Bob Huggins

jjakq27

Quit or be fired! Bob Huggins has 24 hours to decide. Somehow I don't see him resigning.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...T0101/307180007

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

UC to Huggins: Resign or be fired

By Paul Daugherty

Enquirer staff writer

Bob Huggins, the winningest basketball coach in University of Cincinnati history, will be fired or forced to resign within the next 24 hours. Huggins has been asked to resign, effective immediately, a source close to the situation said Tuesday morning. Bearcats associate head coach Andy Kennedy will be asked to become interim head coach.

The move comes two months after university president Nancy Zimpher declined to exercise the rollover option of Huggins’ contract. The ensuing divide between Zimpher and Huggins fueled speculation that Huggins’ 16-year run at UC might end abruptly.

A source said a letter would be sent Tuesday to Huggins’ representative Richard Katz asking the coach to accept a $3 million buyout of the remaining two years of his contract. Huggins would have 24 hours to accept the deal. If he rejected it, the source said, Huggins would be “terminated without cause” and compensation would be reduced to $2 million.

“I can confirm that we have been in discussions with the university concerning our request for the restoration of the four-year rollever, or an extension of the contract so that Bob can retire as the head coach as the head coach of the University of Cincinnati,” Katz said.

The shocking end to the 51-year-old Huggins’ highly successful run comes barely two months before the Bearcats begin practice for their first season in the Big East Conference. It is certain to spark fan and donor protest and, possibly, backlash from recruits who have committed to UC, and current players loyal to Huggins.

Huggins’ UC record of 399-127 and his string of 14 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances (third longest in the nation) was not enough to overcome the poor national image the basketball program had acquired under his watch. Even as player graduation rates improved in recent years, and Huggins’ on-court demeanor became less tempestuous, Zimpher and UC’s Board of Trustees determined the program to be a liability to the school’s overall image.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really too bad. And it has nothing to do with whether or not I like Huggins.

It's just with this move to the new conference, you'd like to have some kind of program continuity. You've got to think that all this coaching turmoil is going to negatively affect recruiting, which is a shame.

it really tarnishes UC's rep as they come into a very elite basketball conference.

Considering the team has had criminal problems for years that went all the way up from the players to the coaching staff, I don't see how firing Huggins tarnishes anything. He's been running the collegiate equivalent of the Trail Blazers since he's been there.

it really tarnishes UC's rep as they come into a very elite basketball conference.

Considering the team has had criminal problems for years that went all the way up from the players to the coaching staff, I don't see how firing Huggins tarnishes anything. He's been running the collegiate equivalent of the Trail Blazers since he's been there.

You're right, the past 16 years have been just miserable, with them making the NCAA tourney every year and all. Get rid of Huggins at all costs, right Zimpher? If this is true, they may never recover from the bafoonary!

You're right, the past 16 years have been just miserable, with them making the NCAA tourney every year and all.  Get rid of Huggins at all costs, right Zimpher?  If this is true, they may never recover from the bafoonary!

If you like cheering for criminals with IQs of 8, it's fantastic. Kind of like being a Ravens fan.

Just as I thought. You have no idea what you're talking about. Here's an idea, check out where they stand academically, compared to the rest of the Big East, then talk about something else, because you have no clue here.

You're right, the past 16 years have been just miserable, with them making the NCAA tourney every year and all.  Get rid of Huggins at all costs, right Zimpher?  If this is true, they may never recover from the bafoonary!

If you like cheering for criminals with IQs of 8, it's fantastic. Kind of like being a Ravens fan.

Just as I thought. You have no idea what you're talking about. Here's an idea, check out where they stand academically, compared to the rest of the Big East, then talk about something else, because you have no clue here.

Agreed, Jet -

the major reason for this firing has nothing to do with academics, basketball, or criminal charges. This is a bullshot power struggle by Nancy Zimpher, who has stated publicly that she would 'consider' working as AD after Bob Goin leaves - similar to what her mentor did at OSU. There was no way Huggins was going to let a woman with no knowledge of athletics be his AD, regardless of how many PhD's she may have.

If true (Daugherty has been known to stretch the truth to the point of breaking), this is a sad day for UC fans. It will effectively destroy recruiting, both athletes and a replacement coach.

NANCY ZIMPHER IS AN IGNORANT SLUT!

How does it not tarnish the rep of UC? I'm not talking about some of their past players that were bad for the program, there have been more positive faces than negative, but of course the negatives always get blown out of proportion. What I'm talking about is the 14 straight appearances by UC in the NCAA tourney under Huggins. Hmmm, last time I checked that was a little impressive.

Tell me again why this doesn't hurt UC?

How does it not tarnish the rep of UC?  I'm not talking about some of their past players that were bad for the program, there have been more positive faces than negative, but of course the negatives always get blown out of proportion.  What I'm talking about is the 14 straight appearances by UC in the NCAA tourney under Huggins.  Hmmm, last time I checked that was a little impressive.

Tell me again why this doesn't hurt UC?

What kind of recruits has Huggins been able to get? Thugs.

How does this harm UC Athletics? Well, for a couple years, they might not make the tourney, and they might be smote by the rest of their conference. In the meanwhile, with any luck, a coach you can respect, who recruits players you can respect, who work as a TEAM will be put into place, and he will rebuild the team.

