Week 1 /The Browns game thread....

combatbengal

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing that I most dread is seeing Palmer being flushed out of the pocket and just before he gets tackled he throws it into coverage for and interception thats returned for a touchdown.. I dont want to see this happen this year. It completely demoralizes the team and changes the whole complexity of the game.

Hopefully he's learned to eat or throw the ball out of bounds....

I have a confession to make. Trent Dilfer scares me.

Or maybe it's a veteran QB working against a rookie MLB that scares me. Any veteran QB.

Agreed. I don't care how bad Dilfer is, he is a smart football player, and should be able to exploit any rookie mistakes. I don't like the thought of those fast Browns receivers running against Ohalete either. Good thing we have the same advantage on them with Palmer.

Dilfer will throw about 3 or 4 passes up for grabs in every game he plays, and there are types of throws he can't make. If a defense can exploit that tendency they should be able to survive...if not thrive. But I can easily imagine a scenario where the Browns feature their running game and then exploit the rookies in pass coverage on nearly every 3rd down conversion attempt. Slow death. Low scoring. Keep it close and wait for the other guy to make a critical mistake.

I'm expecting a Bengal win, but I'll be surprised if it's not a close game.

Special teams has me a little worried . Graham hasn't kicked many long kicks for awhile & the Clowns return guy (Cribs) looks dangerous.

Agreed. Cribs seemed on the verge of breaking every return this preseason. Hopefully they've got enough film on him to make adjustments. If I recall he struggled with and eventually fumbled out of bounds one directional kick that may or may not have been purposely squibbed.

Here is my guess...next year when they see how impostant special teams are to making this roster, there will be guys on the bubble who will get super serious about the return game and start to feel about returning punts the way our kickers, St. Louis, Myles and Mitchell feel about special teams.

When a couple of guys are mostly focused on returning and nor so much on how much time they'll be on O or D, we'll get a good one. I was hoping Tab or again Brousard would be that player for us this year. So far I am not convinced.

I need your opinions: Last season I remember reading on the net an article by Chick Ludwig of the Dayton Daily News on how ho-hum the Battle of Ohio had become; that no one really cares about the Bengals/Browns rivalry anymore, including most of the state of Ohio. With the continued success of Pittsburgh and Baltimore, Indianapolis and other popular NFL teams that pick up fans in Ohio, Ludwig said that most fans just don't care anymore.

I live in Austin, Texas, now, and am a native of Jamestown, Ohio (20 miles east of Dayton). I grew up a huge Bengals fan and remain just as rabid today, even in the middle of Cowboys and Texans country. Of course no one writes or reports about the rivalry here, but I can't believe that no one cares about it anymore back home. Is it true?

Of course Ohio fans still care about the Cinn-Cleve game... Has it lost some of luster? Yes due to the fact that both teams have struggled in recent years..

When both teams are competeing for the division championship like they were in the 80's with Boomer and Bernie it'll once again be something special..Its going to take awhile but its still great to beat the team up north ....

I need your opinions:  Last season I remember reading on the net an article by Chick Ludwig of the Dayton Daily News on how ho-hum the Battle of Ohio had become; that no one really cares about the Bengals/Browns rivalry anymore, including most of the state of Ohio.  With the continued success of Pittsburgh and Baltimore, Indianapolis and other popular NFL teams that pick up fans in Ohio, Ludwig said that most fans just don't care anymore. 

I live in Austin, Texas, now, and am a native of Jamestown, Ohio (20 miles east of Dayton).  I grew up a huge Bengals fan and remain just as rabid today, even in the middle of Cowboys and Texans country.  Of course no one writes or reports about the rivalry here, but I can't believe that no one cares about it anymore back home.  Is it true?

Well I don't know if this is a great place for this question, because of potential bias, but I'll answer it. I think Mr. Ludwig was exaggerating just a tad. The rivalry certainly doesn't have the same flare as it did in the good old days, but it's not dead.

There's no doubt that serious Bengals and Browns fans care about the rivalry, as can be seen by the numberous trolls on this very forum. The rivalry is "slumping" if you will. Neither team has been successful in recent years, and until that changes on a large scale, fewer people will care.

Until both teams are worth watching, The Colts, Ravens, and Steelers will continue to take our fans away from us.

I need your opinions: Last season I remember reading on the net an article by Chick Ludwig of the Dayton Daily News on how ho-hum the Battle of Ohio had become; that no one really cares about the Bengals/Browns rivalry anymore, including most of the state of Ohio. With the continued success of Pittsburgh and Baltimore, Indianapolis and other popular NFL teams that pick up fans in Ohio, Ludwig said that most fans just don't care anymore.

I live in Austin, Texas, now, and am a native of Jamestown, Ohio (20 miles east of Dayton). I grew up a huge Bengals fan and remain just as rabid today, even in the middle of Cowboys and Texans country. Of course no one writes or reports about the rivalry here, but I can't believe that no one cares about it anymore back home. Is it true?

Oh, I can tell you, now that I'm in college, that the rivalry still matters. There are a bunch of Browns fans here, as well as Steelers fans, and both rivalries among our age group atleast, are still going strong. I guess if you live in other parts of the state than around Cincinnati or Cleveland, it might be a little weaker, but I think it's still a big deal.

No way.

Some of the things that are said at work,and some of the things I've watched at Bengals Browns games show it is still indeed a rivalry.

My memories of last year at Cle are all about the Clowns consistently going to the TE in the red zone. That killed us as our LB's were not making plays. Apart from the 99 yarder meltdown, which is not exactly something that they gameplanned or that hould happen again, we have to stop the TE. We did a good job keeping the rats and stains in the middle of the field but, for some reason, the clowns had more luck scoring. If we can do a better job there, although we will not shut them out, we should win.

I think they have no answer to a balanced mix of Rudi, Perry, Chad, TJ. If CP can get a little more accurate we should have 1 or 2 big plays in the first half of offense and then grind. I think the most pleasant surprise of the pre-season for the Bengals was the running game/O-line play (1st team). I think we should be able to run the ball and that should = W. Prediction (fwiw) 17 - 6.

As important as this game is for us, it's even more of a big game for the Brownies. It's their home opener with a new coach and I'm sure they are looking at this game as one of their few possible W's for this season.

If the Bengals show up ready to play (the biggest question in my mind) then I see them prevailing by 7 points. If they sleepwalk at all, then watch out.

Pediction: Our running game is going to be the difference - Bengals outgain the Browns on the ground with our run D doing an adequate job, and one of our newbies (Thurman, Ohalete or Pollock) making a big hit to force a fumble which ends up being the difference maker.

As important as this game is for us, it's even more of a big game for the Brownies. It's their home opener with a new coach and I'm sure they are looking at this game as one of their few possible W's for this season.

If the Bengals show up ready to play (the biggest question in my mind) then I see them prevailing by 7 points. If they sleepwalk at all, then watch out.

Pediction: Our running game is going to be the difference - Bengals outgain the Browns on the ground with our run D doing an adequate job, and one of our newbies (Thurman, Ohalete or Pollock) making a big hit to force a fumble which ends up being the difference maker.

I agree to a point. Crennel will have them pumped for this game... and I don't think they are going to be as bad as most. Crennel will get them a few wins on his own.

That said, Crennel simply doesn't have the personel to do his thing yet... this is the first game of the first year of his rebuild, it won't run very smoothly. It's kind of like Marvin Lewis in '03 with the Bengals. He had a good idea, he had a plan... but it certainly wasn't a one year plan (Here's to hoping it was a 3-year plan). Their first game was a loss at home 30-10 against Denver.

Not an divisional opponent, so it's a bit different... but we were sloppy, and I would say that the Bengals had more talent in '03 than the Browns have right now. I'm looking for a win here... but I agree not by more than 10 points, and there will probably be plenty of nail-biting to go around Bengaldome.

I think it's a blessing to play them on the road the first game of the year. This is our best chance to beat them in Cleveland more so than any other time in the season.

Hey... just read this off of "The Sporting News" website.

The Bengals' offense has fantasy firepower in their big three of QB Carson Palmer, RB Rudi Johnson, and WR Chad Johnson, and they are champing at the bit to get at their bitter division rivals in Week 1. Cleveland's defense, which allowed 325 yards/game last season, is undergoing a major overhaul to a complex 3-4 scheme and is not ready to shut down the Bengals. The Browns can only hope to keep the Bengals from scoring "half a hundred."

Made me smile. Thought everyone woould enjoy... except for who? of course.

STOP THE RUN.

Yeah, I think Marvin's motivational shirts should have said, "STOP THE RUN" instead of "DO YOUR JOB". They're more to the point, and basically what the Bengals need to do if they are to have a chance at the playoffs.

Either that or "Don't drop the ball". I think either would be fine.

STOP THE RUN.

Yeah, I think Marvin's motivational shirts should have said, "STOP THE RUN" instead of "DO YOUR JOB". They're more to the point, and basically what the Bengals need to do if they are to have a chance at the playoffs.

Either that or "Don't drop the ball". I think either would be fine.

True dat.

Beautiful Avatar by the way.