Draft Analysis

Draft Analysis by Desperate Derelict

I thought, for the most part, that everyone had a pretty good draft. Like all football fanatics, I love to read post-draft grades and rankings, so I thought I’d try to write one. If I inadvertently offend anyone during these ramblings . . . . too bad!

OVERALL – A 12 team league is tough for grabbing high quality players as RB #2, WR #3, and TE. Those that waited on QB, PK, or D/ST were rewarded with great value in the later rounds.

Grade: A

Boiler Bengals – The team to beat. Great starting RB’s in Tomlinson (1st) and Jordan (6th), and a top 3 QB with McNabb. J. Walker, Ji Smith, D. Branch, and T. Heap make a solid, if unspectacular, receiving corps. May have the best ‘D’ in New England. Bench isn’t great, but BB’s starters won’t be sitting very often.

Grade: A -

JungleBoy – Most consistent team put together – Dillon & D. Davis both top 10 backs, Bulger top 5 QB, and Boldin a top 10 WR. Trash positions (TE, PK, & D) capable of winning a few games with Shockey, Tynes, and Blitzburg. Numbers 2 & 3 receivers, Moulds and Evans, are both great WRs, but with their schedule and a very young QB will likely make them very inconsistent.

Grade: B +

CJ4Pres – If Priest Holmes and the rest of this team can stay healthy, this team will be tough to beat. Great starting RB’s in Holmes and T.Barber, and Trent Green should have a monster year at QB. Not thrilled with Chris Chambers, but Burleson, J. Porter, and McCardell are all stellar WR’s. The “Putz” and Indy’s ‘D’ takes this down to a B +.

Bengal4Life – Grabbed undisputed Fantasy King Peyton.Manning as QB, paired him with marvin Harrison, and then stole RB’s Clinton Portis (3rd) and J. Jones (4th). His other WR’s (Coles, RoWilliams) and crappy TE’s lower this to a B +.

Grade: B

Team Pain – Solid Team with best bench. Only Randy Moss is a likely stud that can win a game single-handedly, but your starting backfield of Vick, Rudi, and Westbrook sould be very steady. Best ‘trash’ positions in Gates, Vinateri, and Atlanta ‘D’ . Wideouts a little iffy in Kennison and Santana Moss, but QB Plummer (10th), RB Duckett (11th), and WR Keary Colbert (12th) great back-ups.

Grade: B -

Desperate Derelicts – No superstars, but a lot of scoring potential. Will live and die with the big Macs – McGahee and McAllister – at RB, with K.Jones and Arrington the best backup RB’s in the league. Solid WR trio in D-Jack, S.Smith, and Dennis Green’s favorite Fitz. Lucked into Kerry Collins in the 6th.

Grade: C +

Haters – This team has lots of “P”s => Potential and Platooning, Hasselbeck and Carr good 1 – 2 punch at QB, and Alexander, Bell and Cadillac can all be played with favorable matchups at RB. ALL other starting positions are extremely solid players that will produce points week after week.

Bubba’s Brigands – Hit and miss team – Got a ‘triple’ with great RB trio of J.Lewis, S. Jackson, and D. Foster, but struck out with Stokely and Chicago’s “D”. The best team for pairing up (i.e. ‘handcuffing’) players – Brees & Rivers, S. Jackson & Faulk. Will be a tough out.

Grade: C

Carson Is King – The Edge, Ahman, Favre, and Drew Bennett were 4 great picks out of the chute. Quite a falloff in WR with Muhammed and Ike Bruce. With Green, Favre, and Longwell as the PK, da King will do only as well as the Green Bay Packers.

Grade: C -

Tartan Terror - Scotty – I like you, but, IMHO, your draft sucked. Your first 2 picks were highly suspect: I thought Tom Brady was a huge reach in Round 1, and TO is unstable (and getting brittle). The rest of your receivers: Ward, Mike Clayton, and Wiggins are great; but your 2 starting RB’s (“My favorite” Martin & Bennett) are high risk guys, even for the middle rounds.

Grade: D+

Black Treacle – “Treacle” must mean “starts strong than fizzles out”. The first 3 picks of Culpepper, T. Hoyt, and R. Wayne were great, but the remainder was terrible. Unbelievable reach for Bengals ‘D’ in 4th and PK Stover in 6th left you with starting RB’s of Chris Brown and Kevin Barlow – YECCHHH!. Oh course, you’ll probably beat me 65 – 21 this year!

Grade: D -

Warlords - Oh, well, someone has to be last! We’re all Bengal’s fans here, you don’t have to prove it. Chad Johnson 4th overall was a stretch, but CP in the second was a huge reach – and then to ignore RB and your other 2 WRs ‘till the 6th round is idiotic. Now your starting backfield is Duce Staley and Warrick Dunn, at best two part-time runners. I fearlessly predict you will win fewer games than the Cleveland turds.

Good Luck, y’all. Looking forward to a fun year!

• 1 month later...