How abou this draft for the Bengals

This is based on if we trade Dillon for second round pick.

1. Karlos Dansby LB Auburn. Speed is needed back in our LB's and Dansby is a Spikes clone.

2. Chad Lavalais DT LSU. Uh need help against the run and this dude can team up well with Thornton, and allow OG to be cut.

2b. Jammall Brimmer S UNLV. hard hitting safety that can play the ball well. Might remind us of David Fulcher.

3. Alex Stepanovich C OSU. Solid interior lineman that is needed can play both center and guard.

4. Joey Thomas CB MSU. Small name school player that can make major impact.

5. Darrell Lee DE Florida. Good DE that can provide some depth and solid play with spelling Smith.

6. Fred Russell RB Iowa. Falls in draft due to lack of size, but Bengals take him with visions of 3rd down back

7. Jabari Greer CB Tennessee. Picked for special teams and possible depth.

In FA The Bengals sign a veteran CB and OG.

I'm not sure being a Spikes clone is a good recommendation :lol:. Spikes racked up some nice numbers but was never a consistent big-play guy. And I'm not sold on Dansby as being what we need. With Simmons and Abdullah we have plenty of speed at LB, we need a run-stuffer (Rod Davis in the second)?

Lavalais would be a good 2nd round pickup but the way things look now we will indeed need a higher pick to snag him (and getting a high 2nd for CD is, shall we say, optomistic).

Personally I'm hoping somone good at DE (Smith?), DT (Starks?) or CB (Strait?) slips to us at 17. I could live with your selections, tho.

Okay if we don't pick lb first then why not draft someone like Chris Gamble or Deangelo Hall over Derric Strait. Strait will become a very good nickle corner in the NFL, but is limited because of his size to play corner on every down. I don't mind that we draft cb or DT in first round just as long as we draft defense in the first. I do like the idea of Rod Davis in the second round and move Hardy to olb. Thanks for the imput.

B

Strait will become a very good nickle corner in the NFL, but is limited because of his size to play corner on every down.

Because he's 30 times better than what we have now. I don't care who or what we get, I just hope we get the guy that fits the system best over the best guy available -- not always the solution.

Hall would be awesome, but I don't think he'll make it past Pitt (if he doesn't go sooner!). I'm not crazy about Gamble because of his lack of time at corner in college. Frankly, I'm not super-crazy about *any* CB in the first -- we already have Weathersby to break in -- and like you I hope they find a vet CB in FA. But if the DTs and DEs are picked over & its a Dansby/Strait tossup I probably go Strait and look for an ILB in round 2. But I couldn't complain much about Dansby in the first, either...

Bottom line: still too early to do much more than toss names around (which is fun, don't get me wrong). Have to see how the FA thing works out.

Lewis dealt with a mlb out of miami before, he was called undersized, and now is the top lb out there of course im talking about Ray Lewis, so why not go with Vilma sounds alot like Ray, and maybe eventually he will turn in to the premier lb out there :) just a thought

If we do draft a corner in round 1.. i'm leaning towards DeAngelo Hall. love his speed.. he's a playmaker.. he challenges recievers.. and he plays the run... about the same size of Terrence Newman, might be a step faster..

Sad that Corey Webster didn't come out... good size, speed, and technique...

Alex Stepanovich should easily be around in the later rounds.. like 5 or 6.

Last check.. Jamal Brimmer is staying... i know most draft boards have him coming out.. but haven't read anything about his declaring for the draft.

A safety i do like a lot.. Etric Pruitt...from souther miss.. good speed.. coverage skills.. plays run and pass.... and he's a big safety as well...and most importantly ... smart... won't take a lot of guesses..

If we do draft a corner in round 1.. i'm leaning towards DeAngelo Hall. love his speed.. he's a playmaker.. he challenges recievers.. and he plays the run... about the same size of Terrence Newman, might be a step faster..

If Hall is there at 17 the Bengals need to jump all over him, hell, if he is available a few spots up they should trade up to get him. He's got skills, and he's a hokie...gotta love that.