus Climate/Diversity Survey

Dear Faculty,

Over the past several months the Diversity Committee, with input from many campus constituencies, prepared a survey to begin to collect information about the campus climate. The survey will be administered electronically to students, faculty and staff. Survey messages will be sent out in “waves” to prevent over-loading the server so people will receive the survey at different times. For those individuals who don’t have access to email or need special accommodations, alternative formats of the survey will be made available. This will be the first time we have surveyed the whole campus EKU community. We will look forward to, and take seriously, your honest responses and expect that what we learn will make EKU an even better place in which to learn, work, live and play. Thanks in advance for your cooperation and support. Click here to go to the survey

Thank You!

Reply:

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur, but I have real problems with the whole push

of so-called "diversity" to find more ways to divide us as a people and

as a culture. I was raised with the idea of America as a so-called

"melting pot," with the inputs from many adding to the mix as we become

one. Whatever happened to "E pluribus unum..."

Why are we trying to Balkanize America? I am a native American,

having been born in the United States. Members of my family come from a

lot of places over time; many of us have served in uniform in America's

wars - in my case in Vietnam, where Americans of many "ethnic

backgrounds" and colors all wore the same uniform, saluted the same

flag, and believed in the same ideals of God-given freedoms ("...endowed

by their Creator with certain inalienable rights..." - ever hear that

line?).

I am an American - a native-born citizen of the United States of

America. Part of my heritage is the wondrous collection of customs and

ideas from so many places - but all of them mine as an American.

Why are we trying to separate us, build artificial walls? Instead

of dividing why are we not just living, appreciating and getting on with

our lives as a wondrous kaleidoscope as a people?

Rebuttle

Al,

I appreicate your comments. The objective is to have a culture and

environment where everyone feels welcome, appreciated, and valued. Not

everyone is as open-minded as you are, and not everyone is able to be

fully integrated into our culture due to perceived cultural, social, or

ethnic differences. We are not trying to put up walls, but rather to

remove them. The objective of the survey is to provide us with data

that will allow the University to make data-driven decisions to

accomplish our diversity goals. If there are no problems, then the

survey may show that. If there are problem areas, they will be

identified so that they can be addressed appropriately. The data will

be shared with the campus community. The survey is totally voluntary

and responses are completely confidential.

---

Dr. Michael Foster

Co-chair, University Diversity Committee

Michael,

Thanks for the response. What ARE the "diversity goals?" Seems to me that still involves quotas of sorts -- but even more, judgements by someone as to what shaped hole our lives are to be stuffed, and into which we will be trying to pound others. I think true diversity allows for differences in life styles, in beliefs... but also in the freedom to choose those customs, beliefs, ideas for one's self. I see too much government intervention in some attempt to (past buying votes, of course - any government's first concern) control "diversity" by defining it, categorizing it, then labelling that which is "good" and "bad."

By attempting to label and define "diversity" we seem more guaranteed to destroy any true diversity. I was raised in central Illinois in the '50's, and have found real differences in ways of doing things as I have moved out and gone to other places, Kentucky among them. I make my own judgements for myself, as I have with any of my beliefs, based on my values and experiences. To what extent can I continue when Government tells me something I think is not "politically correct," e.g. Who is determining "correct?" Who is deciding what is acceptable one we get past the legality of an issue? To what extent are all of our freedoms lost by committee or government determination of acceptability?

What is the purpose of collected "diversity" data - to what USE will it be put? Who really NEEDS to know?

Al

I've always been kinda back and forth on the diversity thing myself. I'm not too far from Al. I was raised in Ohio in the 50's, went into the Marines in '68 and went to Viet Nam in '69. Lived in Virginia for a while and now western New York.

Most problems I've seen were the result of someone being offended by a remark or incident from a person who didn't think it would offend them. Diversity is fine, but I'd like to see surveys ...... classes and workshops in civility. If people would just start being civil with each other, most of the other crap wouldn't get a chance to happen in the first place.

Oh, and thought I'd forgotten about the beer offer didn't you :lol:

As to buying, my bar etiquette is impeccable. I always buy the first round and tip the bartender 5 bucks when ordering my first drink ( before I get it ). When its time to get another, the barkeep will usually walk past the guys who didn't tip to see what I want. Bars are great social places, and I can usually find something I like about most of them.

At the risk of biasing everyone's opinion of me; Assistant Professor in mathematics at EKU.

Pop quiz. 2+2??? Hurry.

