Kellen Winslow is the "Shleprock" of the NFL

Man...this poor dude can't buy a break can he? If it weren't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all! (Personally I think ol' "Who" is jinxing him.) Here's the story from the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Reporters did a double take at the player sitting in front of Kellen Winslow Jr.'s locker on Tuesday. It was Winslow - looking pale, thinner and contrite, and wearing a catheter feeding antibiotics into his left arm. Winslow said he has battled a staph infection for six weeks while recovering from knee surgery on June 14. He was hospitalized a couple of days. He said his weight is down to 225 - 29 below his listed playing weight. He said he has cried "now and then" about having to sit out his second season in a row after tearing his right anterior cruciate ligament in a motorcycle crash.

"It was unfortunate what happened, but you just adapt, you know," Winslow said. "It was a mistake. I've just got to prove to Cleveland and prove to myself, mostly, that I can do this and come back." Winslow hardly has been seen since Romeo Crennel's first training camp opened on July 29. It was around that time that the staph infection developed in his right leg. He thinks it may have formed by rubbing vitamin E on the incision scar on his right knee.

He said he was instructed to keep away from the practice field and stay in a sterile environment to avoid further infection. Winslow has not been able to lift weights because of the catheter in his arm, and that accounts for his weight loss. Besides the torn ligament, Winslow suffered a chip fracture of his right femur in the crash, but he said that has healed. The knee remains swollen. "There's a lot of scar tissue in there, but that's breaking up," he said. "I've been riding a [stationary] bike, trying to get better range of motion. They do a stretch test where they bend my knee to where I'm almost crying. It's very painful."

He said he expects to be back to full health in February and is determined to repay the Browns on the field for supporting him through this ordeal. Winslow violated a "hazardous activities" clause in his contract when he injured himself while motorcycling. The Browns had the right to recoup more than $10 million in bonuses in the contract. But instead of collecting $5.03 million already paid, the Browns proposed a new contract that would extend Winslow's deal one year and give him the chance to earn back most of his money. If Winslow fulfills his obligations, the motorcycle accident will end up costing him about $1 million. Negotiations on the new deal are incomplete.

"[The Browns have been] true to their word, you know," Winslow said. "Other organizations wouldn't have done that. Other organizations would have done it another way. Might have released me, blah blah blah. So, Mr. [Randy] Lerner and Phil Savage, thank you. Thank you." Winslow was a costly addition to the Browns even before the accident. Former coach Butch Davis traded a second-round pick to Detroit to move up one notch and select Winslow with the sixth pick of the 2004 draft. Winslow suffered a broken fibula and torn ankle ligaments in the second game playing special teams.

He said his interest in motorcycling was not the result of a restless year off from football. "I just had an interest in bikes, as many players do," he said. "I'm an edgy kind of guy. . . . I like stuff like that, playing video games, paintball. I met a friend who had a bike and he taught me how to ride. It's just an unfortunate thing that happened. I lost control of it. It happens." He said he was aware of the clause in his contract that specifically prohibits motorcycling, but "you think you're invincible . . . nothing's going to happen to you."

"I did learn from this. I've just got to make better decisions." He said he is determined to fulfill his potential as a player. "I love Lerner. I love Phil Savage," said Winslow. "I love the organization. This is where I want to be. I will prove to myself and my teammates that I'll come back stronger from this."

Seriously, he better be careful. These new staph infections are dangerous. Especially the ones you pick up in healthcare facilities like he did. (Our forum member/medic ArmyBengalFan could probably detail the facts on this better than I.)

And just in case any of you here are wondering what the hell is a "Shleprock" is...

...from the cartoon series "The Flintstones:" schlep.jpg

"I'm talkin' bout that bad baddd luckkk" Social Distortion

I swear, if this guy doesn't dominate when he comes back, I'm taking BillyBroome hostage.

"I'm talkin' bout that bad baddd luckkk" Social Distortion

I swear, if this guy doesn't dominate when he comes back, I'm taking BillyBroome hostage.

:o Stay away from me you homo! The only person that "takes" me is the hooker I pay once a month to dress up like a cop, show up at my house, and attempt a cavity search!

:blink: Wait a minute...I'm sharing too much, ain't I? :rolleyes:

And just in case any of you here are wondering what the hell is a "Shleprock" is...

...from the cartoon series "The Flintstones:" schlep.jpg

wowzy wowzy woo woo...

(and if u get that u watched too many cartoons :lol: PS billy, that isn't from The Flintsones but the later spinoff, "The Pebbles and Bam-Bam Show," the one with the Addams Family living next door...jezsus do I need a life or what? :lol:)

wowzy wowzy woo woo...

(and if u get that u watched too many cartoons :lol: PS billy, that isn't from The Flintsones but the later spinoff, "The Pebbles and Bam-Bam Show," the one with the Addams Family living next door...jezsus do I need a life or what? :lol:)

flint-pebbles-07.jpg

You are quite right Joisey, I stand corrected, and oddly enough, I've never been more happy about that in my life!! :lol:

All I can say, billy, is that I need a life :lol: In fact, just for kicks I decided to see if typing "moron.com" into my browser got me anywhere...

...and whattaya know...it did... http://www.moron.com/

:lol: :lol: The rice burner rant is the best. That's about half of NJ. I think it I see another Neon with a spolier I'll scream!

All I can say, billy, is that I need a life :lol: In fact, just for kicks I decided to see if typing "moron.com" into my browser got me anywhere...

...and whattaya know...it did... http://www.moron.com/

:lol: :lol: The rice burner rant is the best. That's about half of NJ. I think it I see another Neon with a spolier I'll scream!

Dude, I know what you mean. That stuff is all over Arizona/California. These imports are hopped up to be "so fast and so furious" but only sound like the kind of long farts you get when you get the morning after Taco Bell and the pressure on your ass cheeks is just right, or better yet, a huge swarm of West Nile Mosquitos!

I just think it's rediculous. ESPECIALLY when they hang a spoiler half as big as the car itself on the back, and think that's cool. Sorry, but if that's cool, then buy some leathers, hang a sissy bar on a moped, and cruise the town on that too, because it's about equally as cool.

FACT: The car (any car) has to be going at least 135 to 140 mph before that wing/spoiler/whale tail has the slightest POSITIVE effect on the vehicals handling. Everything up until then is plain old drag on an already overtaxed four banger.

I will give that crowd credit for their bumpin stereo's though. Too bad the interior of the car is too small to optimize the sound for anyone except possibly the driver. All everybody else hears is just the sonic wave from the sub woofer. FROM 5 BLOCKS AWAY!!

Also have you seen these underbody colored flouresent lights they mount to the floorpan to light up the street beneath them yet? I have only on question as to these things. Why? :wacko: How about those "spinner" hubcaps that appear to be rotating even when the vehical is motionless. Makes as much sense as recording an engine running and playing it over a loudspeaker when your engine is shut off! :lol:

It's all just a bit too much. Isn't your overly loud, rodded out catalytic converter with a low back pressure free flow muffler exhayst system, and $10,000 sound system already drawing enough attention from the cops without you helping them single your car out of bunch that probably aren't following every law to the letter as it is? If you know someone like this, and they are always whining, "The cops are just pickin' on me for no reason!!" Slap them for me, and tell them they're asking to be pulled over once a night. <_<

And last but not least, it boils down to this, they've taken a decent economical vehical, and modded the engine to where the milage is 1/2 to 2/3rds of what it was originally. With gas at $3 + and going higher, why make your import get the same milage as a freakin' Suburban with a 350 V8?!?

Oh yeah. I remember. To sound like that cool swarm of West Nile Mosquitos... :rolleyes: