18 game schedule

jjakq27

I heard that the NFL might change two of the preseason games into regular season games and play a total of 18 games per season. With the number of minicamps and off-season workouts, the feeling is that teams don't need as much time to get physically ready or to assess players. Obviously, increased TV and ticket revenues are a major factor also.

I think they might have to expand the rosters beyond 53 in order to have sufficient depth in case of injury. Other than that I can't think of many other drawbacks. If I am paying top dollar for a ticket, it should count.

That proposal has been floating around for years. From what I understand, though, the coaches don't think 2 preseason games is enough. OTOH, given that the fourth preseason game is typically a joke, where the starters play the first series and sit, I think there would be less oppostion to axing that and adding a real game in instead.

Where did you hear this ?

It was up for consideration back in 2003. I heard one of the local sports-talk guys discussing it today during lunch.

http://football.about.com/b/a/024329.htm

I tried to find something more current but could not. However, I thought it might be worth throwing out there as a topic of discussion.

Where did you hear this ?

It was up for consideration back in 2003. I heard one of the local sports-talk guys discussing it today during lunch.

http://football.about.com/b/a/024329.htm

I tried to find something more current but could not. However, I thought it might be worth throwing out there as a topic of discussion.

Thanks ...

I am not too sure that this would work either, it seems that a lot of players are rather worn down by the end of the season as it is.