Bob Huggins is an arrogant drunk who is a blight on our city. He can't coach worth a crap, only getting thugs to play who, while they can get to the NCAA tourney each year, can't get past the first or second round because while he can pick thugs who have good individual games, he can't get anyone to play as a team. A REAL coach wouldn't just get to the big dance, he'd do it without showing up with a condom on and no pants. He wouldn't go out drinking with fellow students and find a way to convince his staff that drinking and driving was just fine, so long as you get away with it.

Bob Huggins has tarnished the reputation of the school, and with him gone, they can get better recruits.

CYA Bob, we can do better.

OK, I agree with you on most of your points TNBT. Still, UC has to do something about the whole program, it's not just on one person. I agree, Huggs isn't the best of role models, but he was a good coach, and it's hard to see him go.

However, I will admit that part of me is refreshed to maybe see a revamping of a potentially powerhouse program. It's just hard to realize that UC is basically going to start over. Maybe Marvin can find time for the 'Cats?

Bad timing on Zimpher's part. Its like she has no concept of college athletics.

And if I hear graduation rates brought up one more time! UGHHH...we all know the facts and numbers are skewed.

UC will get another good coach, but Huggins is an institution. The next coach better know what they are getting into. Especially with the initial recruiting backlash. It's an instant 5 year building plan. I myself hate to see that.

Bad timing on Zimpher's part. Its like she has no concept of college athletics.

And if I hear graduation rates brought up one more time! UGHHH...we all know the facts and numbers are skewed.

UC will get another good coach, but Huggins is an institution. The next coach better know what they are getting into. Especially with the initial recruiting backlash. It's an instant 5 year building plan. I myself hate to see that.

I agree, the timing isn't right, frankly, this should have been done when he went to court for the DUI, or back when they first asked him to step down earlier this summer.

Huggins isn't an institution, he BELONGS in an institution. If they get a good coach, there won't be a recruiting backlash. Assuming they don't hire Bobby Knight, I'm excited about this.

Hey Coach Huggins, go coach at SCREW U!

Sorry, guys . . . I have to take the low road on this.

Huggins has been able to get the best athletes interested in attending UC. They go to UC because Huggins is known as a tough, defensive-minded task master, and because they CAN GET IN! UC will NEVER get elite scholar athletes - they go with coach K at Duke or Tubby at UK. He gets very good basketball players who are generally academically and economically challenged.

Have there been problems? Definitely. Too many altercations with the 'man'? Certainly. Not enough 'economic excellence? Probably - especially early in his tenure.

But when the team starts having consecutive losing seasons, and the booster money dries up, and the football program cuts back 'cause of the lost athletic bucks, will the Trustees take the high road and state "at least we graduate 75% of them". Of course not - they'll fire that slut Zimpher and try to put PRIDE BACK IN THE PROGRAM. Until then, let's face it - THEY SCREWED UP!

Huggins needs to go. It is true that he has hurt the reputation of the university, even as he has been relatively successful as a basketball coach. But... I have never seen such incompetent handling of a situation such as this, ever... Nancy Zimpher needs to go as well. She is obviously a complete fool who will do more harm to the reputation of UC than Huggins ever did.

UC basketball will go on after this fiasco. Being from WV I was devastated when Huggins turned down his alma-mater's offer a few years ago to come back and coach. After he turned him down they went out and hired a little known coach from Richmond named John Belien who has recruited bright, hardworking kids of high character who can shoot the lights out.

btw.. They made it to the Big East championship game and the NCAA Elite Eight last year. I never ever thought that he would be successful in the Big East recruiting the kids he has and playing the type of game he does. Just shows there is more than one way to be successful.

Welcome to the Big East.

Sorry, guys . . . I have to take the low road on this.

Huggins has been able to get the best athletes interested in attending UC. They go to UC because Huggins is known as a tough, defensive-minded task master, and because they CAN GET IN! UC will NEVER get elite scholar athletes - they go with coach K at Duke or Tubby at UK. He gets very good basketball players who are generally academically and economically challenged.

Have there been problems? Definitely. Too many altercations with the 'man'? Certainly. Not enough 'economic excellence? Probably - especially early in his tenure.

But when the team starts having consecutive losing seasons, and the booster money dries up, and the football program cuts back 'cause of the lost athletic bucks, will the Trustees take the high road and state "at least we graduate 75% of them". Of course not - they'll fire that slut Zimpher and try to put PRIDE BACK IN THE PROGRAM. Until then, let's face it - THEY SCREWED UP!

Frankly, I'd rather have a school known for academic excellence than a drunk basketball coach who can get to the NCAA tourney every year and never win.

Miami University doesn't have the alumni or the boosters complaining for better players, they are excited when there is one student athlete every decade that goes pro. They root for the excellence of the education.

btw.. They made it to the Big East championship game and the NCAA Elite Eight last year. I never ever thought that he would be successful in the Big East recruiting the kids he has and playing the type of game he does. Just shows there is more than one way to be successful.

Welcome to the Big East.

Hell yeah. Go WVU! Go Pissnozzle!

Not really. Here's a stat for you. Name the only player selected in the first round of the 2005 NBA draft that had his degree.

Answer: Jason Maxiell from UC. I think the reputation of the program is biased by those that see and hear what they want to hear. UC would not be in the Big East were it not for Bob Huggins. For him to not have the opportunity to coach and recruit in that league is a damm shame.

It is a dark day for UC. Five years from now people will rue the day Nancy Zimpher set foot on that campus.