The coach speaks...

jjakq27

Was that you jjakq27?  Well obviously I guess so, what are the chances, right?  Great question: How has your defensive philosphy and Coach Frazier's meshed, in your opinion?

Yep...that be me! B)

I also asked him if he had any preconceptions about any players based on his previous jobs in Baltimore and Pittsburgh and was he pleasantly surprised by anyone. He didn't answer that one though.

Great stuff, jj. From his coments about the draft and the DBs, it sounds like he could very well purge the whole secondary, cap-willing. Also good to see o-line up on the list of priorities. TJ couldn't beat out K-wash once he was healthy? Buh-bye. Rudi "should not be a problem"? Hey Corey: Buh-bye.

From his coments about the draft and the DBs, it sounds like he could very well purge the whole secondary

I can't believe he'd be seriously considering that when the problem defensively is so obviously the defensive line. Did everyone already forget how the "mighty" Cleveland running game ran roughshod all over the Bengals in the last game!?! Thank God there was a secondary to stop most of the runners the line couldn't! We need help on the line first and foremost. Help in the defensive backfield would be gravy at this point!

I can see the defensive line being addressed in the draft (I've seen a few mocks with Will Smith dropping to us, for instance) but it sounds like Marvin blames the scheme (read: Leslie Frazier) and/or a lack of execution by the line more than personnel. On the other hand, in the secondary, there's no question we've got mostly poor-to-average players. We lack a ballhawking safety and Tory James is our only legit CB.

It does make a certain amount of sense given the AFCN. Look at how the Titans handled the Ravens: unlike the Steelers, Bengals and Browns, the Titans have actual NFL-caliber corners, which allowed them to stack the line to stop Jamal without fear of giving up too much in the passing game. And while there are some good WRs in the division, no team looks to have a Pro Bowler at QB. Wright/Boller? Couch/Holcomb? Maddox/Batch/draft choice? Anything resembling a decent secondary ought to give these guys fits -- and free up that safety to put in the box to stuff the run.

Just a thought...

From his coments about the draft and the DBs, it sounds like he could very well purge the whole secondary

I can't believe he'd be seriously considering that when the problem defensively is so obviously the defensive line.

I thought the same thing when I read his comment on that and several other items. However, he may be throwing some smoke bombs out there too, to not tip his hand completely. With us drafting in the middle of the round like we will be (thank God), he may be concerned about telling too much about what their priorities are.