Sorry Mat, I bet you get that crap all of the time. I have a really good buddy getting his PHD in Mathematics at Oxford (my party town), but I always make him figure out the money. He must hate it, but at least it's accurate. :D

I'd still have that beer with you as long as you don't mind being seen in the company of a truck driver

You are the backbone of this country and more people should salute guys like you. Here's to truck drivers everywhere! BTW - I spoke to Reds about this but Truckin' Bozo is an awesome show on the radio and I'd advise you guys to listen to him if you're having trouble falling asleep or are naturally a late nighter.

Puerto Rican born in cincy,graduated from MT.Healthy went to school in New York and D.C.. Degrees in Theology and Black History. Taught school in Atlanta for MoreHouse and Clark Atlanta.Working for Michelin Tread Technologies as a quality Counter Verifier ( guy that makes sure we don't have a firestone incident).lol

Now if that's not diversity.. i don't know what is.

I've always been kinda back and forth on the diversity thing myself. I'm not too far from Al. I was raised in Ohio in the 50's, went into the Marines in '68 and went to Viet Nam in '69. Lived in Virginia for a while and now western New York.

Most problems I've seen were the result of someone being offended by a remark or incident from a person who didn't think it would offend them. Diversity is fine, but I'd like to see surveys ...... classes and workshops in civility. If people would just start being civil with each other, most of the other crap wouldn't get a chance to happen in the first place.

Oh, and thought I'd forgotten about the beer offer didn't you :lol:

As to buying, my bar etiquette is impeccable. I always buy the first round and tip the bartender 5 bucks when ordering my first drink ( before I get it ). When its time to get another, the barkeep will usually walk past the guys who didn't tip to see what I want. Bars are great social places, and I can usually find something I like about most of them.

I agree that Al has some good points. And your civility point is excellent.

You must be one of the most popular guys at the bar. :)

I want to thank all you guys for contributing a little (and in some cases alot) about yourselves here. I really didn't expect this kind of response, along with finding out what an incredibly wide range of people this website brings together. I feel honored to interact with you guys here. And to you RedsFan2...Semper Fi Marine. :)

I want to thank all you guys for contributing a little (and in some cases alot) about yourselves here. I really didn't expect this kind of response, along with finding out what an incredibly wide range of people this website brings together. I feel honored to interact with you guys here. And to you RedsFan2...Semper Fi Marine. :)

I think you tapped in to something that we had all been wondering about. You get this image of people, and its always interesting to see how close it matches the reality.

I don't think you're done getting responses either. There are several that haven't posted yet that I think will come in. I have to admit, I'm nosy as hell and I want to know how a Virginia boy ended up in New Zealand of all places ..... and what made some guy in Scotland decide he liked the Bengals ????

Back at ya. ............ Semper Fi .... Marines till the day we die.

I don't think you're done getting responses either. There are several that haven't posted yet that I think will come in. I have to admit, I'm nosy as hell and I want to know how a Virginia boy ended up in New Zealand of all places ..... and what made some guy in Scotland decide he liked the Bengals ????

Back at ya. ............ Semper Fi .... Marines till the day we die.

I certainly hope that there is more stories to be told here. And I too am intrigued about that Scotsman myself. I think that'll be a headscratcher for sure.

Kevnz kinda gave me a little backround into his New Zealand situation from another thread way way back, but I'll let him tell his story. It is a wonder.

I think alot of guy's just aren't aware of this topic due to it being in the "General Discussions" catagory. They may have to be advised by other means. Maybe our distinguished moderator Josh can help us out here with a little front page space advertising this feature. I know I'm really enjoying getting to be a little less anonymous with the folks here. It's a good thing.

Here's a toast (I'm hoisting my glass of bourbon) to all that frequent these pages! B)

Damn, I completely missed this topic until now.

Sorry it's taken so long.

I'm a IT tech and Web developer for a private school in Auckland NZ. I moved here from my sleepy little hometown to marry my wife who's a kiwi and I couldn't convince her to move to the states....It's worked out pretty well cause having children here is free and we are getting ready to have our second one....And yes, before anyone asks I met my wife on the internet like 6 1/2 years ago before it was a total freakshow :lol:

It's worked out pretty well cause having children here is free and we are getting ready to have our second one....And yes, before anyone asks I met my wife on the internet like 6 1/2 years ago before it was a total freakshow :lol:

Damn kevnz!! Your story IS a wonder!! Is making kids there the same price as having them? 'Cause I spend at least $100 in a night in my attempts with the girls I date here stateside! Oh, and I take the term "Freak Show" as a compliment. I recently met all you guys here, and hanging out here with you guys is wrong...I don't wanna be right.

Aww screw it, you guy's probably already sense I ain't "right" as it is!! :lol:

Well redsfan2, let track down our Scotsman by God!! :huh: