Week 1 /The Browns game thread....

combatbengal

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that penalties will play a large part in the outcome. The Bengals can stop themselves with penalties and turnovers. I'm willing to believe that the turnovers at the beginning of last season were primarily a function of Carson's being a first-year starter. However, it seems like the Bengals often get false start type penalties early in the season.

My guess is that penalties will play a large part in the outcome. The Bengals can stop themselves with penalties and turnovers. I'm willing to believe that the turnovers at the beginning of last season were primarily a function of Carson's being a first-year starter. However, it seems like the Bengals often get false start type penalties early in the season.

You bring up a good point. Even if we manage to win the game, a large number of penalties would be a very bad sign. One thing slow starting teams always do is make dumb mental mistakes early, like false starts. That will be a good way to guage what to expect during the game and in coming weeks.

Beating the Browns despite penalties and turnovers is the equivalent of losing to the Vikings for the same reasons.

Still buddies tho ........... right ?????????

Yeah, looking back my post seems a little hostile. Sorry for the confusion. Go Bengals.

B) Just havin fun ..... I didn't take it as hostile, so no worries.

And you're right .... 14 years is enough to make you jumpy. It's a wonder there is a message board for the Bengals or fans to patronize it.

As if being a Bengals fan isn't bad enough ..... I'm a Reds fan as well .... and worse yet ... I've brainwashed both of my kids to be Reds and Bengals fans as well ...... and now I'm working on my grandson.

There's got to be a really dirty corner of hell just waiting for me. Rev. ..... You gotta Help me ... I can fell it already ..... but I just won't repent. I'm still a fan of the Bengals ... and Reds .... and Bearcats :ph34r::ph34r: :player: :ph34r:

Special teams has me a little worried . Graham hasn't kicked many long kicks for awhile & the Clowns return guy (Cribs) looks dangerous. It's hard to say a specific play, since there's so many different plays you can use to attack certain positions/areas of the field & you can create mismatches just by using different players & how they line up but with that said , I'd like to see Perry & Rudi in the backfield @ the same time. I think that would create a couple of mismatches like Perry being covered by a LB, run a playaction w/ Rudi to freeze the other LB's , you would think they'll double CJ so you should have TJ & KW/ CH , I'm liking CH, one on one with CH going deep. We didn't see them in the backfield together as much as I thought in the preseason, maybe they was saving it for when it counts? GO BENGALS!!! Jonboat

I think the offensive scheme they showed against the Colts will most likely be the pattern for the season. Baxters out ??? look for them to pick on his back up. Again ala colts ... passes to Perry.

Hopefully, establish a lead and then grind it out with RJ. Enough passing and Perry to keep them honest and eat clock.

Don't let them get the running game going. Pressure the qb .... force hurries = turnovers .... turnovers = win column.

Realistically ...... Bengals 27 Browns 17 or 20.

Crennell will have them playing hard, but like Lewis' first year ... he just doesn't have the players yet.

I have a confession to make. Trent Dilfer scares me.

Or maybe it's a veteran QB working against a rookie MLB that scares me. Any veteran QB.

Agreed. I don't care how bad Dilfer is, he is a smart football player, and should be able to exploit any rookie mistakes. I don't like the thought of those fast Browns receivers running against Ohalete either. Good thing we have the same advantage on them with Palmer.

Expectations at this point

Bengals lose to Browns

Major disappointment - season in tatters just as it begins

Bengals squeak out a victory over Browns

Disappointment - expectations adjusted to 7-9 as a best case scenario - don't ask about worst case.....

Bengals solidly beat the Browns

This is what is expected. Calm reigns. The possibility of playoffs is intact

Bengals annihilate the Browns by a margin of 3 touchdowns or more

Giddiness. Playoff hopes affirmed. General joy for life abounds.

Expectations at this point

Bengals lose to Browns

Major disappointment - season in tatters just as it begins

Bengals squeak out a victory over Browns

Disappointment - expectations adjusted to 7-9 as a best case scenario - don't ask about worst case.....

Bengals solidly beat the Browns

This is what is expected. Calm reigns. The possibility of playoffs is intact

Bengals annihilate the Browns by a margin of 3 touchdowns or more

Giddiness. Playoff hopes affirmed. General joy for life abounds.

Ooh! Ooh! I'll take door #4 please! :D

BTW...put a heavy lock on door #1 and toss the key into the river, would ya' TJ?

Yes, I am a homer but, I don't see the Browns scoring at all unless our offense gives them the ball. Dilfer can't get the ball deep, their offensive live is old and slow (with the exception of Faine) Bryant is a good receiver but is inconsistent in his route running and Edwards is a rookie. As long as we maintain our gap assignments (do your job!) we should be able to stop the running game since neither running back is able to create much without help.

No turnovers or stupid mistakes on special teams and I see 28-0. I just don'ty think the Browns are capable of generating points without help at this stage in their development, anyone remember Marvin's first game?

The Browns will score...I'm certain of it. It is rather difficult to shut out ANY team in the NFL...no matter who you are and who you are playing.

Keeping in mind that all AFCN teams play each other like it's the super bowl I'm going to go with a closer score. I don't think the Browns will have a good team or record, but I do think Romeo will have them coming to play. They will be stoked and looking for an upset...as will the crowd in Cle.

28-21...Close game all the way with a late 4th quarter TD from Palmer to Perry or Henry to put it away.