Report: Gibbs considering return to Redskins

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs could make a surprise return to the Washington Redskins.

The Washington Post, citing sources with connections to Gibbs, reported late Tuesday on its Web site that Gibbs was in serious discussions about returning to the team that he led to three Super Bowl titles.

The 63-year-old Gibbs coached the Redskins from 1981-92 before resigning to pursue a career with his own NASCAR team. He has been adamant over the years about not wanting to coach again, although he has retained NFL connections. He is currently a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons.

The Redskins are seeking a replacement for Steve Spurrier, who resigned last week. They were known to have interviewed three candidates: former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Minnesota coach Dennis Green and Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.

Calls to the Redskins and to Gibbs' racing team were not immediately returned.

A similar report also appeared on CBS Sportsline.com.

Gibbs' racing teams have been among the most successful in NASCAR with two Winston Cup championships in the last four seasons. Bobby Labonte took the title in 2000 and Tony Stewart in 2002.

Gibbs' oldest son, J.D., is president of Joe Gibbs Racing. The former coach's youngest son, Coy, finished 14th last season in the Busch Series standings.

I just don't see this one happening. Coach Gibbs has won 2 Winston Cup championships in recent years and there is no reason he won't win more. He get's to see his family, and the pressure isn't as bad as the NFL and he doesn't have some pesky owner screwing up everything he tries to do....I see the Redskins coaching job as the least desirable coaching job in the NFL...I think coachs would rather coach for the Cardinals...I mean Snyder makes Mike Brown look like Paul Brown.....

Okay, I put my big foot in my big mouth. It seems that Foxsports has just confirmed that Coach Gibbs is returning to the Skins...I just can't believe he is willing to jump into that hornets nest, but good on him. And Good Luck, he's gonna need it.

Just in case you all didn't know, those of us from Baltimore hate the Redskins. My theory on it is that they were somewhat forced on us during the dark years without football, and resentment has built up. Unfortunately, I work in DC. These morons are geeking out like no tomorrow. The only satisfying part is that they do this every year, and every year they fall flat on their faces.

I hate the Redskins as much as I hate the Steelers, and way more than I dislike the Titans. They should give you a sense of it. <_<

Just in case you all didn't know, those of us from Baltimore hate the Redskins. My theory on it is that they were somewhat forced on us during the dark years without football, and resentment has built up. Unfortunately, I work in DC. These morons are geeking out like no tomorrow. The only satisfying part is that they do this every year, and every year they fall flat on their faces.

I hate the Redskins as much as I hate the Steelers, and way more than I dislike the Titans. They should give you a sense of it. <_<

So what are you trying to say???

;)